IDPA v. IPSC -- how are they different? - Page 2

IDPA v. IPSC -- how are they different?

This is a discussion on IDPA v. IPSC -- how are they different? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Airedale Ex, 15 yrs ago I was still in uniform! Retired in 94. Dave LOL I finished the reserve component of the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDPA v. IPSC -- how are they different?

Wink Well they both start with an "R"

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    Ex,
    15 yrs ago I was still in uniform! Retired in 94. Dave
    LOL I finished the reserve component of the Armor Officer Advanced Course in 1993 and became eligible for promotion to Major. Then in 1994, thanks to the Clinton RIF, I was forced out of the IRR. 80-84 active duty, 1984-94 IRR with plenty of great assignments and schools in between. I wish I'd been able to stay in. I'd be an 05 or 06 by now and in the sand. Just where I'd want to be.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Just did another IDPA this morning - what a blast.

Wish I could find the patience to describe the various stages but - with one we had to open a door and engage a trolley target that travelled fast - no shooting after it stopped either. Then we have bobbers and those activated by poppers sometimes.

One stage was from a vehicle - very challenging too. It is always a game for me but one which sharpens my skills nonetheless .... I only really compete against myself and all the time I share space with some great guys.

I think most shoots turn out to be not much over 100 rounds .... tho on Vickers stages I do get ''generous'' sometimes and use a few extra rounds
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Slightly off-topic.. don't suppose any of y'all have any contacts with any of the Denver area IDPA groups? I've been trying for almost a month to get one of the local Safety Officers to schedule an orientation so I can go to a match and do more then twiddle my thumbs, and I've been unsuccessful so far.

My club currently shoots according to IPSC rules, because they are simpler. (We aren't sanctioned) IDPA has extra rules to try to bring optimal game tactics closer to real-world. If I remember the details right: In addition to gun and optic limits, holsters must be reasonably concealable and use a cover garment. Police may opt to use their duty gear instead, but must use all of it, as issued. Cover must be used as if someone is shooting back, and targets must be engaged according to tactical importance. You can drop an empty mag, but if you reload when a mag is partially empty, you must use cover, and you must retain the partial mag. If you deliberately violate the spirit of the rules, there's a penalty even if there is no technical violation.

peacefulljeffrey,
    Another shooting game that will definitely improve your shooting skills is steel challenge. It's a stand and shoot game that requires speed and accuracy.

It's also incredible fun.

Dave

M2
    IDPA Rule Book

Cheers! M2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    That status has continued to this day because I don't play the game. My first question when I finish a COF (ask Miggy, he knows this about me) isn't what's my time? It's always been Any Procedurals?
    And I usually give him a couple just for fun

I never look at the time until they publish the score in our sight. I am always concerned about cover and points down. If you can be fast and accurate, more power to you! My best IDPA day ever was at a sanctioned match where I had the lowest amount of points down of the match.... but you could have timed me with an hourglass
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Wink Miggy speaketh with forked tongue!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    And I usually give him a couple just for fun My best IDPA day ever was at a sanctioned match where I had the lowest amount of points down of the match.... but you could have timed me with an hourglass
    And you had to borrow MINE to accomplish this. I remember when I cleared an IDPA course once, years ago. They went from target to target counting up the hits and it always went like this:
    2 alpha zone hits real close together, 2 alpha zone hits real close together,2 alpha zone hits real close together, 2 alpha zone hits real close together, 2 alpha zone hits real close together,.....Hey we need to talk. You cleaned the course but your time is the slowest of the day....

To which I reply......Any procedurals? Tell the truth, Miggy!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    peacefulljeffrey,
    Another shooting game that will definitely improve your shooting skills is steel challenge. It's a stand and shoot game that requires speed and accuracy.

It's also incredible fun.

Dave
    Thank you!

I thought everyone had forgotten the thread starter...

IPSC: A Track Match with a gun in hand

IDPA: A Gun Match with Running Shoes

That's my shorthand version of the subject.

Biker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links