The hypocracy of being a "liberal"

This is a discussion on The hypocracy of being a "liberal" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I use the term "liberal," here to mean what has become the standard in American society for liberalism, mostly democratic views. I don't consider myself ...

Thread: The hypocracy of being a "liberal"

The hypocracy of being a "liberal"

I use the term "liberal," here to mean what has become the standard in American society for liberalism, mostly democratic views. I don't consider myself a republican by any means, but I find this stance to be hypocritical. Some background. Someone posted this on a forum:

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism, but there are so many close-minded idiots who believe that we should just be sheep and do what the government says, otherwise we're un-American.
    Sensing the "liberalism" in his tone, I simply asked if he owns a firearm, since I would assume that if you are a patriot if you dissent...to revolt must make you an icon.

After his argument against guns, I simply posted this:

There are various forms of dissenting against a government, from simple protest, to boycotts, to sit-ins, to strikes, to propaganda, to revolts and revolution.

If dissent is the highest form of patriotism, then wouldn't a revolution be the highest form of dissent? Dissenting is to express your discontent with something, so the highest form of dissent would be to remove the thing that causes such displeasure, no? So that means in order to be a "true" patriot, one would need to have the means to start a revolution, no? So again...do you own a firearm?
    It is my opinion that if you believe dissension to be patriotism, then you must believe that carrying it to the extreme could become necessary and therefore a revolutionaries are the highest patriots. So bearing arms would make you a patriot, no? I'd love to hear some opinions to help strengthen my argument.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You don't need to dig very far to find hypocrisy in liberalism...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think instead of picking on liberals or conservative the real problem is extremism of any kind... religious zealotry, extreme liberals or leftism or rightism's. The problem is people try to put any situation into a box of there ideas and can not tolerate any other way or solution to a problem then there own. I think the problem is that people in general do not want to think but let others do the thiinking for them they believe what they see on TV or the internet. They believe what so called leaders tell them or they believe what is in a book. The unthinking heard of any stripe is our own worst enemy.

Here's one.

Most Liberal's are pro-choice.
    Most Liberals are Anti-Gun.

Its ok to kill babies, but not the bad guy trying to kill your babies.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    You don't need to dig very far to find hypocrisy in liberalism...
    agree

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy5 View Post
    There are various forms of dissenting against a government, from simple protest, to boycotts, to sit-ins, to strikes, to propaganda, to revolts and revolution.

If dissent is the highest form of patriotism, then wouldn't a revolution be the highest form of dissent? Dissenting is to express your discontent with something, so the highest form of dissent would be to remove the thing that causes such displeasure, no? So that means in order to be a "true" patriot, one would need to have the means to start a revolution, no? So again...do you own a firearm?
    I have to disagree with your logic, in part.

There are various forms of dissention, yes. But one is not always "best". In my opinion, a true patriot is the one that employs all forms of dissention when and where they are appropriate to preserve freedom and liberty (including one that you did not name: voting). In my opinion, equating forcible revolution with the "highest form of patriotism" misses the point of patriotism.

I think the point you were trying to make was that dissent against a powerful government is worthless if you are unarmed. The mere fact that a potential (no matter how unlikely) revolution could be armed gives the dissent force. Anything less is useless, and it is this fact that the founders understood and summarized in the text of the second amendment.

Is that what you were trying to convey to your liberal friend?

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    Here's one.

Most Liberal's are pro-choice.
    Most Liberals are Anti-Gun.

Its ok to kill babies, but not the bad guy trying to kill your babies.
    +1
    I'm always saying it.
    They think it's ok to kill a baby that's never even had the chance to do anything bad to another.
    Yet....
    They'll defend to the end the rights of a murderer or a rapist or a serial killer while saying that the death penalty is wrong or unjust.

It boils down to this:
    LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL DISORDER!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I'm tired of hearing liberals say that dissent is the highest form of patriorism. They're just trying to justify their dissent and dissatisfaction with their country.
    If you listen to or talk to them for any amount of time you'll realize they usually have a hatred for "their" country and don't know what 'patriotism' really is much less have any.

VIP Member
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box." - Steve Symms, U.S. Senator, Idaho
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Liberals employ circular logic. Its one of the benefits of lacking a moral compass.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Although I enjoy exposing liberals for their hypocrisy as much as the next true American, this thread is dangerously close to violating forum rules.

Assistant Administrator
    This is indeed very borderline ... and while we use the 'liberal'' word in many ways, usually derogatory - it is really more political in nature as a subject, and also not a general gun discussion topic.

Not therefore really part of the board's overall brief.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links