Targeting using both eyes

This is a discussion on Targeting using both eyes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a righty who is left eye dominate. I'm attempting to lean to shoot with both eyes open. What I find is happening that sometimes ...

Thread: Targeting using both eyes

Targeting using both eyes

I'm a righty who is left eye dominate. I'm attempting to lean to shoot with both eyes open. What I find is happening that sometimes the target is perfectly clear and so are the sites. Other times the sites are in focus, but the target is not. I can not figure out what I'm doing differently to cause the two differences.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

2. Remove Ads

I found out this past Friday that I shoot left with a dominant right eye.
    I was told to focus on the front sight...or learn to shoot right handed. The only time if really became a problem is shooting from strong side barricade. I ended up having to close my left eye in order to focus on the front blade.
    I turn my head a bit more toward the weak side to align with the sights better.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Sights clear and target fuzzy when sighting with the sights regardless of eye dominance is the rule of thumb.
    Target clear and no sights viewed when point shooting.

I'm right eye dominant & ambi and train with either hand always with both eyes open.
    Whether it be combat shooting or bullseye and regardless of which hand I'm shooting with as strong always both eyes are open and the sight if being used is clear.

For more info on this go here...
    'Essentials of Pistol Sighting'
    http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/pistol_sighting.pdf

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Reply thanks. I'll have to get back to the range and do some more practicing.

simple you can't focus at object at different distances at the same time. Practice and you will get better, I have always shot with both eyes open and I couldn't tell you if I look at the site or the target because its natural and more accurate for me to shoot this way.
    Focus on the sites the target will be out of focus, shoot center mass.

Links