Purchasing a Used Gun Person to Person (PA)

Purchasing a Used Gun Person to Person (PA)

This is a discussion on Purchasing a Used Gun Person to Person (PA) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Uncle has been looking for a used 357 for a little while and found one that he is going to buy yesterday. He is ...

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Purchasing a Used Gun Person to Person (PA)

  1. #1
    me [OP]
    me is offline
    Senior Member Array me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Shanandoah Valley VA
    Posts
    1,015

    Purchasing a Used Gun Person to Person (PA)

    My Uncle has been looking for a used 357 for a little while and found one that he is going to buy yesterday. He is Buying it off of a retired LEO so the validity of the gun is not a question for my uncle. But this LEO bought it from another LEO many moons ago with out any transfer paperwork being done.

    My Uncle's question he asked I pose to you all is this: Does any paperwork have to be done for the purchase of a firearm sold person to person? And if so would it be an issue that the person selling him the gun does not have it in his name.

    These folks both know and trust each other so the question of legality of the gun nor my Uncle having a gun would be an issue for either of them since the seller is retired LEO and my uncle is a CCW permit holder.

    Any info is helpful

    Thanks
    Mark

    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

    -James Earl Jones


  2. #2
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,364
    To buy a handgun it has to go through an FFL to be legal, seeing as how PA has no "Registry" of handguns, it should be OK to go through a dealer to do the legally required transfer, but I'd have your uncle call a few shops just to check. Everytime I've sold a gun, they don't verify antything on the gun, just the buyer back ground check, everytime I've sold a gun directly to a FFL, they just hand me the cash and a reciept, they've never verified ownership to my knowledge, mainly because, there is no law requiring the registration of hand guns in PA.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    To buy a handgun it has to go through an FFL to be legal, seeing as how PA has no "Registry" of handguns, it should be OK to go through a dealer to do the legally required transfer, but I'd have your uncle call a few shops just to check. Everytime I've sold a gun, they don't verify antything on the gun, just the buyer back ground check, everytime I've sold a gun directly to a FFL, they just hand me the cash and a reciept, they've never verified ownership to my knowledge, mainly because, there is no law requiring the registration of hand guns in PA.
    Yes, unless the buyer is a C&R holder and the gun is a C&R.
    But I doubt this is the case since he's looking for a .357
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array havegunjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,206
    I do not believe you have to go through an FFL unless PA has some specific law to that effect. That is required when a busniess is selling a firearm or you are buying from out of state and having it shipped in to you say off of Gunbroker.com. You are selling private property to a private buyer. You cannot sell a gun if you know or have reason to believe that the buyer cannot own a gun legally but otherwise it should not be a problem. There is no gun registration in PA so no gun is "in his name" so-to-speak.

    This is what I do when selling a private gun. I write up a bill of sell, I require a copy of the buyers drivers license, and CCW permit or in MN we have a permit to purchase if they don't have a CCW. Both prove a background check was run by police and they passed so either will do. I have the buyer sign the bill of sell and give them a copy after money has changed hands.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

    Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I do not believe you have to go through an FFL unless PA has some specific law to that effect. That is required when a busniess is selling a firearm or you are buying from out of state and having it shipped in to you say off of Gunbroker.com. You are selling private property to a private buyer. You cannot sell a gun if you know or have reason to believe that the buyer cannot own a gun legally but otherwise it should not be a problem. There is no gun registration in PA so no gun is "in his name" so-to-speak.

    This is what I do when selling a private gun. I write up a bill of sell, I require a copy of the buyers drivers license, and CCW permit or in MN we have a permit to purchase if they don't have a CCW. Both prove a background check was run by police and they passed so either will do. I have the buyer sign the bill of sell and give them a copy after money has changed hands.

    I always thought ALL handguns (except C&R's) Must be sold through a FFL.
    Thats no state law, thats federal.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

  6. #6
    Member Array nikdfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Person Co. NC
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I always thought ALL handguns (except C&R's) Must be sold through a FFL.
    Thats no state law, thats federal.
    Nope...

    Sales via FFL are strictly for interstate & store sales (unless a state says otherwise). Person to person within a state are only affected by the state statutes (assuming that both parties are residents of the same state). Example, person to person handgun sale in NC still requires the "pistol purchase permit" to be presented to the selling party ...

    In other states you might just be "advised" to do a bill of sale with copies to both parties for CYA.

    Nick

  7. #7
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,364
    IN PA YOU MUST TRANSFER A HANDGUN THROUGH AN FFL unless...

    From the Pennsylvania State Police Website.

    Handgun transfers between private individuals require a background check unless the exchange is between family members such as parent and child, grandparent and grandchild, or spouses.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    IN PA YOU MUST TRANSFER A HANDGUN THROUGH AN FFL unless...

    From the Pennsylvania State Police Website.
    Thanks for that link.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

  9. #9
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,364
    Not a problem

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array Juggernaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    569
    You can call three shops and get three different answers. Call your state police's local barracks and get the badge number and name of whomever answers your question. Googling Pennsylvania's (or whatever state's) State Code regarding handgun sales as JD did for you is the most definitive method of determining the legality of any actions you or others you know may undertake.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

  11. #11
    me [OP]
    me is offline
    Senior Member Array me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Shanandoah Valley VA
    Posts
    1,015
    Thanks for the help guys, he paid the guy for it today and will be diong the ppr work early next week.
    Mark

    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

    -James Earl Jones

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Person to person purchase with CCW.
    By mmmgaspacho in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 27th, 2009, 11:26 PM
  2. Just one person
    By Miggy in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May 16th, 2007, 01:19 AM
  3. Another FL person
    By JustinL in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: September 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM
  4. Now this is a person who gets it.
    By 4my sons in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: August 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Search tags for this page

buying a used gun in pa
,
how to register a gun in pa
,

how to sell a gun in pa

,
how to sell a handgun in pa
,

how to sell a rifle in pa

,

how to transfer a gun in pa

,

how to transfer a handgun in pa

,

selling a gun in pa

,

selling a handgun in pa

,

selling a rifle in pa

,

transferring a handgun in pa

,
used guns for sale in pa
Click on a term to search for related topics.