Purchasing a Used Gun Person to Person (PA)

This is a discussion on Purchasing a Used Gun Person to Person (PA) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Uncle has been looking for a used 357 for a little while and found one that he is going to buy yesterday. He is ...

Thread: Purchasing a Used Gun Person to Person (PA)

me [OP]

My Uncle has been looking for a used 357 for a little while and found one that he is going to buy yesterday. He is Buying it off of a retired LEO so the validity of the gun is not a question for my uncle. But this LEO bought it from another LEO many moons ago with out any transfer paperwork being done.

My Uncle's question he asked I pose to you all is this: Does any paperwork have to be done for the purchase of a firearm sold person to person? And if so would it be an issue that the person selling him the gun does not have it in his name.

These folks both know and trust each other so the question of legality of the gun nor my Uncle having a gun would be an issue for either of them since the seller is retired LEO and my uncle is a CCW permit holder.

Any info is helpful

Thanks
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

JD
    Administrator
    To buy a handgun it has to go through an FFL to be legal, seeing as how PA has no "Registry" of handguns, it should be OK to go through a dealer to do the legally required transfer, but I'd have your uncle call a few shops just to check. Everytime I've sold a gun, they don't verify antything on the gun, just the buyer back ground check, everytime I've sold a gun directly to a FFL, they just hand me the cash and a reciept, they've never verified ownership to my knowledge, mainly because, there is no law requiring the registration of hand guns in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    To buy a handgun it has to go through an FFL to be legal, seeing as how PA has no "Registry" of handguns, it should be OK to go through a dealer to do the legally required transfer, but I'd have your uncle call a few shops just to check. Everytime I've sold a gun, they don't verify antything on the gun, just the buyer back ground check, everytime I've sold a gun directly to a FFL, they just hand me the cash and a reciept, they've never verified ownership to my knowledge, mainly because, there is no law requiring the registration of hand guns in PA.
    Yes, unless the buyer is a C&R holder and the gun is a C&R.
    But I doubt this is the case since he's looking for a .357
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

I do not believe you have to go through an FFL unless PA has some specific law to that effect. That is required when a busniess is selling a firearm or you are buying from out of state and having it shipped in to you say off of Gunbroker.com. You are selling private property to a private buyer. You cannot sell a gun if you know or have reason to believe that the buyer cannot own a gun legally but otherwise it should not be a problem. There is no gun registration in PA so no gun is "in his name" so-to-speak.

This is what I do when selling a private gun. I write up a bill of sell, I require a copy of the buyers drivers license, and CCW permit or in MN we have a permit to purchase if they don't have a CCW. Both prove a background check was run by police and they passed so either will do. I have the buyer sign the bill of sell and give them a copy after money has changed hands.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I do not believe you have to go through an FFL unless PA has some specific law to that effect. That is required when a busniess is selling a firearm or you are buying from out of state and having it shipped in to you say off of Gunbroker.com. You are selling private property to a private buyer. You cannot sell a gun if you know or have reason to believe that the buyer cannot own a gun legally but otherwise it should not be a problem. There is no gun registration in PA so no gun is "in his name" so-to-speak.

This is what I do when selling a private gun. I write up a bill of sell, I require a copy of the buyers drivers license, and CCW permit or in MN we have a permit to purchase if they don't have a CCW. Both prove a background check was run by police and they passed so either will do. I have the buyer sign the bill of sell and give them a copy after money has changed hands.

I always thought ALL handguns (except C&R's) Must be sold through a FFL.
    Thats no state law, thats federal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I always thought ALL handguns (except C&R's) Must be sold through a FFL.
    Thats no state law, thats federal.
    Nope...

Sales via FFL are strictly for interstate & store sales (unless a state says otherwise). Person to person within a state are only affected by the state statutes (assuming that both parties are residents of the same state). Example, person to person handgun sale in NC still requires the "pistol purchase permit" to be presented to the selling party ...

In other states you might just be "advised" to do a bill of sale with copies to both parties for CYA.

Nick

JD
    Administrator
    IN PA YOU MUST TRANSFER A HANDGUN THROUGH AN FFL unless...

From the Pennsylvania State Police Website.

Handgun transfers between private individuals require a background check unless the exchange is between family members such as parent and child, grandparent and grandchild, or spouses.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    IN PA YOU MUST TRANSFER A HANDGUN THROUGH AN FFL unless...

From the Pennsylvania State Police Website.
    Thanks for that link.

JD
    Administrator
    Not a problem

You can call three shops and get three different answers. Call your state police's local barracks and get the badge number and name of whomever answers your question. Googling Pennsylvania's (or whatever state's) State Code regarding handgun sales as JD did for you is the most definitive method of determining the legality of any actions you or others you know may undertake.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

me [OP]
    Thanks for the help guys, he paid the guy for it today and will be diong the ppr work early next week.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Sponsored Links