Gun Shop Problems - Page 2

Gun Shop Problems

This is a discussion on Gun Shop Problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Probably they didn't want to be interrupted because they are stupid and lazy, and wanted you to leave ASAP. Austin...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Probably they didn't want to be interrupted because they are stupid and lazy, and wanted you to leave ASAP.

Austin

Lead Moderator
    Heck, at 33 yrs old, I had a gun store guy comment (to a co worker snidely) that he figured I was "just looking" while I was shopping for my second carry gun. Needless to say, I did not buy anything there.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

By all means call the store manager and the owner ! Tell them that your business and money is going elswhere - as long as the clerk is still employed there. He may need a good excuse to fire him.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Happens to me too. I don't really worry about it too much, since all I ever purchase there is defensive or hunting ammuntion.(only face to face source) I don't really blame them most times when I go in there it is just after I have finished fixing a car, or been out in the woods all day. ( Wearing all that RealTree™ stuff)

Now when they are rude to my wife...that is a different story.

She loves to shoot, but is often treated like an idiot by the employees. Once when she was looking at some 357 snubbies one of the sales people said something like "darling you wanna be looking over here, those are a bit big for you." pointing towards the 22 pistols. Needless to say no purchase was made there.

Hit them where it hurts...the pocketbook....also probably wouldnt do much harm to 1)let them know why and 2) Let them know that you have told others already about the horrible service you have recieved.

They need you more than you need them. (Especially with the internet now)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    My first gun purchase (heck, my first what, four gun purchases?) were at a shop on Long Island called The Campsite (Huntington Station), and were all made with a guy named Joe Redmond, who was a friendly, knowledgeable man. He was always helpful and respectful to me, even though I was just shy of 22 years old at the time.

Sadly, I have not had that kind of experience at the several comparably sized gun shops in the south Florida area (Palm Beach County). Around here, they seem more interested in either ignoring you, fleecing you out of money, or telling you lies.

I miss The Campsite. I grew up in upper-middle-class suburban Long Island, but I always got the sense that The Campsite belonged up in Vermont or something. It felt more homey, like a general store or something. I remember Joe, a somewhat beefy guy, wearing red-and-black flannel shirts--that's the icon of him that's stuck in my head. I hope he's still prospering up there.

Sorry to go completely off topic, but is The Campsite still open?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I wouldn't know. I haven't been there since 1996!

A quick google search didn't turn them up.

Almost every gunstore I have ever been to seems to have a "Jerk" on staff every once in a while. They give you attitude and disgust, and forget about browsing and handling handguns. If you wanna see more than two they give you some kind of "fed up" look. They act like you are wasting their time. Once I spot the "Jerk", in each gunstore I visit, I make sure to find someone else.

Administrator
    Say Something.
    Nothing makes shopping a worse experience than a store employee hanging all over the customer.

Just say Hey...I really hate having somebody breathing down my neck when I'm trying to look around and shop.
    If I need you for anything I sure will ask you for your help.

That's what I do.
    The computer, TV & assorted electronics stores are the worst offenders in my opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

me [OP]
    I did talk to some other friends about this particular store yesterday (For any who are interested it is Big Buck in Wexford PA). One who is in his 60s and a Vietnam Vet, he told me the service sucks and the prices are high and recommended the Big Box store. I also talked to a 20 Year old who has Gone there for Bow hunting supplies and said he got the same service (from the same guy and others there). I think they have an issue with letting people shop, the only person I have seen them let shop is my uncle who prominently wears his Eagle Globe and Anchor around his neck.

I will be calling them today and also letting my uncle know about the service or lack there of that I received there.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

It's not just gun stores. Any retail outfit that sells products that you can't get just anywhere seem prone to this attitude. They seem to think that you'll put up with them if you really want the item in question.

A gun shop salesman knows you can't just get online and order what you want, and he knows that there's not a gun shop on every major intersection in town. They have to figure that, if you're going to buy, you're going to buy from them, regardless of their attitude.

They're wrong. Make sure they _know_ they're wrong.

I had a car dealership giving me the runaround... I drove by and thanked them for their lack of service, from my brand new pickup truck a few hours later.

There's idiots in every profession.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I wouldn't know. I haven't been there since 1996!

A quick google search didn't turn them up.
    That's probably the last time I was out there as well.....
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

me [OP]
    Well I called the Gun shop this afternoon. The manager Blew Me Off. I have gone to another local Gun shop and took a look around, they are an order what you want shop but the people are nice and the prices on the used guns looked good. I think I will probably buy from them, They were nice people and I would be willing to pay a little more to buy from them.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I am lucky I have never had that happen to me. There are 2 guns stores I normally check out when considering a purchase. The one store close to home is great no matter who is working. The other store there are a lot of know nothings who work there and if they are there when you come in don't plan on getting good info or help. I think it is kind of the luck of the draw with smaller stores like that. I am a slow shopper 90% of the time. It took me nearly 6 months of touching and handling and chatting and testing different guns before I bought my first pistol. I told the guns at the local store that and I would stop by every few weeks either to see what new they had or to chat it up with them. They were always very friendly and helpful even though I was there and never bought anything. On a suggestion from the one employee I took a look at the kimber brand 1911, and 2 days later I was down there having them order me one and a 22 conversion. I just liked the way those guys roll. Since they put up with me window shopping and were still helpful they have earned themselves a customer for life, and I am always recommending them to people. I have sent at least 3 other people there who have ended up buy from them and a few others that are looking into things and considering them. Anyways good luck finding your shop.

Pretty Simple, Really...

Money and 'manners' go hand in hand...I have the money, and they need to have the manners...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links