Just a reminder to check your weapons....

This is a discussion on Just a reminder to check your weapons.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went out last night to play a little with my new toy (different subject matter entirely), and thought: "Why not put a few rounds out ...

Thread: Just a reminder to check your weapons....

Just a reminder to check your weapons....

Went out last night to play a little with my new toy (different subject matter entirely), and thought: "Why not put a few rounds out of my 1911?", so I did. No big deal, and no problems.

Woke up, got ready to leave for work, grabbed the gun and did a quick readiness check. Everything was fine, so I headed out the door.

I got to work and was talking to a friend of mine, when the subject of ambi safeties came up (we are both lefties). I went to empty my gun to show him something on my gun and noticed that the left thumb lever (the one on the right side) wouldn't operate. I check the right thumb lever and all was well. A closer look found a broken safety.

So now I am sitting here gun-less until I get home. Fortunately, I have another gun that I can slip into until I get a new safety for it.

This is just one reason why I firmly believe in having knowledge of more than one firearm, or have duplicates of the same gun. My fall back piece is not a 1911, but a very familiar weapon to me.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Great post and timely advise . For the record i am not a lefty , but have yet to see a port side safety for the 1911 that i consider " sound " . The design just does not lend its self to a left side thumb safety which is why AMT brought out the portsider many years ago .. it was a mirror image 1911 that worked well if you got a good one ( just like all amt products lol ) .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - the "Murphy check!". Even so it always of some concern that a glitch will wait until it really matters!

I agree about familiarity with other platforms - not only for carry choices but as a general benefit.

No matter how good the gun - or the ammo - there are enough variables potentially to spoil a day, but good routine checks are essential.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OD*
    Check-out the King's Gun Works ambidextrous safety, 201A. They do work as intended, they are not cheap though, but neither is your life (the 2112s use them on the MEU(SOC) pistols).

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page03.html
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    they are not cheap though, but neither is your life
    I like that... considered it stolen
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    A closer look found a broken safety.

So now I am sitting here gun-less until I get home. Fortunately, I have another gun that I can slip into until I get a new safety for it.
    Go with GLOCK

There aren't many parts that could break on my GLOCK pistol that I don't have a replacement part on-hand to replace. And even those I don't have on hand can be easily and quickly obtained.

But the gun is just so simple and reliable that it's very unlikely anything like that would break, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Check-out the King's Gun Works ambidextrous safety, 201A. They do work as intended, they are not cheap though, but neither is your life (the 2112s use them on the MEU(SOC) pistols).

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page03.html
    I have been checking around on the net and have seen their stuff. I may just have to give them a try. The one I had that broke after only a couple thousand rounds (give or take a hundred or so) was an STI. I know I won't be going that route again.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Go with GLOCK

There aren't many parts that could break on my GLOCK pistol that I don't have a replacement part on-hand to replace. And even those I don't have on hand can be easily and quickly obtained.

But the gun is just so simple and reliable that it's very unlikely anything like that would break, anyway!
    I appreciate the advise, but if I liked a Glock, I would have one. Absolutely nothing about a Glock attracts me to it. Glocks simply do not fit me in the least. Simply put, it is my opinion that Gaston should have stuck to making toasters.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I like that... considered it stolen
    You're welcome to it, Sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Pleez

I appreciate the advise, but if I liked a Glock, I would have one. Absolutely nothing about a Glock attracts me to it. Glocks simply do not fit me in the least. Simply put, it is my opinion that Gaston should have stuck to making toasters.[/QUOTE]

Please, a plastic toaster is just silly.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    ...but have yet to see a port side safety for the 1911 that i consider " sound " .
    Ya know.. when I first read this, I was thinking in nautical terms!! As in port/starboard. I was beginning to wonder how you considered the left side safety as unsound!

After a couple more gulps of coffee .. I understood

duh
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post
    Ya know.. when I first read this, I was thinking in nautical terms!! As in port/starboard. I was beginning to wonder how you considered the left side safety as unsound!

After a couple more gulps of coffee .. I understood

duh
    It wasn't until I read this post that I was able to figure out what he was talking about.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Links