I think I should secure my handgun better.

This is a discussion on I think I should secure my handgun better. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a friend with twin boys. They have those 'air soft guns' but know the difference. he laso has a roomie that has has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I should secure my handgun better.

I have a friend with twin boys. They have those 'air soft guns' but know the difference. he laso has a roomie that has has friends.
    My friends comes in from work, unholsters his Glock, sets it on the bar. He walks to the sink about 25' away. Picks up an "air soft", starts shooting said roomies friend. Friend picks up Glock, racks a round, points at my friend, sends 230gr through his pants, boxers, grazes wallet, through cabinet door and into external wall. NEVER TOUCHED HIS SKIN...........DAMN HE IS LUCKY......all because he left said Glock where said roomies friend (that knows nothing about guns) could mistake it for a toy.

IF for some reason someone has my gun in thier hands, I first unload it, hand it to them and tell them it is loaded.

They usually say, " I just watched you unload it, how is it loaded?"

My responce is, " did YOU check it yourself?"

SORRY my friend, but I MUST ask......
    WHY would youlet anyone fiddle with a LOADED gun??????
    That is just asking for trouble.
    Glad noone got hurt
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    No need to chastise you further... Lesson's learned! That's the important part!

Stay Safe!
    now that he is done being chastised can we beat him now? .....lol....jk

This is the perfect case FOR the internal lock.I have a 642-2 with the lock that everyone hates. I think it's great. I can stow the 642 without worrying about someone accidently picking it up and pulling the trigger. Never leave a weapon laying out in the open. They are simply too attractive to the curious. Chuck.

Moral of the story: Airsoft is teaching bad gun safety to people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash Dragoon View Post
    My brother came over ... sees my 1911 on my bed and picks it up and starts fiddling with it. I didnt really care ...
    Perhaps. But the simplest technique of saving people from themselves is simply closing off their options, which includes locking them up as you mentioned. Nothing can replace that. It should probably be the fifth basic guideline for firearms safety. Loaded, Muzzle, Finger, Target & Secured.

Interesting idea about the trigger lock. If it's going to be left about (off-person), that might be a good idea.

Still, all of this reminds me I've got to get another small safe for the house.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ron
    [QUOTE=rocky;436828]I would suggest keeping firearms locked up or on your person. this way no one has access but you. A firearm in untrained hands can lead to very bad results.

IMO, that is the best way to assure that there will be no gun accidents in your house. I have two young grandchildren, who are at our house often. I follow Rocky's advice without fail. My guns are either on me or locked up, always.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    A good friend of mine has a .380 hole in his speaker,and in the exterior wall right next to it. The girl he was dating at the time was lying on his bed,he loaded up his cz sitting right next to her,sat it on the nightstand,and walked into the bathroom to brush his teeth. Next thing he knew,..he heard "bang". Apparently after watching him load it up,she decided to pick it up,and pretend to take a shot. Luckily it didn't go in the next room where his other roommates were.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash Dragoon View Post
    I didnt really care because, although it had a loaded magazine in it, there wasnt a bullet in the tube and I only woulda said something if he started to try and pull the slide back.
    Constructive criticism, do not take offense :

Problem #1 - You

EVERY weapon should be treated as if it were loaded. I would have cared. I would have made a firm order to put the weapon down immediately

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links