Tuff Gun coating?

Tuff Gun coating?

This is a discussion on Tuff Gun coating? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone delt with Macs http://www.shootiniron.com/ I'm thinking of getting my carry weapon and a long gun coated and would like to know if it's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuff Gun coating?

Tuff Gun coating?

Has anyone delt with Macs http://www.shootiniron.com/
    I'm thinking of getting my carry weapon and a long gun coated and would like to know if it's worth it. Has anyone here had a weapon coated with the tuff gun finish?

They say it's KG Gunkote; if so, you might save some $$, and find a local smith doing it. Personally, I have a preference for DuraCoat, or best of all- Teflon/moly over parkerizing, but Gunkote has been around a long time, and is very durable when properly applied.

Wow, those are some cool finishes. I appreciate posting the link because I am going to finish my STI spartan later this year. While I am a big fan of hard chrome, I have always desired a 1911 finished in a deep black matte finish.

Again, thanks.

I may try to find a local smith (not many in my area) but these guys seem to do a good job and they take trades. I want to have one of my STG58's coated just like the one in the picture, I love the OD green.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Whatever you do, I recommend at least checking out 'Melonite QPQ' at Coal Creek Armory first. Or just do a search on it and learn about it.

also check out robar

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

In my opinion, if you check out Robar, go with the NP3. I've had both Roguard and NP3 and I'll never own another gun with a roguard finish whereas I am very happy with the NP3 finish.
    If you want a grayish, satin finish, go with NP3.
    If you want black, check out the Melonite QPQ.
    Just my $.02

Thanks for the ideas. I will do some more research.

most people don't know it but this is something you can do quite easily at home for about $50 including all supplies...enough to do a couple of guns.
    I prefer the moly based coatings like KG GunKote (which is what is used in the link you posted) and Norrell's Moly Resin...I like that they are thinner than the Duracoat which is really just Sherwin Williams Polane T in a different container.

here's a good tutorial on doing it yourself.
    http://www.black-rifles.com/forums/i...?showtopic=477

think of it this way...if you do it yourself and you don't like it then you are only out about $50 but if you do like it then you can refinish anything you want and only have to pay for the supplies.
    If you don't have a compressor then the compressed air cans shown in the link I posted aren't great, but they work just fine for a small job like a gun...just get a couple of them because if you spray a lot they will cool down and loose pressure.

Just a thought for a DIY project that is pretty hard to mess up.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    Has anyone delt with Macs http://www.shootiniron.com/
    I'm thinking of getting my carry weapon and a long gun coated and would like to know if it's worth it. Has anyone here had a weapon coated with the tuff gun finish?
    I've got to ask since you list your carry gun as a G23...

Why are you thinking of getting a product to coat the finish? The Glock tenfier coating gives it all the protection it will ever need.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I've got to ask since you list your carry gun as a G23...

Why are you thinking of getting a product to coat the finish? The Glock tenfier coating gives it all the protection it will ever need.
    I have a second gen G23 that is starting to show wear over the last 13 years or so. The gun was made in September of 1994. I don't know if Glock has something I can use to touch it up so I just thought an aftermarket coating would do the trick. If you know of anything, Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    most people don't know it but this is something you can do quite easily at home for about $50 including all supplies...enough to do a couple of guns.
    I prefer the moly based coatings like KG GunKote (which is what is used in the link you posted) and Norrell's Moly Resin...I like that they are thinner than the Duracoat which is really just Sherwin Williams Polane T in a different container.

here's a good tutorial on doing it yourself.
    http://www.black-rifles.com/forums/i...?showtopic=477

think of it this way...if you do it yourself and you don't like it then you are only out about $50 but if you do like it then you can refinish anything you want and only have to pay for the supplies.
    If you don't have a compressor then the compressed air cans shown in the link I posted aren't great, but they work just fine for a small job like a gun...just get a couple of them because if you spray a lot they will cool down and loose pressure.

Just a thought for a DIY project that is pretty hard to mess up.
    Thanks for the link! I will try this first. I have plenty of spare parts to practice on and if things work out I might get more money out of them when I sell or trade.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I have a second gen G23 that is starting to show wear over the last 13 years or so. The gun was made in September of 1994. I don't know if Glock has something I can use to touch it up so I just thought an aftermarket coating would do the trick. If you know of anything, Please let me know.
    Glock can re-finish it if you want to send the slide to them, but it is not necessary from a corrosion protection standpoint, because the black on the slide is not the tenifer finish. This is a common misconception. The black is just for appearance. The tenifer, which protects from corrosion, etc, will not wear off.

From Glock FAQs
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock FAQs
    My tenifer finish is wearing off how do I replace it?

The tenifer finish is an extremely hard surface preparation that is impregnated into the slide before the black parkerized coating is applied. Even if the black coating is wearing off, the slide is is still protected by the tenifer finish.
    So if the appearance bothers you, you can send it to Glock and they can make it look like new, but from a functional standpoint, there is nothing wrong with your G23. My primary carry weapon is a G23 that I have had since 1995, and I like the worn look. It reminds me how long it has been my faithful companion.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I like the 2nd gen style and the wear doesn't bother me. I just didn't want to find rust, very humid in south Georgia. Thanks for the info. I probably will just keep doing what I'm doing. My FN on the other hand, needs to be OD green.

Administrator
    That Norrell Moly Resin (mentioned above) is a nice looking finish. Real purdy for a DIY at home project.

Click here to look at this pic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links