AK - bolt hold-open mod

This is a discussion on AK - bolt hold-open mod within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I expect some folks may have done this already but - on discussing with Ben Hennesy, he thought it might be worth a thread for ...

Thread: AK - bolt hold-open mod

Assistant Administrator

AK - bolt hold-open mod

I expect some folks may have done this already but - on discussing with Ben Hennesy, he thought it might be worth a thread for those who may have considered, but not done it. So here is a starter suggestion.

The ideas is of course simple ....... create a notch in the safety so that when safety engaged the lever also, with it's new notch ... holds the bolt open by snagging the handle.

Now - this is in a sense not quite complete because I need to modify mine a bit further, as the hold is not secure as I want - but I'll show the pics to give the main idea and then describe what I need to do to improve it.

First - mark with a sharpie where the lever lines up with bolt 99% to rear. Then using a Dremmel and fine cutting disk or small grinding deal - remove bit by bit until you match the bolt handle profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This should leave you seeing the engaged position looking like this pic .........

And another view ........

Now for what needs done yet - notice, the bolt handle has a radius at it's lower inner edge ... and while I matched that with my grinding, it leaves a rather insecure hold - the radius allowing for the safety lever to ride down and off if disturbed too much ... resulting in bolt slamming home.

My intended correction will be to make the front vertical portion of the safety lever notch become just a smidgeon rearward sloping ... plus possibly a very small tweak to the profile of the bolt handle. The result required is to have a less easy release until actually wanted.

Probably I will buy a new spare safety and work on that ... and when and if I get it done will post some more on it. It should be easy to see tho that the basic approach is dead simple.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Thanks for the info Chris, I was always wondering about this particular mod. I copied this over to the Reference and How-to section

Assistant Administrator
    Fair enough John - I nearly threw it there myself but am bothered that until I make the extra tweaks it isn't quite definitive.

That said I think it probably gives the overall basis to work on.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Good info to know. So, to engage this, one would have to hold the bolt to the rear and simultaneously engage the safety, correct? How awkward is that to do (with practice)?

Chris, I would use a file and square the face of the "nubbin" where the bolt handle joins the BC (the radiused area you mention), along with the face of your safety notch. Looks good!

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - indeed yes - you have to find a technique that works - IIRC I hold butt against my belly and use right hand (pinkie side) to pull bolt back and then put left hand over top to pull up lever.

Rob ...... yes for sure - I have to square off things and this is why I may start afresh with a replacement safety ...... thus slightly modify first the fwd radius of bolt handle and then create the notch to match - such that it has the slight rearward slope I mentioned earlier on its front face. This should give a more positive hold but still permit a fast sweep down of safety lever to release when required.
    Chris - P95

Links