Hogue Avenger 1911 (Anyone found a review or used it)

This is a discussion on Hogue Avenger 1911 (Anyone found a review or used it) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been searching high and low for a review of the hogue Avenger system for the 1911. I have yet to find an actual ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hogue Avenger 1911 (Anyone found a review or used it)

Hogue Avenger 1911 (Anyone found a review or used it)

I have been searching high and low for a review of the hogue Avenger system for the 1911. I have yet to find an actual review of one. Just people saying it will suck like the last try at it.

Would like to know if its worth the $900 or if I am a test mule.

Has anyone ever shot one/seen one in person or found an actual review of it.

Pics of it.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I've never even heard of one. Is it designed to be an improvement over the original design? Odd looking to put it mildly....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

What is it aside from being a top end replacement?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the info here; http://www.m1911.org/hogueavenger.htm and here http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html
    Upon reading the detail this is so cool on multiple levels.

Reason being I have a Marvel Precision .22LR top end (http://www.marvelprod.com) that I use for Bullseye training and general practice on the cheap as well and it works in concept exactly like this Avenger. It is _extremely_ accurate and thats running WWB .22LR JHP (!) out to 75' with adjustable iron sights (!) and no magnifier but my contacts or glasses. I was at the range Sunday and wondering/fantasizing to myself how great it would be if the same thing could be done in .45 ACP.
    Then bingo here your thread pops up!

If it's not too spendy I would certainly entertain this product.

- Janq likes nutty obscure stuff
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

1943 - 2009
    $900.00 for a slide & barrel?

Here's a link to the write-up.

http://www.m1911.org/hogueavenger.htm

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    $900.00 for a slide & barrel?
    LOL its a bit more than that. Fixed barrel system.

I just want to know if they are reliable or not. Everyone seems to bash it on 1911 forums but nobody has ever shot one. They just complain that the last time it was tried it sucked because an IPDA shooter had trouble with it. I know somebody out there had to have bought one.

I read those posts last night and Harold and they were not referring to this but some other and previous unit being used by Todd Jarrett as provided by Wolf that was based on a similar fixed barrel concept.

I'd spent an hour looking for info on this and I came across nobody anywhere who has actually shot one nor any reviews what so ever of it. This thing seems to date back to 2004 (!).
    I very much like the concept, do not mind as others the styling/looks of either deign iterations, and I see a benefit in being able to add/remove a pic rail to the top without losing zero (just as I can with my Marvel conversion), as well the unit is available in, 9mm, .38 Super, and .45 caliber to boot.
    Yeah the cost is high but look what you get and it's not like people aren't spending nearly that much on conversions/uppers toward their ARs to go to some other caliber. Really the cost all things being relative isn't that bad...if it actually functions reliably and shoots as one would expect, akin in accuracy to how excellent a Marvel 'Unit 1' locked barrel 1911 conversion is renowned for.

Some others I believe at THR suggested in lieu of $900 spending ~$200 on a Schuemann barrel with another ~$100 invested in proper gunsmith fitting of it within ones 1911 for equivalent and known accuracy. Resulting net savings as proposed would be ~ $600, which is just enough to purchase new a Taurus PT1911 to install the Schuemann barrel into. ;)

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Why ruin a 1911. Most peeps I know buy a 1911 b/c, well it's a 1911. This just makes it a different gun. If you want something with a fixed barrel get a HK M7/8. For $900 plus the cost of a 1911, you can have a pretty tricked out reliable Kiimber/STI/Springfield,...etc.

How would it ruin ones 1911, it's just placing a new top end on the frame.
    As to cost it's oriented toward a person who already has a 1911 in full or just frame sitting around.

I paid nearly $400 for my Marvel top end new.
    But it shoots far more accurately than a $400 .22 and even better my grip and trigger feel is exactly same as what I'm used to and otherwise train with. :)

This Avenger product would be same in concept and if allowable excellent toward Bullseye or three gun competition.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This Avenger product would be same in concept and if allowable excellent toward Bullseye or three gun competition.- Janq

Hell, I would put it in a holster and OC it. That is if its reliable.

I too have not found anything on it. Surprised as Hogue released it in 04 which blew my mind as to nobody having bought at least 1. The avenger is also in my Handgunner magazine from June 2007. But they marked it as being a "New" system.

Well if I get some cash laying around here soon, I just might put in an order for a .45.

Would I be one of the first to OC a race gun style 1911 on a speed holster? I wonder how citizens would handle that.

Administrator
    Kinda funny that I did some pretty good looking around on the Hogue site and couldn't find a mention of it.
    They DO have some pretty neat new grips though in Aluminum and Titanium plus a few other new gun related goodies.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think this thing is still vaporware.. Hogue had pushed it for awhile but haven't heard a thing since and at 900$ im not going to be the test subject..

http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html

here is the info from hogue now i could not find it though the nav system on their site i had to google it and it came up

Administrator

Thumbs up Thanks Bud

"i could not find it though the nav system on their site."

Neither could I.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Bud,

See my initial post from the 18th.
    I've got therein that link and a second providing full details toward the product including a schematic.

Edit:
    I had a spare moment and just now picked up the phone to call Hogue directly.
    I spoke with a customer support person, 'Crystal', who indicated the Avenger product is not yet available for release as they have been doing "safety testing" on it and that the cycle is nearly complete.
    I'd then asked to speak with someone who could speak with me toward this product at a high level in regard to functionality, testing results, and usability reviews. With that she referred me to their Sales & Technical Support Mgr. but indicated he was in a meeting currently. I asked for his direct number so that I could leave a VM but she indicated e-mail works best for him and gave me his fullname and contact info.
    I'll reach out to him via e-mail later today and what ever info I happen to come across I'll be sure to bump this thread.

- Janq

Weird, cause I have found quite a few online stores that say they have Avenger in stock for each caliber. I guess when you try and order they will tell you its a preorder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links