G17 vs G19 ???

G17 vs G19 ???

This is a discussion on G17 vs G19 ??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In my rough and tumble days as a bouncer I carried a G17 out in the open. I liked the fact that I had 18rnds ...

Thread: G17 vs G19 ???

G17 vs G19 ???

In my rough and tumble days as a bouncer I carried a G17 out in the open. I liked the fact that I had 18rnds in a full barrel length.

I'm noticing however that alot of departments issue their LEO's G19's. Does anyone know the reasoning for this? I know an ounce saved on the duty belt is an ounce saved. But if you aren't having to conceal, is there any other specific reason for going with less of a round count or shorter barrel?
    Last edited by FknRa; July 20th, 2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

On our sheriff's dept. it's deputies choice of G-22 or G-23. It really depends on what the deputy feels more comfortable with. If they choose the G-23, they carry spare mags for the G-22.

I got the G-23 when joining the tac team only because it would have been a 6 - 8 week wait for the LEO Supply Co. to get more G-22's in at the time. I've been real happy with the G-23 and have no problems with it.

Not sure what other departments policies are or their rationale
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have always had G19's and G23's becuase Im a cilvial and Conceal Carry a lot. I also Open carry a great deal too.

But if it were my Duty sidearm which would always be Open carried (uniform officers) I would take the full sized G17 or G22.

Thats just my preference though.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Personal preferance

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Ever since I used my G19 to get my CCW permit, it's been my constant companion since then. I pay 50 bucks for 250 rounds of range ammo which is the amount I use per range trip to practice with, when I can actually get to the range. I guess you can say the G19 is like the Baby Bear of Glocks. It's not too big for concealment, and not too small to be able to shoot comfortably, and recoil is manageable, it's just right. I don't know why I didn't consider a G19 as my first handgun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Could be as simple as the way each of the models fits a person's hand.

I know that before I owned a GLOCK, my friend bought a model 23. I held it and fired it, but it just didn't sit in my hand right. The bottom of the grip met my palm in just the wrong spot.

I ended up getting a 27, which although short, was short in the right spot. Then on to a 22 years later, which is fine because it extends past that trouble spot that the 23 hits on my hand.

But someone else, he might not like the way the 22 feels, and the 23 might be just right for him. To each, his own.

It is only personal preference...as stated in another thread, I was just at a local gun shop this evening and was looking for an additional 9mm...the G-26 seems to fit that need...
    Three years ago the Glocks did not interest me...now...the 26 seems like my next purchase...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It is only personal preference...as stated in another thread, I was just at a local gun shop this evening and was looking for an additional 9mm...the G-23 seems to fit that need...
    Three years ago the Glocks did not interest me...now...the 23 seems like my next purchase...

ret

If you wanted a 9mm, I hope you didn't pay up front for that G23.......G23's are .40 cal.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    If you wanted a 9mm, I hope you didn't pay up front for that G23.......G23's are .40 cal.
    My typo...fixed it...it was the G-26...

Thanks...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I believe the reasoning behind an agency going with a G19 or a G23 would be because it functions not only as a great duty weapon but it is also easier for concealed carry by an officer that is off duty as well.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Doc is correct. Many agencies issue both, the officers option due to compatability to the individual officer. Also, Det.s are generally, though not in all cases, issued the smaller, more concealable weapons. Some agencies who issue a particular weapon do not do this as " uniformity " is the name of the game for them.

Links