Question on mag break-in and long term storage (glock mags)

This is a discussion on Question on mag break-in and long term storage (glock mags) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was able to purchase a bunch of mags for my glocks (due to liquidating other assets). I would like to get them broken in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on mag break-in and long term storage (glock mags)

I was able to purchase a bunch of mags for my glocks (due to liquidating other assets). I would like to get them broken in and then store them.

For my 22, I had some problems at first. That is, until I let the mags sit for a week fully loaded. The 23 and the newly acquired 19, no such problem.

I am planning to fill the mags to capacity for a few weeks for initial break-in. Then if it is OK, just keep them totally loaded. If not OK, unload them and only load the ones I will use regularly.

So, I am concerned about the effectiveness of the glock mags if kept loaded for a long time (years). Also, I heard about glock mags bulging if kept loaded too long.

So, I am seeking any sage advice wrt long term storage of glock mags.

Thanks in advance.

load um leave em call it good unless the mag springs are crap from factory you will have no problems its the actual cycling of loading and unloading that wears the springs out ..

I kept all of my glock mags loaded and never had one bulge if you are worried about it down load them 1-2 rounds

Keep them loaded unloaded its your choice. Either way no special attention is needed.

I have not had any bulging problems.

As Bud stated cycling is what cases wear.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Thanks for the input.

bae
    I came across one yesterday that has been loaded for almost 20 years. It seemed to work fine.

When your talking about spring tension and life. Its not so much constant pressure on a spring that wears them out.
    Its the repetitive no-pressure/pressure over and over again that wears springs out.

my advice, load them up minus two or three rounds. that way you can make sure you have a little extra push when you need to have them fully loaded and function correctly.

ETA: Are these Hi-Cap mags, or 10 rounders? I dont know if its just my imagination. But all of my Hi-Cap/LEO Glock mags seem to be of better quality parts than the 10 rounds mags.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

20 years is more than I hope to store them for. Thanks.

They are all OEM glock normal capacity mags (sorry about the verbiage, but I don't like to call them hi-cap. Normal cap and AWB limited cap for me). So, 15 round, 13 round and 15 round for the 22, 23 and 19 respectively.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    They are all OEM glock normal capacity mags (sorry about the verbiage, but I don't like to call them hi-cap. Normal cap and AWB limited cap for me). So, 15 round, 13 round and 15 round for the 22, 23 and 19 respectively.

Thanks.
    LOL Yeah, I dont like that terminology either. But, you would be surprised in how many actual gun owners dont know 10+ round mags are "normal" capacity.

Many a time I have been chit-chatting in a gun shop and people look at me like Im from mars when I call REAL mags "normal capacity" (10+ capacity)

BTW: What part of PA you from?

I am in the Eastern portion of PA. I am right along the border with the PRK NJ. township outside of Easton, PA. A long ways from South West PA.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    Keep them loaded unloaded its your choice. Either way no special attention is needed.

I have not had any bulging problems.

As Bud stated cycling is what cases wear.
    Is that to say that you can utterly exclude the idea of a spring wearing out if you load it compressed and leave it for a long time, even if you're not loading/unloading it repeatedly?

It's easy to envision that being kept compressed would challenge a spring's springiness, you know?

I know a guy that carries an XD9 but only puts 8 or 9 rounds in his available 16 round mag. HE SAID HE DOESNT WANT TO WEAR OUT THE SPRINGS!!! lol
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    I know a guy that carries an XD9 but only puts 8 or 9 rounds in his available 16 round mag. HE SAID HE DOESNT WANT TO WEAR OUT THE SPRINGS!!! lol

No offense, but that guy sounds a little OCD!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The guys who are not "OCD" about their guns end up with guns that look like the one on the current issue of "America's 1st Freedom"!

(Well, not really, but I mean, there must be a LOT of us gun people who take care of our stuff to the degree that outsiders would raise an eyebrow at; and it's not a bad thing, either.)

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The guys who are not "OCD" about their guns end up with guns that look like the one on the current issue of "America's 1st Freedom"!

(Well, not really, but I mean, there must be a LOT of us gun people who take care of our stuff to the degree that outsiders would raise an eyebrow at; and it's not a bad thing, either.)
    Theres a difference between being extremely particular about the weapon and its care that your life depends on.

And clinically OCD. I think only loading your mags to 8 rounds into a 16 round magazine's is waaay overboard about being careful

Just my 2Ę

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links