IDPA v. IPSC -- how are they different?

This is a discussion on IDPA v. IPSC -- how are they different? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi. Would someone be kind enough to explain the differences between IDPA and IPSC? I read about them sometimes here and was wondering how they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA v. IPSC -- how are they different?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Hi. Would someone be kind enough to explain the differences between IDPA and IPSC?

I read about them sometimes here and was wondering how they are different? What I know about IDPA (I think) is that people can do that kind of shooting in clubs or something. Is IPSC for the real pros like Rob Leatham?

Thanks.

Forgive my answering out of relative ignorance, since I haven't done either, but I believe that IDPA is what ISPC was originally meant to be. It's just that ISPC became a sport where definate advantages went to he who spent the most money on target pistol, funny sights, and impractical stuff. The IDPA rules specifically try to keep equipment practical for everyday carry and use, so hopefull the skills crossover to real world personal defense. Just my understanding of it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    LB nailed....

From IDPA.com
    It is geared toward the new or average shooter, yet is fun, challenging and rewarding for the experienced shooter. The founders developed the sport so that practical gear and practical guns may be used competitively. An interested person can spend a minimal amount on equipment and still be competitive.
    The main goal is to test the skill and ability of the individual, not equipment or gamesmanship. “Competition only” equipment is not permitted in this sport.
    The founders of IDPA are longtime IPSC shooters. IPSC in a way admited that they strayed from its roots and now offers a division similar to IDPA (equimpment-wise) and I am glad to see fellow shooters getting into it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanks, guys.
    I admit that I would favor the "stock gun" kind of competition.

I don't see the point in running through a course using a gun that's utterly unlike something I'd be carrying concealed on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Thanks, guys.
    I admit that I would favor the "stock gun" kind of competition.

I don't see the point in running through a course using a gun that's utterly unlike something I'd be carrying concealed on a daily basis.
    same here. i think i'd be more interested in training and competing with "real" stuff.

however, i can understand where the other comes into play. those guys just love shooting...the act itself, the sport. it's kind of like racing. drivers love the sport so much that they want to push it to it's limits. they've lost sight of the fact that their drag car can no longer operate on the street...or that their indy car can't handle a speed bump. that really isn't the point.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Yep... they even call them "race guns" in IPSC. Tricked out and highly customized.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Phaed, that's good insight.

Even as I posted about preferring the "practical" kind of shooting using the "practical" kind of gun, I was thinking in the back of my mind that it could still be enjoyable to use the "race guns"...

Since I shoot pretty rarely (unfortunately), if and when I get active like that I'll probably do the bare-bones kind of IDPA activity. I know they do it somewhere not terribly far from here. I just need to round up the time and the money.

First-remember both are games with score cards.
    I shoot USPSA (the US region of IPSC) nearly every weekend. I've never shot IDPA simply because there aren't any matches close to home.
    USPSA has five divisions (+one provisional division)
    Production: Double action pistols, stock holster, stock mag carriers with placement restrictions. Limited to 10 rounds in a mag. You normally see 9mm Glocks,XDs, M&Ps,etc. All targets are scored minor power factor. The rules on modifications are pretty restrictive-nearly no external modifications are allowed (other than sights).When I shoot Prod. I shoot a 9mm XD,bladetech kydex holster and kydex mag carriers
    Limited 10:Pistols with a 10 round in the mag restriction. You'll see 1911s, 1911 wide bodies,Glocks,XDs, etc. When I shoot L10, I shoot a 1911 Kimber or my XD 45 with,again, kydex gear.
    Limited: Generally wide body 1911s but you'll see some other pistols, some use race holsters but I'm seeing a movement back to kydex. The mag rules are on length. When I shoot Lim. I use a Para 16-40. My mags hold 21 rounds. Again, I use kydex.
    Open: Here's where the race guns with optics are found. There are rules-I don't shoot open.
    Revolver: Shoot six and reload. This is the division I shoot most all the time. I use a S&W 25-2 with 6 1/2" barrel. Great fun and accuracy is absolutely required as you have no extra rounds to make up bad shots. You learn to count to six quickly.
    Single stack (provisional): Similar to limited 10 with 8 round limit requirements and some gear placement rules. 1911 based pistols.
    This info is off the top of my head. All the info is at www.uspsa.org

I have, at one time, carried concealed, pistols or revolvers for each division other than Open. I usually carry a wheelgun and don't carry the 6 1/2" one.

Everyone who shoots matches has gone to their first match. It's a bit unnerving as you assume everyone there is a pro. They are not. USPSA is a great way to improve your shooting skills for concealed carry. The sport is great fun and safety is number one.

The USPSA website will give you good data. The Brian Enos forum has more info on USPSA and other shooting sports than you can assimilate in a month.

If you try either game I'll bet you'll become a reloader pretty quickly.

Edited to add: If you like USPSA then you can add 3 gun. 3 times the fun, 3 times the cost!

Have fun,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    I shoot USPSA (the US region of IPSC) nearly every weekend. I've never shot IDPA simply because there aren't any matches close to home.
    That sucks, we have IPSC/USPSA and IDPA every weeknd here.

I like IDPA, seems more about bettering yourself and yous skills than a competition between others.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    That sucks, we have IPSC/USPSA and IDPA every weeknd here.

I like IDPA, seems more about bettering yourself and yous skills than a competition between others.

That's how I shoot USPSA-simply improving my skills. I'm not into all the zen voodoo stuff.

Most of the wheelgunners in this area are middle aged guys having fun.
    Dave

Funny thing, I became a LIFE MEMBER of USPSA just before IDPA was formed. Our's was the FIRST IDPA "Officially Affiliated Club" in our region of the country. When I was the first shooter downrange in the FIRST "sanctioned IDPA Match" east of the Mississippi, I ran it with a Browning Hi-Power and JHP's to observe a solemn moment. I never shot IPSC again.

I qualified as "Marksman" in my first qualifier and have continued as "marksman" for all divisions except revolver. That status has continued to this day because I don't play the game. My first question when I finish a COF (ask Miggy, he knows this about me) isn't what's my time? It's always been Any Procedurals? Speed is nice but good tactics and good accuracy is final.

That's exactly where (IMO) IPSC fumbles and IDPA picks up the ball. IPSC will run a 90rd COF while the max allowable in IDPA is 18 rds. I know IPSC shooters who are literally paralyzed if they have to depend on iron sights instead of optics. Sorry, that's just not real.

Yes you can "game" IDPA to death but there is a procedural designed to catch the gamers and it's called "Failure to do Right." That was, I think, in specific reaction to IPSC.

Know what torques me off most about IPSC is the habit of getting a "walkthru" on the course of fire and have everybody stand around and REHEARSE their draw and subsequent moves, with a clenched fist" as they shadow box the COF! You think it's gonna happen that way on the street? So in IDPA that becomes a violation, too. This drives IPSC folks nutz when they slum thru our neighborhood.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post

That's exactly where (IMO) IPSC fumbles and IDPA picks up the ball. IPSC will run a 90rd COF while the max allowable in IDPA is 18 rds. I know IPSC shooters who are literally paralyzed if they have to depend on iron sights instead of optics. Sorry, that's just not real.
    C'mon, Ex. There are no 90 round courses of fire in USPSA. Max allowable is 32 rounds and most (local matches) are 6-20 round COF. There's usually one long (32 rd) COF in a local match. The only folks shooting optics are in open class and that's, generally, these days about 10% of the folks attending a match. The majority of shooters in any USPSA match are shooting iron sights.

Let's not turn this into one game is better than the other thread. Both are games and neither prepare anyone, tactically, for a real life shooting situation. Both games are good trigger time and that's great!

Dave

Wink I remember....

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    C'mon, Ex. There are no 90 round courses of fire in USPSA. Max allowable is 32 rounds and most (local matches) are 6-20 round COF. There's usually one long (32 rd) COF in a local match. The only folks shooting optics are in open class and that's, generally, these days about 10% of the folks attending a match. The majority of shooters in any USPSA match are shooting iron sights.

Let's not turn this into one game is better than the other thread. Both are games and neither prepare anyone, tactically, for a real life shooting situation. Both games are good trigger time and that's great!

Dave
    The last time I ran an IPSC course there was a guy who went right before me with a race gun worth 5k with optics and I swear he had about 8 mags stuck out at weird angles all around his body. That was about lessee....15 years ago? Were you shooting IPSC then? Things certainly do change. IPSC is trying to get recognized as an "Olympic Sport" so they shaved the "head" off their silhouette targets. I'm not running down IPSC. If you're into that, more power to you.

Yes IDPA is a "game" if you want it to be. But it also possibly some of the best practice for real CCW you can get if you treat it that way. It also depends on your SO's and course designers. Ours are top notch grads of the Marquis De Sade school of IDPA Course Design. Got that Miggy? I have always been impressed with the course requirements in our club. Many of them are taken right from the headlines of local self defense shootings or successful criminal acts.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    They both sound like a good time.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Ex,
    15 yrs ago I was still in uniform! Retired in 94.

USPSA still has the "heads" on the targets. It's all trigger time.
    I've got a match tomorrow. The wheelgun is packed and ready to go.

More importantly, I'll pick up another 3 1/2" S&W 27 tomorrow! This one is blue-I have a nickel one. Woohoo!

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links