New toy SW M&P 9mm

This is a discussion on New toy SW M&P 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked up my new toy yesterday SW M&P 9mm with a Blackhawk Serpa holster and a MX-3 pistol light I haven't had a chance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toy SW M&P 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

New toy SW M&P 9mm

Just picked up my new toy yesterday

SW M&P 9mm with a Blackhawk Serpa holster and a MX-3 pistol light

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but took it down cleaned the crude out of the barrel and lubed it up. Been practicing dry firing with it, although you have to rack the slide about a 1/4" to re-cock it, which allows you to leave the snap-cap still in the chamber. I suspect I will be doing my trigger pull practice with the Sig though. The Serpa holster works quite nicely with it. However can anyone tell how to look dignified will removing a paddle holster?

One of the reasons I bought this gun was so my wife could have a gun she would enjoy shooting (thatís my story and I am sticking to it) she thinks the changeable grips are cool and likes both the weight and the look of the gun. She has agreed to get her licence this fall so I might end up having to fight for this gun from her!!

Hopefully will get a chance to shoot it this weekend. I noticed the trigger feels lighter than some of the earlier ones I tried when they first came out.

The gun was $779 with tax
    the holster was $59
    the light was on sale for $124

The JHP is your basic green box Remington, about the most common JHP to be found up here. Now $18.75 plus tax for a box of 50.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Congrats - you are really going to like the M&P.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Sweet, Congrats

Administrator
    A few interesting things that I saw today about the M&P.
    The slide and barrel are all precision CNC machined from Solid Bar Stock.
    Nice latest Equipment S&W is using.
    Tolerances held extremely tight.
    Each M&P is rapid fire test fired with two full mags for feed and function and then further shot for accuracy testing before it leaves the factory.
    I WANT THAT JOB!
    No skimping on the quality in building the barrel and slide.
    The steel rail inserts in the polymer frame are removable for replacement if they ever show wear or damage.
    Very impressive pistol on the manufacturing end.
    S&W has a winner with this one.
    Smith/Wesson really did a ton of Homework on the M&P...but, Sorry Smith & Wesson...I'm waiting for the .45acp model so Hurry Up with that one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Got one just like it and I love mine. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

Congrats!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    One of the reasons I bought this gun was so my wife could have a gun she would enjoy shooting (thatís my story and I am sticking to it)
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A few interesting things that I saw today about the M&P.
    The slide and barrel are all precision CNC machined from Solid Bar Stock.
    Nice latest Equipment S&W is using.
    Tolerances held extremely tight.
    Each M&P is rapid fire test fired with two full mags for feed and function and then further shot for accuracy testing before it leaves the factory.
    I WANT THAT JOB!
    No skimping on the quality in building the barrel and slide.
    The steel rail inserts in the polymer frame are removable for replacement if they ever show wear or damage.
    Very impressive pistol on the manufacturing end.

S&W has a winner with this one.
    Smith/Wesson really did a ton of Homework on the M&P...but, Sorry Smith & Wesson...I'm waiting for the .45acp model so Hurry Up with that one.
    Check out Budsgunshop for M&P.45s http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...cPath/21_39_71

Senior Moderator
    Keep an eye on your magazine release catch - some folks are having problems (now, unfortunately, including me) with the magazine releasing under recoil.

S&W has a new, melonite coated version of the catch that is supposed to fix this problem. They are sending me a couple in the mail, and they were great on the phone.

I'd strongly suggest pulling the catch out every couple of shooting sessions (it is designed to be easily user-removable and is reversible for lefties) and checking the edge to make sure it is not rounding out at all.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Oh, and other than that, I am highly satisfied with my M&P - I think it is one of the best poly frame pistols out there.

S&W will take care of you if you have a problem.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Just purchased one last night for the wife.She shot it "lights out" right out of the box.I am quite impressed with that pistol.I may even have to get me one as my "carry" and retire my Para LTC to the nightstand....

I got to admit taking a look in the inside the level of finish is quite nice.

Thanks for the heads up on the mag release, I am sending in the registration card so hopefully I will be on their e-mail list for any techinacal notices.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post

The gun was $779 with tax
    I just re read this part...I assume you paid in Canadian dollars......cause brother....here in the "deep south"....you can buy that piece for around $470.00 U.S. At least that is what I gave.Now, mind you I don't have the holster or light, But for the extra $300.00 I reckon I could have bought a box full of 'em......

Quote Originally Posted by sdr7871 View Post
    I just re read this part...I assume you paid in Canadian dollars......cause brother....here in the "deep south"....you can buy that piece for around $470.00 U.S. At least that is what I gave.Now, mind you I don't have the holster or light, But for the extra $300.00 I reckon I could have bought a box full of 'em......
    13% tax, plus it has to be imported, shipped, broker fees, exchange rates, paperwork, etc.

The only advantage we have up here in firearms is access to cheap Norinco's

You can actually get some firearms up there that aren't legal in California.

Yea there are some minor areas where we do better, such as modifying firearms as long a you don't shorten the barrel to much or the total lenght of the gun, they don't care waht you do.

Back to M&P's I just noticed that mine came with the internal lock and key, all of the other pistols up here don't have that feature. While it is nice not to have to use a trigger lock, I dislike this feature as their is no visable means of know if it is locked or not, also seems to require finer motor control than a typical trigge lock (required by law while transporting here) any thought on the pro's & con's of there internal locks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links