I'm looking at 2 guns, help me pick

This is a discussion on I'm looking at 2 guns, help me pick within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NOT FOR CONCELED CARRY USE (I live in Maryland) I currently have a XD9 Service, which I love... but, I'm sorry I just can't bring ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking at 2 guns, help me pick

NOT FOR CONCELED CARRY USE (I live in Maryland)

I currently have a XD9 Service, which I love... but, I'm sorry I just can't bring myself to store it in a ready condition for home defense.

I have carried the thing (in my home, since I live in MD) with a snap cap in the chamber for a couple of months, and I have taken the gun apart and put it back together. I KNOW for a fact that there is no way the gun will discharge without a proper grip and finger on the trigger... still, I'm uncomfortable.

So, I'm looking for a weapon with a DA/SA trigger and a safety/decocker switch in the $500 range.

With the MD pricing and with a trip to the dealer to handle some of my choices, I have it narrowed down to the PT 24/7 or the FNP-9.

I would like to her what users of the weapons think of them.

(Note: My primary HD weapon is a 20 gage loaded with 6 rounds of Buck Shot, BUT... if I need to clear the house to get to the kids bed rooms, I'm taking a handgun and leaving the wife in the hide hole with the Mossberg)

~Thanks
    Deacon

Id go with a used factory refurbished Sig. Check out A&D Guns on Crain Hwy in Glen Burnie.
    They have a great staff, great selection and great prices.

But if you dont want a Sig, Id go with the FN. They are damn fine pistols.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Either the Taurus or the FN would likely suit your needs. Which one do you like better? Which one fits your hand better?

I'm not a big fan of Taurus autos, but I'm fine with their revolvers, and I even have one of their .22 rifles. I simply think their autos are _ugly_ :(

FN has a great reputation for well made, and (typically) reliable firearms. I don't own one, but I've shot several FN pistols (not this model) and I've been impressed with them.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I prefer ANY FN pistol over EVERY Taurus pistol, regardless of application or caliber. (*For the budget you've set, take a look at the CZ SP-01)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Well, I'm heading to "On Target" (indoor range and dealer with a pretty good rental case) after work tonight to try them out in live fire.

To tell the truth, they both fit me very well. I closed my eyes, pointed at the wall in a two handed stance and on both guns the sights where lined up when I opened my eyes back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    NOT FOR CONCELED CARRY USE (I live

With the MD pricing and with a trip to the dealer to handle some of my choices, I have it narrowed down to the PT 24/7 or the FNP-9.

I would like to her what users of the weapons think of them.

~Thanks
    Deacon
    Don't know about the FNP-9 but I have the PT 24/7 in 45 Cal. So far it's performed flawlessly for me and is a pleasure to shoot and easy to CC. My favorite is still my XD-9 though.

Well, I'm heading to "On Target" (indoor range and dealer with a pretty good rental case) after work tonight to try them out in live fire.

To tell the truth, they both fit me very well. I closed my eyes, pointed at the wall in a two handed stance and on both guns the sights where lined up when I opened my eyes back up.
    Yeah, On Target has a good rental selection. But like Barts, I think On Target's prices are ridiculous.

Its a bit if a drive, But you may want to check out the "Christian Soldier" gun shop on Harford (Or is it Bel Air) Rd.

He's probably got the best Prices i have ever seen in MD.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

i bought a Taurus auto (mil pro 745C) and have had nothing but problems from it, and their support. from all the reports i've seen, i'm not the only one. i'll never buy another.

i like FN a lot.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Check out the beretta PX4 storm.

I own a PX4 in 9mm..great weapon, reliable, and cool looking! However for true reliability get a glock.

VIP Member
    I carry the FNP-9 and shoot with it at IDPA matches. It is a confortable weapon in my hand and very accurate (The owner is not). I reccomend it !
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I say;

1) Keep that XD loaded and ready, it won't shoot anyone unless you tell it to.
    2) The Taurus will do the job, so will the FN.
    3) Shoot both if possible, buy the one that YOU shoot best.
    4) Practice, practice, practice.

Stay safe!
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

So, I'm looking for a weapon with a DA/SA trigger and a safety/decocker switch in the $500 range.

Have handled the Taurus PT. Though I have not shot it, it points well and balances well in my hand. But it does not seem to be the equal in quality terms of any number of other firearms out there.

Of the two you mention, I'd opt for the FNP-9, based on quality, reliability, overall fit.

Though, if looking for a house (not concealed) gun, I'd select a CZ 75 series (75 B, 75 Compact, 75 D PCR, SP-01, P01/decocker) over the Taurus every time. Probably over the FNP-9. Relatively inexpensive. High quality. Highly accurate. With a good tuning (action/trigger job) and kept in good condition, any of these CZ's will last a lifetime. For me, as well, each fit my hand extremely well. Not nearly so large as a Beretta 92, though not nearly so slim as a Kahr K9. The balance is right, and they genrally point naturally. (Very much so, for the P01, which I have.) The 75's and SP-01 have an external safety, which you seem to want. There are plenty of after-market items for them, as well, including holsters, sights, misc. parts.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well, I put 20 rounds through a rental FNP... I got to say, I'm not impressed. Granted, it was a rental, beat to hell and very dirty. I shot a 8 inch group of 20 rounds at 25 feet... so not bad. I don't know, it's not my XD9, that's for sure.

Since I had some ammo left I tried out a Torus sub compact that I don't remember the model name on. It was crap. Granted, again the thing came out of the rental case, was caked in carbon, and worn out... 15 rounds and only a few in the black (8 inch) circle at the same range.

Well, I still had 15 rounds of range ammo (can't bring shoot your own with a rental gun) I grabbed the only other full size 9mm in the case... the M&P.

The first 3 shots where about 1 inch low and made a nice clover leaf, I was impresses. The trigger just felt 'right'. I put all my remaining 15 rounds in a 4 inch group. (Well I had one zinger, but I lost focus on the front sight because some @sshat had scratched all the paint out of the white dot)

Anyway, put 100 rounds through the XD after that (with my personal ammo) and called it a day.

I don't know, it just didn't seem like I could DA trigger is going to work for me any more.

If you are worried about the gun "going off". Why not just get a wheelgun for HD. You can buy a LEO trade in S&W 686 .357 4in for $350 from summit gunbroker. http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1677275.html. My brother bought one of these for HD from summit and the thing looks and shoots brand new. He also bought it b/c he was worried about semi-autos stored "cocked and locked", and with a round in the chamber.

Only thing you need to do with a revolver is pull the trigger, they will NOT go off by themselves. Also in a high stress situation you have no safteys to click or chambers to check. I too had the same kind of fears you do with a semi-auto for HD. I eventually got over them, but I had my gun with an empty chamber for a long time. Then I thought about if I needed to use it, would I remeber to rack the slide. The last sound I might ever hear, could be a "click". Good luck with whatever you decide. If you do buy the FN, I would like to see a range report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links