Gun handling manners?

This is a discussion on Gun handling manners? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been reading the threads about how people are treated in gun shops, and also, about people picking up someone's gun when it is left ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun handling manners?

Gun handling manners?

I've been reading the threads about how people are treated in gun shops, and also, about people picking up someone's gun when it is left out. I'm curious, what ever happened to not giving/taking a firearm unless the action is open, showing clear?

I cannot remember the last time I was in a chain sporting goods store, asked to see a gun, and the clerk handed it to me with the action open.

I have even had a person who works at an indoor range, who is a CCH instructor, pull a 1911 out of his personal range bag, sweep the muzzle across me, point it at the wall, thumb cock it, and dry fire it, without ever checking for clear.

Am I just a stupid magnet, or has anyone else noticed basic gun handling skills have gone to pot?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Either someone is trying to give you a message or your a magnet for stupid. I guess can't discount gun handling manors slipping either.

The Scheels in town is very good about checking before they hand over.

That being said, I was down there the other day when it was crowded and a fellow customer did a full muzzle sweep of about thirty customers with a shotgun. Good thing there was a triggerlock on it.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    I work at a gun shop and I NEVER hand over a gun with the action closed. Additionally, I NEVER walk around with a gun with a closed action, even if I'm just looking to see if we have another of the same in stock. It's just plain rude. I know it's empty but you don't.

Finally, we have a policy that we no longer let customers clear weapons that they bring in (too many bullet holes in our counters). So, even if you were trying to be polite and clear you weapon I would stop you, ask you to put the weapon on the counter and I would clear it myself. Some people have taken offense to this but we've had way too many close calls to take it lightly. Good gun handling is paramount in our shop and if you don't believe me just try to come in and mishandle a gun... You'll be thrown out in about two minutes.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I hope you have a speech down to quickly and efficiently explain to people the reason behind your policy, Limatunes. It's a perfectly sensible policy, born of the fact that far too many people are IDIOTS (witness, the holes in your counter). Anyone who still takes umbrage after it's been explained that safety needs to come first, ahead of people's egos, is a customer you probably don't want, in the first place.

Yes, the last time or two I was in a gun shop, I witnessed incompetent gun handling on both sides of the counter. What was worse was that at one point I asked to have a customer stop muzzle-sweeping me and the rest of the store, and all I got was blank stares.

Administrator
    Ditto lima. I am "old school" on that.
    I cannot hand another person a revolver without the cylinder being cracked open and checked for empty
    and a pistol - magazine removed - slide to the rear and chamber visually checked for empty.

...any movement of a weapon from one person to another is done only with the action open and cleared...if not, I quickly correct verbally...offended?...I don't care...
    No one seems to have been offended yet, and I'm still here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Ditto QK .......... maybe I am just ''old school'' but it was a habit from way back and I guess too because in my old gun club we were real hot on safety.

The ones that really freak me are those who not only sweep a muzzle any ol' which way but ... even curl that booger hook straight onto the bang switch I have been known to get very antsy when observing that and am not ashamed for doing so!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The worst gun handling practices I have ever seen was at this last NRA convention. I can't tell you how many times I saw people pick up a display gun and start banging away at the trigger with out visually inspecting the chamber. Muzzles were pointed all over the place. I think people assume that because firing pins are supposed to be removed from all the displays that they didn't have to pay attention to the basic rules and could treat them like toys. I really enjoyed the convention but that aspect of it made me uncomfortable.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Both Cabela's in the area and Gander Mountains have always been very good about safe gun handling from what I have seen. A few customers may need a refresher course but the counter people know what they are doing.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Both Cabela's in the area and Gander Mountains have always been very good about safe gun handling from what I have seen. A few customers may need a refresher course but the counter people know what they are doing.
    Sadly, Gander is the store I was referring to about closed actions. I was looking at a Kimber, and when I handed it back open, he looked at me like I had broken it.

The stores also requires customers to show clear at the front desk if they bring a firearm in for sale or repair. While I was checking out, watched a guy come in with a derringer, and he did not know how to open it, fumbled a couple minutes, and the clerk told him "don't worry" , stuck the happy safe dot on it, and let him on his way.

Not trying to brand any store, there just who I have in town.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Hmm if i feel i will have occasion to handle my ccw in a gunshop ( such as trying holsters for fit , ect ) , I clear it before i enter , and reholster with the slide locked back untill i can show clear to an employee. If i bring a gun into a shop ( other than my ccw ) for any reason it is cleared with the action open when it goes thru the door . That is just how i learned to do it many years ago .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I work at a gun shop and I NEVER hand over a gun with the action closed. Additionally, I NEVER walk around with a gun with a closed action, even if I'm just looking to see if we have another of the same in stock. It's just plain rude. I know it's empty but you don't.

Finally, we have a policy that we no longer let customers clear weapons that they bring in (too many bullet holes in our counters). So, even if you were trying to be polite and clear you weapon I would stop you, ask you to put the weapon on the counter and I would clear it myself. Some people have taken offense to this but we've had way too many close calls to take it lightly. Good gun handling is paramount in our shop and if you don't believe me just try to come in and mishandle a gun... You'll be thrown out in about two minutes.

It's such a habit, I don't know if you could say "stop" before I had the cylinder open, and the frame hanging from my finger.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    When showing guns to a customer. I always drop mag open action first. Due a visual and physical inspection myself and then ask them, can you verify that is infact unloaded?

Wait till I get somekind of verbal response before passing it off to them.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

me
    Sportsman's Warehouse ALWAYS hands the gun action open
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Administrator
    Yeah, I've seen it... a lot.

I'm not exactly sure where and when it started to erode, but I have noticed there are three main types of offenders.

The first one is the guys who know everything there is to know about the hardware of war ( he gains his knowledge from video games, after all he is a member of S.E.A.Ls and DELTA virtual.)

The second and more common is the guy/gals who have "been shooting since they were a kid" and have learned all they need to know in that one afternoon that grandpa let them shoot his .22.

Then there is guys like me, and a lot of you. I am very very even over cautious... in some settings. When I'm alone, or even with a peer, I tend to get lax. Its the comfort level I have with guns. I wear one all day, just about every day. As I type this, there is a G23 right next to my computer. I have several more in my raid bag sitting on the bed of the hotel room. I just dont think anything of it. I have guns pointed at me (empty) all day long, its just no big deal anymore.

When I pass a gun from me to you, the action will be open. If you dont when passing one to me, I wont take it. I'll remind once.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links