I could not believe it!

This is a discussion on I could not believe it! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Local pawn shop has a Colt Magnum Carry for sale, allegedly unfired, new in box,etc. Remember this was a slightly beefed-up Detective special in .357 ...

Thread: I could not believe it!

I could not believe it!

Local pawn shop has a Colt Magnum Carry for sale, allegedly unfired, new in box,etc. Remember this was a slightly beefed-up Detective special in .357 magnum made in 1999 only.

Swallow your beverage and hold on... $1000.00 plus tax. Ignore the blue book and common sense, let the be your guide!!!!!!!

2. Remove Ads

A nice Gun to be sure, But only worth what someone will pay for it.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Administrator
    Pawn Shop....probably only loaned the person $75.00 for it too.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Many Colt revolvers are going out of sight price wise. I purchased a nickled Python in the early 90's for 400 bucks. They almost want that for the grips now. Unbelievable.

Jim

OD*
    The 3" Combat Pythons are bringing 5 and 6K.
    Last edited by OD*; August 9th, 2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: bad spellin'
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I like Colt products and own a few. Prices have gotten insane lately.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    The 3" Combat Pythons are bringing 5 and 6K.
    Wish I had known that a few years a go before I sold mine.....
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I don't plan to ever sell a gun once I've bought it unless I'm having trouble putting food in my belly.

And even then, I'd probably start tying hemp jewelry to sell to buy ramen noodles before I sold anything gun-related.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I don't plan to ever sell a gun once I've bought it unless I'm having trouble putting food in my belly.

And even then, I'd probably start tying hemp jewelry to sell to buy ramen noodles before I sold anything gun-related.
    You never know what life may drop in your lap. Personally I had some medical problems a few years ago and no insurance. I only worked 35 hrs per week and went to college part time.

So never say never my friend.

Material items no matter how nice they may be are replaceable, your life/health isn't!
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

I'm not surprised

I remember when these guns were on the market, very briefly about 1994 or so. I think they were priced about $400 at that time. Then Colt went through some crisis and discontinued them.

I am not very surprised that one might be priced at $1000 today. Not many were made and they are collector's items now. They are much rarer than Pythons. Here is a photo of one that I snagged on the web one time and saved:

OD*
    That is a beauty, Pogo.

IIRC, jhh3rd is right, the Magnum Carry's were made and discontinued in 1999.

October 5th, 1999

Dear Colt Distributor,

Rumors abound in this industry, particularly with regard to our plans concerning product supply. This letter will confirm those plans. Please excuse the impersonal salutation, but we have concentrated on getting this information to you as quickly as possible.

In developing our 2000 business plans and identifying strategic needs beyond 2000, we have had to face the harsh reality of the significant impact which our litigation defense costs are having on our ability to operate competitively in the marketplace.

Accordingly, we have made the decision to consolidate our product lines as follows:

A. Effective immediately, Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc. will accept no new orders for the following products:

1. Magnum Carry
    2. DS II 38 Special
    3. Python Elite - I's
    4. Anaconda - MM's
    5. 380s
    6. Pocket Nine
    7. 1991 Family

Please note: All standard model variations within the above products are also discontinued, effective immediately.

While these products are being discontinued, we will be reviewing orders in house and will advise each distributor as soon as possible if any of those orders for these products will be affected.

B. Colt's very pleased to advise you that we will continue to manufacture and actively promote the sale of a variety of important handguns which best support and represent the unique value of the Colt Brand. These include:

1. Single Action Army
    2. Cowboys
    3. Model O's (New XS, Defender, Custom)

Due to the continued escalation of our litigation costs, coupled with our strong desire to maintain a meaningful presence in the handgun segment of the business, the prices of these products will be increased by 6%, effective immediately. All orders currently on hand at Colt's will be honored at the current existing prices.

Our marketing objective is to streamline our handgun line into a smaller, but higher value collection of real Colt 'Classics', which best represent our brand, with much more emphasis on providing custom features and custom appearance for serious gun enthusiasts and shooters and collectors, and those interested in owning a real Colt product of some special value.

Meanwhile we will continue to provide Match Target rifles and are in the final stages of implementing the launch of our new Colt Light Rifle.

We are committed to taking a 'Classic' rather than the 'me too' approach to the future development of our product lines and plan to focus more on what we have been best known for and best for the past 164 years!

We appreciate your patience, understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions, please direct them to your regional Colt Sales Manager, Dave Ridley, or Dave Horn.

Sincerely,
    Thomas H. Kilby
    Vice President Marketing & Sales Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links