Defensive Carry banner

I think I should secure my handgun better.

2K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  azchevy 
#1 ·
My brother came over to my house for a bit to talk to my mom and he came into my room with his friend and his friend sees my 1911 on my bed and picks it up and starts fiddling with it. I didnt really care because, although it had a loaded magazine in it, there wasnt a bullet in the tube and I only woulda said something if he started to try and pull the slide back. Anyway, after fiddling with it a bit more he suddenly says "Whoa! This is a real one!" and slowly sets it down. Im thinking I may have to hide my gun somewhere in my room to avoid this happening again.

Moral of the story: Airsoft is teaching bad gun safety to people.

(Im assuming he thought it was airsoft)

Oh yeah, my brother is 22, I assume his friend is close to that in age. <_<

#2 ·
I would suggest keeping firearms locked up or on your person. this way no one has access but you. A firearm in untrained hands can lead to very bad results.

#20 ·
I would suggest keeping firearms locked up or on your person. this way no one has access but you. A firearm in untrained hands can lead to very bad results.

IMO, that is the best way to assure that there will be no gun accidents in your house. I have two young grandchildren, who are at our house often. I follow Rocky's advice without fail. My guns are either on me or locked up, always.

Ron

#13 ·
Sounds remarkably like the way in which a friend (ex) managed to send a 230 grain .44 mag through my front window, in highschool.:duh:

Can't leave tools out for the [untrained] IGNORANT and STUPID.
There--fixed it for ya! :wave:

#4 ·
Scary

Your story sends chills down my spine.

- Young man with no gun knowledge
- Gun lying in plain sight with loaded magazine
- Picking up gun without asking permission
- "Fiddling" with gun, not knowing what he is doing

There are lots of ways this could turn out badly. You should keep your guns under your direct control.

#6 · (Edited)
Typically I don't keep my firearms locked up as I live alone and the few friends I have know better than to go into my room and "fiddle" with anything they find(read all responsible people). However, in your situation with other folks in the house...that makes it a new ball game. Lock it up or keep it on you. As for the friend "fiddling" not concerning you: :censored::censored::censored::censored:! Any responsibly trained person would not be "fiddling" with someone else's firearm without their direct consent:rant:. That right there clue's you in to the fact that you SHOULD be concerned.

You're not the flash. It is quite possible he could have racked the slide, pointed and pulled the trigger, thinking it was just an airsoft or unloaded much faster than you could have picked up on it:gah:.

#7 ·
The last tiem I came across something like this, the individual who was fiddling ended up putting a .45 FMJ through the ceiling and out the roof just above him......

AFTER the bullet went through the bottom of his chin and up through the middle of his head.

The gun was not the deceased's gun. He thought it was a fake and decided it would be a great idea to play a joke on his girlfriend at the party. She didn't find it funny.

Keep your guns safe!!!

#8 ·
First , I admire you for telling your story on here. Lots wouldn't admit to it. We all learn valuable lessons from others mistakes and yes, I believe this was a mistake on your part. Could have been a really bad turn out. To automatically think a gun (expecially that heavy ) is a toy, spells real trouble. Keep em locked up or on you at ALL times..

#9 ·
I sure would not want anyone playing around with any of my guns, unless so sanctioned and with previous running thru of safety rules, plus triple clearing the piece. I am yes, a tad anal about it!

Interesting, yesterday .... neighbor was talking about his .22 revo .... and how he liked it. We were chatting on my porch and he went to get it .... prior to which I was pretty sure he had a Single Six.

Yep - it was just that. I managed however to freak him out a bit as, he handed it to me (muzzle safe glad to say) - but with hammer back. I proceeded to as usual satisfy myself it was safe. Well it was in a sense but - all chambers contained brass - spent brass. His wife had not unloaded after last plinking.

I checked it - unloaded the brass and said ''hey - now it's clear". he was, I am glad to say - shocked.

He had made that fatal (possibly) mistake of assuming ....... not good! I ran him thru safety rules big time .. and made sure that if nothing else, he obeyed rule #2 totally. I do think he learned a lesson - hopefully to his and wife's benefit.

#10 · (Edited)
I just put a keyed lock on my bedroom door, not one where you just need a pin to unlock, but a real one you might find on a front door minus a deadbolt. This way, when anyone comes over, I just shut the door, it could be my parents or some random friends of my roommates, I can just shut the door and go to work or whatever. It won't keep a burglar from getting in their, but it will keep curious friends out.

I just told my roommate, if the door is not shut already and you are planning on having friends over, and I'm not here, just shut the door and you don't have to worry about it. He is one that says "what am I ever going to need a gun for, I will never have a use for one". "This is 2007, this isn't the wild west." I just go haha and go back to my room and read DC forums and stories about how safe it is out there :blink:

#14 ·
I just put a keyed lock on my bedroom door, not one where you just need a pin to unlock, but a real one you might find on a front door minus a deadbolt. This way, when anyone comes over, I just shut the door, it could be my parents or some random friends of my roommates, I can just shut the door and go to work or whatever. It won't keep a bugler from getting in their, but it will keep curious friends out.

I'd put a lock on my bedroom door if I thought there was a chance of a bugler getting in. I like to sleep late; the last thing I want is some guy coming in and blowing Reveille in my ear!! :laughing: LMAO!

#11 ·
While this may look like a lame attempt at covering my stupidity, I did have it out because I was about to go up to my camp and build a fire place/shoot my pistol. But this doesnt mean I havent left it out in the open before.

Your stories have made me realized how stupid it is to just leave it lying around like that, exspecially how packinova said im not "the flash"

I am having second thoughts now about leaving the pistol at my brothers house (He lives off campus, while I live on) when I go back to college. I had planned on going to get it when I needed to go into the city shopping or whatever, but now that I know there is people like this that he knows, I dont think it would be such a good idea.

See, the only people I am around guns with ussually are older family friends who I hunt with. Now that I know there are people who would just walk in a pick up a gun like this....

*scared face*

#15 ·
I am having second thoughts now about leaving the pistol at my brothers house (He lives off campus, while I live on) when I go back to college. I had planned on going to get it when I needed to go into the city shopping or whatever, but now that I know there is people like this that he knows, I dont think it would be such a good idea.
If you're going to leave it with him, get at least a cheap lockbox to store it in that can be attached to something secure, (bolted to the floor or cabled to a water pipe) so they'd at least have to put some effort into getting to the gun.

#12 ·
No need to chastise you further... Lesson's learned! That's the important part!

Stay Safe!

#16 ·
I have a friend with twin boys. They have those 'air soft guns' but know the difference. he laso has a roomie that has has friends.
My friends comes in from work, unholsters his Glock, sets it on the bar. He walks to the sink about 25' away. Picks up an "air soft", starts shooting said roomies friend. Friend picks up Glock, racks a round, points at my friend, sends 230gr through his pants, boxers, grazes wallet, through cabinet door and into external wall. NEVER TOUCHED HIS SKIN...........DAMN HE IS LUCKY......all because he left said Glock where said roomies friend (that knows nothing about guns) could mistake it for a toy.

IF for some reason someone has my gun in thier hands, I first unload it, hand it to them and tell them it is loaded.

They usually say, " I just watched you unload it, how is it loaded?"

My responce is, " did YOU check it yourself?"

SORRY my friend, but I MUST ask......
WHY would youlet anyone fiddle with a LOADED gun??????
That is just asking for trouble.
Glad noone got hurt

#18 ·
This is the perfect case FOR the internal lock.I have a 642-2 with the lock that everyone hates. I think it's great. I can stow the 642 without worrying about someone accidently picking it up and pulling the trigger. Never leave a weapon laying out in the open. They are simply too attractive to the curious. Chuck.

#19 ·
Moral of the story: Airsoft is teaching bad gun safety to people.
My brother came over ... sees my 1911 on my bed and picks it up and starts fiddling with it. I didnt really care ...
Perhaps. But the simplest technique of saving people from themselves is simply closing off their options, which includes locking them up as you mentioned. Nothing can replace that. It should probably be the fifth basic guideline for firearms safety. Loaded, Muzzle, Finger, Target & Secured.

Interesting idea about the trigger lock. If it's going to be left about (off-person), that might be a good idea.

Still, all of this reminds me I've got to get another small safe for the house.

#21 ·
A good friend of mine has a .380 hole in his speaker,and in the exterior wall right next to it. The girl he was dating at the time was lying on his bed,he loaded up his cz sitting right next to her,sat it on the nightstand,and walked into the bathroom to brush his teeth. Next thing he knew,..he heard "bang". Apparently after watching him load it up,she decided to pick it up,and pretend to take a shot. Luckily it didn't go in the next room where his other roommates were.

#22 ·
I didnt really care because, although it had a loaded magazine in it, there wasnt a bullet in the tube and I only woulda said something if he started to try and pull the slide back.
Constructive criticism, do not take offense :

Problem #1 - You

EVERY weapon should be treated as if it were loaded. I would have cared. I would have made a firm order to put the weapon down immediately

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.