So I bought a Hi-Standard 380 to match my 22

This is a discussion on So I bought a Hi-Standard 380 to match my 22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 1947 was a great year. Sorry, if the pics are too big. Any critiques on my photo-taking is welcome; I'm still learning. The otoscope/ophthalmoscope angle. ...

Thread: So I bought a Hi-Standard 380 to match my 22

So I bought a Hi-Standard 380 to match my 22

1947 was a great year. Sorry, if the pics are too big. Any critiques on my photo-taking is welcome; I'm still learning.

The otoscope/ophthalmoscope angle.

And a couple of the revolvers.

More pictures here... http://ezapper.com/gunsJuly2007/gunsJuly2007.html

2. Remove Ads

Ammo, more ammo.

This outing was totally fun. Got to shoot the Warthog again. The Hi-Standard G380 was a total suprise. The Medusas were very accurate with the mix of ammo (as usual) and that is an 80-shot hole from the Citation. The targets are all from my wife.

Nothing brings respect to a relationship like gifting your sweetie with an auto!

Assistant Administrator
    Pics - they are good and very nice and sharp - just that last revo one needs ''tweaked'' to lighten it a bit. Also - (not trying to be harsh!) - they are physically bigger than needed and also file size larger than ideal. These would be a problem for dial up folks.

Not sure what software you have but - go grab Irfanview - it's a freebie and does not install deep to registry. It will allow easy resizing and saving to medium jpeg compression.

If the pics were about 640x480 and compressed to about 50% quality you might well finish up with files under 100k in size - much faster download. If you happen to want deeper stuff re image matters peek at my old site I did for THR way back ... might help some aspects.

Way back when I shot .22 bullseye I reckoned the Hi-Standard and Walther GSP were both top of the league for great guns. I shot Hi-Standard belonging to another shooter but had a GSP myself. Didn't realize there was a .380.

These guns now must have significant collectible values.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hey Wendy;

Thanks for posting the photos of your High Standard pistols, especially that .380. Though I knew they existed I've never seen one before, even in photographs.

Wendys are best! I know. I've been married 28 years to a particularly fine gal named Wendy.

Lead Moderator
    Very nice, and good shooters too. Never realized Hi standard made a .380
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I appreciate them.

I have gone back and lightened the last picture; I guess my display is brighter than most because after viewing the pictures on a friend's computer and at work, it does look darker than at home. I'll have to look into the resizing/file size issue later (after work tonight).

The G380 has a 4 digit serial #, if only it had a earlier number (3 digits or less), it would be worth in the thousands. But that's okay, because I was able to get a great deal through an old acquaintance of my hubby's. Thankfully, we know him and was able to get wind that he was selling some of his private collection! Hmm, still deciding on one of his Rock Island Armory guns.

BTW, hi jwphillips2/hubby! You need to come around here more often.

need to come by...

I know. I've been slacking on the forum. Next week will be louder because we're taking the .50s with us. should be an interesting contrast to the 22.

Very nice!
    I'm kind of a High Standard nut, so am quite envious!

VIP Member
    ..."Nice!"

Good pics, wendywc...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
    Very nice!
    I'm kind of a High Standard nut, so am quite envious!
    This was one of those things you didn't know about 'til you got involved. Before the move to Houston and the addition of all the new stuff they now make, I didn't think Hi-Standard made anything but .22. From the end of 1947 to the beginning of 1950 they made a little over 7,000 of the G-380. Notice the external hammer and the take-down lever that allows the barrel to slide from the receiver. According to Hi-Standard historians this was the model from which they fashioned all the rest of their 22s. It's obviously a good shooter so I don't know why it wasn't more popular.

Assistant Administrator
    According to Hi-Standard historians this was the model from which they fashioned all the rest of their 22s. It's obviously a good shooter so I don't know why it wasn't more popular.
    Thinking back I am wondering if the higher prices put folks off - I know the GSP I had would not have been possible if bought new - but it was used and affordable as a result.

Many people elected to get Rugers and tune them a bit - still getting very fair results. Then too Buckmarks and Smith 41's etc were also in use.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by jwphillips2 View Post
    This was one of those things you didn't know about 'til you got involved. Before the move to Houston and the addition of all the new stuff they now make, I didn't think Hi-Standard made anything but .22. From the end of 1947 to the beginning of 1950 they made a little over 7,000 of the G-380. Notice the external hammer and the take-down lever that allows the barrel to slide from the receiver. According to Hi-Standard historians this was the model from which they fashioned all the rest of their 22s. It's obviously a good shooter so I don't know why it wasn't more popular.
    Yeah, they played around with a lot of stuff, but the G380 was the only odd one that saw regular production. According to Charles E. Petty's book, they experimented with guns chambering everything from .25ACP through 45ACP (including .32 S&W Long).

It also says the G380 was developed from the .38 Special prototypes to get something out of the money they sunk into that failed idea. The fact the G380 evolved into the lever takdown series of .22s shows they got even more out of it, huh?

Too bad that of the experimentals, only the .380 made it into regular production.
    For that matter, it's really too bad High Standard didn't last.

Links