My "new" 1919 Colt

My "new" 1919 Colt

This is a discussion on My "new" 1919 Colt within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just traded my "extra" compact for this. Both of us walked away from the deal happy. There's some pitting as you can see in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "new" 1919 Colt

My "new" 1919 Colt

I just traded my "extra" compact for this. Both of us walked away from the deal happy. There's some pitting as you can see in the pics. It fills the void in my collection. Grips and barrel are WWII replacements.

I've looked high and low and have had no luck. If anyone has a source for WWI Colt grips, I'd be greatful. Don't know if I'll bother finding the "correct" barrel, but I would like the right grips.
    Last edited by stoneypete; July 19th, 2007 at 07:40 PM.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Very nice find, how much did it cost ya? Are you going to keep it as is for collectors appeal, or you going to get it refinished?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Cost was my spare Colt 1991A1 compact. Since I owned two I'd tried to sell one to no avail. The gent had a $650 price on this and agreed to swap. No money exchanged hands.

I'm looking for WWI Colt grips and perhaps a period Colt barrel if I should come across one. Not going to refinish it. It's 88 years old and I want it to look 88 years old.

Should I ever win megabucks I may send it to Bill Adair for a complete restoration, but I have two kids and a mortgage right now..

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWl-Colt-1911-45...QQcmdZViewItem
    Here is one that is on ebay now. You also might just want to check every week or so and see when they have one on auction (this is a buy now).
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

Thanks NYC Medic. I've been looking all over ebay gun parts to no avail. I never thought to look in collectables.

Both SARCO and Numrich have advertised the WW1 styled grip panels with the diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Both SARCO and Numrich have advertised the WW1 styled grip panels with the diamond.

Saw the Sarco ones. I even have them bookmarked, I'm looking for the real thing. Thanks for your help.

OD*
    Reproduction Colt 1911 stocks.
    https://shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp5...r=HOME:6:57:12

It's 88 years old and I want it to look 88 years old.
    Oops, never mind.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    I'd clean it up the best I cloud and if it worked, I'd leave it that way, too.

Good for you! Thanks for showing us your Colt 1911 acquisition. The oldies are my favorites.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    very nice looking gun, even with the pitting. I love actual old guns. I'm sure that one has some stories behind it.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Nice, I have one too....
    Mine was an inheritance from an uncle....
    It was rebuilt after being in a fire and has actual Ivory grips, but I shoot it and the only thing I dont like about it is the way it launches the brass straight back and into my forehead, LOL....

Been offered to buy several times, but my son will get this one....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

OD*
    Should I ever win megabucks I may send it to Bill Adair for a complete restoration, but I have two kids and a mortgage right now..
    You might be surprised at how reasonable Bill is, Pete.
    Those are good photo you have, he could probably give you a fairly close estimate if you sent them to him, I've had two USGIs done by Bill and the cost was very affordable.

Sorry I forgot to mention it earlier, congratulations on a very nice find.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Real Nice! You KNOW I love it.

BTW you can greatly accelerate and mimic the normal & natural wear on the new Walnut reproduction grips and actually make them look much more like they were born on that pistol.

You really need to study the natural wear patterns and the exact look of naturally aged antique 1911 grips and then you can do a nice authentic looking job of it.

That is what I would do.
    Because even the historically correct repro Walnut grips are going to look way too new on your old Colt handgun.

Authentic, old and original Walnut 1911s are going to sell for a lot of $$$ as they are RARE and highly desirable to Colt collectors.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Added WWI grips today.

Many thanks to those who PM'd me with grip offers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links