EBAY to restrict more firearm related items

This is a discussion on EBAY to restrict more firearm related items within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200707....07-07-30094109 *Message from Matt Halprin – New Listing Restrictions on Gun Parts*** July 30, 2007 | 10:00AM PST/PT Matt Halprin Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EBAY to restrict more firearm related items

Thumbs down EBAY to restrict more firearm related items

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200707....07-07-30094109

*Message from Matt Halprin – New Listing Restrictions on Gun Parts***

July 30, 2007 | 10:00AM PST/PT

Matt Halprin

Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,

Matt Halprin
    Vice President, Trust & Safety

2. Remove Ads

"we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun"
    Isn't that basically everything? (not quite of course, but it sounds like it will be soon)

Has anyone heard what "items purchased on eBay" they think the killer used? This is the first i've head anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by levi333 View Post
    Has anyone heard what "items purchased on eBay" they think the killer used? This is the first i've head anything about that.
    I believe that he bought some evil P22 10 round magazines...

Well past time to start GunBay
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    I believe that he bought some evil P22 10 round magazines...
    Oh noes!!! Lock up your daughters!@!#@!
    But according to that statement, they will still be allowing the sale of 10 round mags since they aren't required to fire the gun, nor does any state have a restriction on them.
    Unless the P22 requires a mag to be inserted to fire. Anyone know?
    But then they would have to ban ALL mags since I'm sure no-one at ebay will be checking to see what guns have that requirement.

Jeez, ebay is really going down hill IMO in the last few years.

Assistant Administrator
    Knowing their original stance I am almost surprised it took this long to limit other stuff that is gun related.

Seems now about anything remotely gun oriented will be out ... just so they can enjoy ''feelgood'' and not have to take blame for any misuse of such items. Being so huge of course I guess it won't affect traffic much at all within their grand scheme of things - just another success for the anti brigade.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by RobL View Post
    Well past time to start GunBay
    it exists...
    www.gunbroker.com

Why not ban carburetors and other engine components that are required to make an automobile go down the highway. Last time I checked, cars kill more people than guns.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Gun Bay! I like it!

It's realy too bad. I built my 1911 from parts bought off of ebay. Name brand parts at a fraction of the cost. I just got the brownells catalog and went shopping on ebay.

I don't know if I will have much use for ebay if they aren't allowing gunparts. Oh well.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

So I guess e-bay does not need my business. How soon will they ban archery equipment, knives, baseball bats, and other blunt objects also?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    That's a real shame.

Well, that should really kick things up over at GunBroker.
    And on the plus side it should get some of the "Highway Robbery Opening Bid Prices" lower on Gunbroker also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgsracer View Post
    http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200707....07-07-30094109After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do.
    No, it's the idiotic, reactionary, politically-correct, hysterical, symbolic thing to do. Do you really think that by doing that, you're going to prevent murders? There are umteen thousand other places where people, including the VT murderer, can obtain these things. The proper realization to make is that the item, and the seller of the item, are not responsible for the things the user does with them, ever.

After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team...
    Hmmm, is that like the "Ministry of Truth"?

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members
    Matt Halprin
    Vice President, Trust & Safety
    You don't encourage safety by trying to make an item unavailable.
    If you were trying to teach someone "Chainsaw Safety," you would show him how to use the chainsaw safely; you wouldn't just take away the chainsaw and say, "Now you are safe from chainsaw accidents." I mean, what's the point? Is it really your policy to take away everything that could be used in murder, or used unsafely?

It is time gun owners stood together and stopped working with EBay NOW. Hopefully the NRA will pick this up and run.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by levi333 View Post
    But according to that statement, they will still be allowing the sale of 10 round mags since they aren't required to fire the gun, nor does any state have a restriction on them.
    Unless the P22 requires a mag to be inserted to fire. Anyone know?
    But then they would have to ban ALL mags since I'm sure no-one at ebay will be checking to see what guns have that requirement.

Jeez, ebay is really going down hill IMO in the last few years.
    Sorry, they are going to ban magazines! Look at Ebay's statement again.

Quote Originally Posted by lgsracer View Post
    http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200707....07-07-30094109

*Message from Matt Halprin – New Listing Restrictions on Gun Parts***

July 30, 2007 | 10:00AM PST/PT

Matt Halprin

Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.......
    I think that leaves only holsters & grips!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I don't shop on e-bay so I don't care if they go jump in the lake.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links