Cleaning (I must not be that good)

This is a discussion on Cleaning (I must not be that good) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have found several threads stating what cleaners everyone is using, but this does not help me. As I am using break free and hoppes#9. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning (I must not be that good)

Cleaning (I must not be that good)

I have found several threads stating what cleaners everyone is using, but this does not help me. As I am using break free and hoppes#9.

My PT1911 has been very reliable but for some reason i cannot get the bore clean. Not sure why? Can't tell if there is barrel damage or if it has that much fouling. i must have run 10-12 full patches soaked in #9 last night and they were still coming out dirty. My beretta and S&W both clean up real nice but for some reason I cannot get the Taurus cleaned up.

Any suggestions?

I am out of town right now but when I get back I will try and post some pics of the inside of the barrel. Thanks for any suggestions that come up.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wareagleky View Post
    I have found several threads stating what cleaners everyone is using, but this does not help me. As I am using break free and hoppes#9.

My PT1911 has been very reliable but for some reason i cannot get the bore clean. Not sure why? Can't tell if there is barrel damage or if it has that much fouling. i must have run 10-12 full patches soaked in #9 last night and they were still coming out dirty. My beretta and S&W both clean up real nice but for some reason I cannot get the Taurus cleaned up.

Any suggestions?

I am out of town right now but when I get back I will try and post some pics of the inside of the barrel. Thanks for any suggestions that come up.

Ummm, try a brush first? I usually run a wet patch through, then a wetted bore brush a few times, then back to patches. If still not coming clean dunno...maybe lead fouling? I've always used jacketed rounds, but it seems that lead would probably keep the patched coming out dirty. Also, make sure the muzzle is clean. A little crud on the front of the barrel (not inside) will keep them patches comin back dirty forever.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Try an appropriate sized brass brush liberaly sprayed with non clorinated brake cleaner to start out . then go to hoppies , then the patches . Some barrels can be problematic due to machine chatter , or tooling wear leaving the surface a bit rough .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thanks will have to try the brake cleaner. I have used a brush but still coming out dirty as said. Hopefully the break cleaner may break this stuff up.

Only thing I know that could be the culprit was about a 100 rounds of lead semi wad cutters. May not shoot these any more unless I can find an easy way to clean up afterwords.

Thanks again and if anyone else has any suggestions I am all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagleky View Post
    Only thing I know that could be the culprit was about a 100 rounds of lead semi wad cutters. May not shoot these any more unless I can find an easy way to clean up afterwords.
    Ahh, what kind of gun? I've heard that the glock Hexagonal barrels really hate lead round. In any case, they sell stuff specifically for lead fouling.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Taurus PT1911

Maybe some Choreboy scouring pad wrapped around and jag and/or J&B Bore cleaning paste.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I usually do this:
    Boresnake
    wet brush
    wipe down the rest of the gun while waiting for the solvent to work
    wet patch
    wet patch
    dry patch
    Flitz on a bore mop - scrub back and forth at least 10 strokes
    dry patch - scrubbing again until it looks like a lump of tar
    single passes with dry patches until they come out clean
    wet patch
    dry patch - pretty much always comes out clean at this point
    oil patch - depending on the gun, I use Rem oil or Bore Butter
    dry patch

Wash the bore mop with dish detergent and allow it to dry. The Boresnakes will work for several cleanings before they need to be washed, then I roll them up, stuff them in socks, (one per sock) and tie the socks shut. Use the "extra dirty whites" cycle. Never try to wash a bunch of them loose, or you'll spend hours separating them. Drape them over something to dry.

FWIW, the Blue Wonder gun cleaner works well and doesn't smell half bad in case you've got somebody around the house that can't stand Hoppe's.

I like the way my gun cleaners smell. :high:

1943 - 2009
    If the problem is leading, not copper fouling, try the Lewis Lead Remover and J-B Bore Cleaner from Brownells.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Schuemann barrels and barrel cleaning

...My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...

Source - Wil Schuemann
    http://www.schuemann.com/Content/clean0.htm
    I personally have not cleaned the bore of any of my pistols in years and they all shoot accurately, and I've put thousands of rounds through them each.
    The only exception is my Marvel .22 conversion to which I'll use a bore snake to clean it once per month or so.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    If the problem is leading, not copper fouling, try the Lewis Lead Remover and J-B Bore Cleaner from Brownells.
    Yep, don't shoot lead, unless you like the work.

Try Dawn dish detergent and hot water. You will be surprised what comes out. Rinse in very hot water which will evaporate quickly. If still worried about possible rust, use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Maybe some Choreboy scouring pad wrapped around and jag and/or J&B Bore cleaning paste.
    Before going with a scouring pad (a little too abraisive in my opinion), start with J&B (go light on it), run a bronze brush through a few times, rinse the barrel with either Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber or choride-free brake cleaner (brake cleaner is cheaper, but more corrosive on your hands, use chem gloves).

Unravel a pad of 000 steel wool and wrap a little around one of your worn-out bore brushes, just enough to make the brush a little snug in the barrel.

Lube it with a little Bore Scrubber or Mineral Spirits then carefully scrubb the barrel. Don't reverse the brush direction inside the barrel, make sure you completely exit the barrel before reversing.

Run a couple dry patches through then repeat as necessary. I've cleaned some horribly-fouled barrels in this manner and have never experienced any damage.

If you know it's lead, an Outers Foul Out III will get it all out in about 30 minutes. This is one of the best purchases I've ever made for my shop.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

if you shoot cast lead bullets get yourself a lewis deleader. one of the best things made to get the lead out.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links