Bushmaster .223 Pistol

Bushmaster .223 Pistol

This is a discussion on Bushmaster .223 Pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone got one of these and want to write me a little review on it? I'm spending money in my head and this keeps popping ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster .223 Pistol

Bushmaster .223 Pistol

Anyone got one of these and want to write me a little review on it?

I'm spending money in my head and this keeps popping up as one of the options...

Administrator
    I dont own one, but I have played with them a little. Its kinda of neat, fun to shoot for the wow factor. Other than that, they are kind of worthless.
    Now pay for the stamp and put a 6 position stock on it, you gots something worth while.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure how prices run without checking but chances are if I was actually gonna get something in the category I'd probably save some bucks and get the recent KelTech deal - forget designation. Then too of course there's the Carbon 15.

That Bushy shown is I guess overall the most compact.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Just don't put a vertical fore grip on it.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Looks like fun!

Slightly off topic:

Is it legal to own both a pistol and rifle/carbine at the same time without a tax stamp? Swapping uppers would make a SBR... Is a 'collection of parts' that make an SBR legal as long as they remain separate?

Administrator
    They have to be put togther. Machine gun or full auto parts are another story.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You can go to any show and get a 9" upper assembly, anything under 16" to be more precise, whenever you want. Just don't put it on a lower until that stamp arrives in the mail.

Thanks all, I'll tell you why I'm looking at it. I have wanted a FN FiveseveN for a while now and am seriously considering purchasing one soon. While I was playing around in my mind with what else I could get for similar money (both are about $850 around here) I remembered the Bushmaster.
    It would be a range gun primarily, although I'm sure it would have it's place in a EOTWAWKI scenario.
    They also do a 9mm, but I have a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm to fill that gap in the safe, no point getting two subs is there?

Anyone know if this is on the 'to ban' list that may or may not exist after the next election?

I want it, but do I need it?

And for that matter do I need the FN?

Hmm, I'm thinking too much...

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    yes its on the "to ban list". I believe if falls under the wording "any semi-automatic pistol that accepts a magazine any other place than the hand grip".

Pretty broad description that would encompass that bushmaster you are looking at.

I got to play with one. The wow factor was over very quickly and I didn't care for it.

Now if you added a six-position stock and a vertical fore-grip... ... but that is a no-no with out paying for the stamp.

If you are looking for something like that, check out rock river's pistols. They look a lot better built to me. I know the bushmaster pistol I got to shoot was really finicky on the magazine and was jamming every few shots.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    ...I know the bushmaster pistol I got to shoot was really finicky on the magazine and was jamming every few shots.
    I was wondering about that, do you think it has to do with the shorter buffer and spring? That thing's gotta be shorter than a carbine buffer and buffer spring....

I'd like to mirror Sixto and SonofASniper, I'd pay the stamp and stock it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I was wondering about that, do you think it has to do with the shorter buffer and spring? That thing's gotta be shorter than a carbine buffer and buffer spring....

That and the gas system... the shorter you make 'em the tougher they are to get running right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Also some of the Carbon series guns seemed to have feed issues. Mine carbon 15 worked well, but others reported gouges in the carbon just below the feed ramp from bullet tips.
    I tried shooting my BM Carbon 15 with out putting the stock to mty shoulder. I couldn't seem to hit anything that way.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've owned one for about three months, put roughly 500 rounds thru it with one jam(may have been my fault) its ALOT of fun to shoot and very accurate at 100 yds., using the iron sites. In Florida at this time of year, its my Hurricane gun, with a sling and a scope on it its also really cool looking! I didn't find the Keltec version as reliable or as well
    made as my 97S bushy.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

That, what Sixto said about the gas system, and what Rocky said about the feed ramp. It seemed slightly prone to jamming anyways, but depending on the magazine used, the bullets were just gouging the heck out of the feed ramp. We found the best way to make it reliable was to keep your off hand on the magazine with a constant forward pressure. That angled the bullets ever so slightly so that they fed in much easier.

I liked the idea of the pistol, but the whole thing just struck me as trying to stuff a 100 lbs of in a 1 lb sack. I have heard that Bushmaster has improved a lot on the carbon series of guns overall though.

Not to derail the thread, but I am really interested if anyone has gotten to try out any of the Rock River AR pistols. Last I looked at those, they appeared solid and had some interesting packages available.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Looks like fun!

Slightly off topic:

Is it legal to own both a pistol and rifle/carbine at the same time without a tax stamp? Swapping uppers would make a SBR... Is a 'collection of parts' that make an SBR legal as long as they remain separate?
    A matter of much debate.

From what I have read, you are OK if you own a complete pistol and a complete rifle/carbine.

Where you get into trouble is if you don't have a pistol lower (or an SBR stamped lower) and a short barrel upper.

Even if they are never attached together, an argument that you are in "constructive possession" can be made. Even if you later prevail in the court case, you're still out many thousands of dollars.

Personally, I would not have an upper with a barrel under 16" in the house unless I have a pistol / SBR lower readily to hand.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links