Problems w/cylinder binding

This is a discussion on Problems w/cylinder binding within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Taurus Tracker 44 mag w/2 " ported barrell. I have put about 100 rounds through it so far. The first time I ...

Thread: Problems w/cylinder binding

I have a Taurus Tracker 44 mag w/2 " ported barrell. I have put about 100 rounds through it so far.
    The first time I shot it I shot 80 rounds. After about 30 rounds the cylinder would bind up and did this about 3,4 times.
    Yesterday It was shot another 20 rounds and did it once after about 15 rounds.
    I've used 3 diff types of factory ammo, UMC, Eagle and Remington. The Eagle ammo was 240 grains and the other stuff was 180. The binding happened at least once w/all diff types of ammo.
    Anyone have any ideas? I dont want to send it in just yet as this is my only ccw for now..
    One of my friends said maybe the concussion was knocking the cylinder out of battery..not sure what the fix for that would be..
    thanks

I'm assuming you've cleaned/lubed it.
    If not, perhaps there is some powder buildup hindering rotation.
    Just a thought.

The space between the forcing cone and cylinder face is critical to reliable function of a revolver. My guess is that this is a QC issue. I'd send it back to Taurus for a little work...

Assistant Administrator
    Be interesting to know if same cyl area is binding each time it happens.

One common prob on wheelies is if the ejector rod becomes even slightly unscrewed ... Taurus use pretty much Smith design ... and tho not sure if yours will be RH thread or LH thread - it's something to check.

Similar effect can occur if unburned powder or some foreign particles get under the star. These mentioned items also mimick the effects of high primers.

Check cylinder rotation for truth - in case any deformation in crane alignment - that's why I ask if same chamber area gives the problem ... also eye up the cyl gap as you rotate - to see if it stays consistent on all six stations.

If problem not one or both of the first I mentioned - which you can put right then perhaps it might need returning for service.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks gents

If you have a feeler guage set, normal gap (IIRC) should be between .003 and .005. place a .002 in there and rotate the cyl through allstations and feel for binding.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Check under the star for unburned powder buildup. I had a taurus .22 magnum that would bind because the hammer was peening the area around the firing pin which caused it to protrude and drag across the primers and case heads. New gun with only 150 or so rounds through it. bye bye taurus

VIP Member
    You do not say if you shot lead or jacketed bullets. If you did shoot lead may be lead buildup in the cylinder. When you shoot lead bullets you often get leading where the bullet sits in the cylinder; then when you shoot more the unfired rnds set back then as the cylinder tries to rotate these shells do not slide back in the cylinder causing binding. All of the things mentioned could cause your problem.

Hmmmm I don't think this is the cause of your issue but when I first got my S&W M19 Combat Magnum I had a problem with the cylinder binding up so that I was unable to release it to reload. I sent it back to S&W and they found that a section of the cylinder crane that interfaces with the cylinder release was milled a little bit high in one area so that whenever I got to that spot and tried to release the cylinder to unload and reload it....stuck. A little bit of grinding and it was fine.

They also warned me of a very rare condition that can cause the same symptoms but is impossible to deal with at the user level. Sometimes an extruded primer can get jammed into the backplate. When that happens the only solution is for a gunsmith to completely take the gun apart in detail. I have seen that condition just once in about thirty years. It's not a "gun issue" but an "ammo" issue.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Did you clean the sand out? In my experience, every new taurus gets a handfull of sand thrown into the action before leaving the factory. I have no idea why they would do this, but it seems to be their standard operating proceedure.

Once cleaned up, they're normally pretty solid...
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

ANY high primers or primers backing out when fired ? That will bind up a cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    ANY high primers or primers backing out when fired ? That will bind up a cylinder.
    +1 That's exactly what I was thinking. Hot loads can cause excessive pressures, which in turn can unseat the primer.

This is a common problem in handloading defensive loads, you want them fast and hot, but sometimes they're too hot.

But, as you were saying, you tried different ammo.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

I'll look for this stuff next time I shoot in a few weeks, and wipe the gun down after the first or every 10-15 rounds. See if that helps.
    Thanks guys

Sponsored Links