Learned a new shooting tip

This is a discussion on Learned a new shooting tip within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a Sigma 9ve and couldn't hit the paper with it. Four of my friends tried it same thing no one could hit the ...

Thread: Learned a new shooting tip

Talking Learned a new shooting tip

I bought a Sigma 9ve and couldn't hit the paper with it. Four of my friends tried it same thing no one could hit the paper. So I benched rested with bad results. Every shot was real high.

Now I was starting to think it was the pistol and going to put it in the safe and forget about but I took it out one more time yesterday. Now I shoot weekly and have been carrying over 30 years, I also have a safe full of pistols and I have never had this happen with a pistol before. I can actually hit the paper up to 75 feet as good as the next guy.

So I get to the range and the head ranger walks by and I tell the story and he tells me, turn the target around and just shoot the blank side.

WOW 10 shoots in the center of the target and I'm stunned. So I asked him why. He said your concentrating so hard on the sights that the extra long trigger pull on the Sigma will make you twist your hand when you start anticipating the shoot.

Who said you can't teach and old dog new tricks.

2. Remove Ads

yci
    Interesting tip. Thanks for passing it along, definitely one to keep in mind.

I've seen a similar type of thing used in safety classes (and I've even used it myself with friends) to help new shooters get used to shooting. It lets them not worry about how good or bad their accuracy is in respect to their hits on target, but lets them get used to the gun. Sounds like for similar reasons as the ranger gave.

VIP Member
    Milk jugs are good for that purpose, too. They're a good size, solid white or yellow, cheap, and extra fun if filled with water. I've noticed that many new shooters I've taken out seem to do better on three dimensional targets.

There seems to be a different mentality between target shooting ("I must hit the bullseye in the center perfectly") and combat shooting ("I must stop the offending paper target before it knifes me."). Unless I'm shooting my Ruger Mark II, I'm mostly combat shooting. It seems the longer I concentrate on the bullseye to make the perfect shot to try to outdo my brother's raggedy hole in the center of his target, the more likely I am to not do as well as compared to if I just "cut the crap and shoot."

[yoda_voice]"Don't think, just do."[/yoda_voice] - Horace
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I can't shoot paper, either.

Put a golf ball out to 75 yards, and I'll bounce it with a 10mm or a .44 Rem Mag. I chase beer cans with my Ruger 22/45 until there is nothing left but shredded aluminum.

Put up a silhuette target and I'll hit center mass. I can clang metallic silhuette targets until I run out of ammo. Prairie dogs move to Idaho on the next train.

Then hang a simple bullseye target. The safest place you can stand is right behind it.

Interesting.
    Generally I start first time shooters on a blank sheet...

Guess it never hurts going back to the basics.

Wink Live on SPINACH huh?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    I can't shoot paper, either.

Put a golf ball out to 75 yards, and I'll bounce it with a 10mm or a .44 Rem Mag. I chase beer cans with my Ruger 22/45 until there is nothing left but shredded aluminum.

Put up a silhuette target and I'll hit center mass. I can clang metallic silhuette targets until I run out of ammo. Prairie dogs move to Idaho on the next train.

Then hang a simple bullseye target. The safest place you can stand is right behind it.
    My word, I can't even see a golf ball at 75 yds. How do you handle the "hold over" with those rounds which typically require MORTAR type elevation angles.....

"Then hang a simple bullseye target. The safest place you can stand is right behind it." Oh wait...I think I see your somewhat obtuse point. LOL Okay, I get it...
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    My word, I can't even see a golf ball at 75 yds. How do you handle the "hold over" with those rounds which typically require MORTAR type elevation angles.....
    Mortar elevation kicks in at the 200m quarter-sized steel buffalo. It's doable with a Makarov or a J-frame snubbie with practice, not that I recommend ever doing it for real.

Past 50 with any handgun caliber I own I typically start aiming using the base of the front sight as a holdover. On my Sigs, anything out to 100m that's covered by the front sight dot is generally going to be in trouble that's larger than a clay pidgeon.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    My word, I can't even see a golf ball at 75 yds
    Until I was in my late 40's I had perfect vision. Then I needed more light to read with comfort.

When I had my eyes checked I found, like most boomers, that I had presbyopia. Your eyes are still good, in fact, sharper at some distances than most people. The 'reading distance' is just foggy. Simple reading glasses fix the problem.

My varmint rifles wear 3.5x10 scopes. I can pretty much see the little guys out past 300 yards. My problem is parabolic drop.

With a flat shooting calibre like the 10mm Auto, 75 yards is a pretty flat shot. I can see it, and if my asthma medicine isn't making my hand tremble, I can make the shot easily.

In fact, on one of those perfect days, I routinely hit a little box the size of playing cards--with called shots--at 150 yards with a Ruger 22/45.

I knew the distance because I had shot in that gravel pit before. I have put over 4,500 rounds through the Ruger. My eyes work great at that distance.

The only problem was a steady hold, and on that day, my hands were calm.

Links