M44 all cleaned up

This is a discussion on M44 all cleaned up within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I purchased this M44 a couple of months ago and finally got around to working on it. Luckily there wasn't a lot of cosmo ...

Thread: M44 all cleaned up

M44 all cleaned up

So I purchased this M44 a couple of months ago and finally got around to working on it. Luckily there wasn't a lot of cosmo to deal with at the start. Stripped and refinished the stock and then gave it a Duracoat application to the barrel, trigger assembly etc..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpmiv/948531908/
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

2. Remove Ads

That is a really nice looking M44. What did you pick that up for? There are some great buys out there for them. It's nice to see you got a nice one. I see them all the time in Shotgun News fairly cheap.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Oooo, nice. I love my mosin's, hard to beat for the $$$. They are worth it for the fireballs they spit out and for the "look that guys got a bayonet sticking out", at the range factor.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to you refinish yours, and do you have any tips/suggestions for someone looking to refinsh one?

It was just shy $100 after tax and transfer. I was visiting the Gunsmith and saw this as I walked in, somehow it followed me home.

It really didn't take that much time the longest / most tedious was sanding the stock. I used sanding blocks so it wasn't that much of a PITA but still time consuming. After that there there were long periods where I had to wait. Wait for the stain to dry, wait for the polyurethane to dry etc... and the worst part was 1/2 way through the Duracoat my airbrush gave up on me. So it was 0100 and I had the Duracoat mixed and no way to apply it. Luckily Wally world was open and had a different sprayer (actually I think it's for painting cars but it worked)
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Quote Originally Posted by cpmiv View Post
    So I purchased this M44 a couple of months ago and finally got around to working on it. Luckily there wasn't a lot of cosmo to deal with at the start. Stripped and refinished the stock and then gave it a Duracoat application to the barrel, trigger assembly etc..
    Nice. I just got an unissued M44 last week. It's in such good shape I think I'll leave it as-is for a general fun shooter, but I'm already thinking about tracking down a more used one to customize a bit; clean up the wood and use a nice gloss finish, then Duracoat the metal in some less-traditional colors. (maybe camo, maybe something eye-catching...who knows, they're cheap enough to have some fun with)

How did you like the Duracoat? I've been wanting to try it ever since I realized I have no way to deal with GunKote (only comes in bake-on) for the barrel/receiver of my 1917 Enfield since it won't fit in the oven. (bought it already Bubbafied because the stock fit me too well to pass up)

OTOH, I may soon have a Flat Dark Earth GunKoted BBQ grill or exhaust system, (maybe even a pistol if I work up the nerve) since I have the rest of a 16oz can here, and it definitely lives up to its durability claims.

Senior Moderator
    Nice job, it's hard to beat the durability of an M44
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Duracoat works just fine and it isn't too much of a pain to apply. I have an Ishy Enfield I'm going to take care of next, just need to take it to the smith for a couple of stripped screws. I've done a couple other firearms as well since I'm not very good at judging quantity for the coating I like to have a couple of things to do in each "batch".

You can bake the coating on, it saves a week of curing, if you have any of the other bits and pieces except the barrel you might want to throw them in for an hour or so. Luckily the M44 barrel just fit in the oven.

Senior Moderator
    Nice...

bet ya cant stop at just one...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, I was in the mood to do something with the GunKote, and my PT-99's bluing needed some work, so I decided to make it unique:
    Attached Images

I guess since this is an M44 thread, I should include a pic of mine, too.
    Attached Images

Links