Bullet-proof School Backpacks?

This is a discussion on Bullet-proof School Backpacks? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone catch this one yet? I didn't see it posted yet. It looks like these guys added bulletproofing material to backpacks (ie for school kids). ...

Thread: Bullet-proof School Backpacks?

Bullet-proof School Backpacks?

Anyone catch this one yet? I didn't see it posted yet.

It looks like these guys added bulletproofing material to backpacks (ie for school kids).
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...78/detail.html

Fathers Create Bulletproof Backpacks
    Parents Take Defensive Action

POSTED: 5:59 pm EDT August 9, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:24 pm EDT August 9, 2007

BOSTON -- It's time for parents to make the annual trek to get back to school items, which usually includes jeans, jerseys and a few notebooks.

NewsCenter 5's Pam Cross reported Thursday that a couple of North Shore men want parents to consider something else -- a bulletproof backpack.

"They have them with them on the floor, on their laps, on the bus. They always have a backpack," said Joe Curran, of My Child's Pack.

It started with the Columbine shooting in 1999. Curran and Mike Pelonzi said that they watched and worried for their own children. They had the idea to hide bulletproof material inside a backpack. They call it defensive action.

"If the kid has a backpack next to them, or under the desk, they can pick it up, the straps act as a handle and it becomes a shield," Curran said.

It's much lighter than a 15-pound police vest. After three years of experimenting, the backpacks that were tested by an outside lab ranked threat level two. It stops an assortment of bullets, including 9-millimeter hollow point bullets. The fathers researched school shootings from 1900 to this year.

They will sell for $175, but do the special book bags play upon paranoia when most schools are called safe?

"I want to keep my kid safe. I don't care what you do -- if you want to fight the good fight or fix the world's hurts, I can't help you, but my kids are going to be safe because of these backpacks," Curran said.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Wow...it stops death-dealing hollowpoints, eh?

Gee...now they've equipped future menaces to society with Level II body armor

Administrator
    What a waste of money. Have you ever shot a text book? They are as good as kevlar at stopping bullets.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Interesting concept, but my understanding is that most schools now require the clear vinyl backpacks/bookbags.

Most schools around here do not allow the students to carry their backpack with them during school hours. You take it to your locker and lock it up until it is time to go home. Plus I have to agree. If you are carrying books in there, that would be enough to stop a .45 cal.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What a waste of money. Have you ever shot a text book? They are as good as kevlar at stopping bullets.
    Agreed.

One Harcourt-Brace biology or history book alone is thick enough to stop a pistol round.
    The concept is good but the implementation as applied is for monied $uckers.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

great... so now all the next crazed gunman has to do is buy a couple of these and he's got basic body armor protection without adding much weight and without raising suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Wow...it stops death-dealing hollowpoints, eh?

Gee...now they've equipped future menaces to society with Level II body armor
    Yes, but they will be easy to spot.

Either wearing a backpack on their chest or holding a weapon in one hand and a mirror in the other so they can see to shoot behind them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    Most schools around here do not allow the students to carry their backpack with them during school hours. You take it to your locker and lock it up until it is time to go home. Plus I have to agree. If you are carrying books in there, that would be enough to stop a .45 cal.
    Ain't that the truth, and would a kid use it on a bus for anything other than a foot rest ?

They are betting on making parents feel guilty. I know I would do anything to protect my children. If they make people think or feel that this product will protect their children, people will buy it.

The smart parent will see through this.

I would more likely buy one for myself then a child, at that price it is a waste of money to buy one for a child who may decide they don't like it and trade it off or give it away.

The backpack is bulletproof - but only level II, so any smart nutjob shooter is going to bring a rifle now. So much for your kid's bulletproof backpack, stupid parents. What good does a bulletproof backpack do when you sit in your chair and wait to get shot in the head?

If a psycho killer (etc..) wanted to use the backpack for body armor, all he'd have to do is cut it open, take out the ballistic panel, and use it for whatever. You could easily wrap yourself up with ballistic panels and duct tape - look at the L.A. bank robbery.

Austin

People, remember not only is this Massachusetts, but Boston Massachusetts. Nothing about firearms makes sense up here :(

BAC
    ...So the bullets just smack 'em real good but don't penetrate. Kids are thick-headed, but not immune to blunt trauma.

That said, let the crazy punk buy a few. If all goes well, he'll be shot a few times and learn what a real hurtin' is.

-B

Box O Truth

Books on the Box O Truth.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot31.htm

Links