Looking for a new revolver...

This is a discussion on Looking for a new revolver... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to get my fiancé a gun to have around the house when I'm not home. She has a hard time using the pistols ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new revolver...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Looking for a new revolver...

I want to get my fiancé a gun to have around the house when I'm not home. She has a hard time using the pistols and has a difficult time using the pump 12 gauge. I have a single shot she could use, but if she misses or there is more then one assailant she is in a world of hurt. The only revolver I have is an S&W 629 classic .44

It weighs quite a bit and she is tiny and has a hard time handling it. Any ideas on a small powerful revolver I could get her? I really like the S&W .38 special. We saw it at the store and she liked it. Any other ideas on a good powerful revolver for a small woman to defend herself with?

2. Remove Ads

Sure. She might like the Ruger sp101. The weight of it might make it a pretty comfortable gun for a gal to shoot 38sps.

Bought my 'boss' a S & W 367 and put a CT sight on it...she likes it for around the house...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    We have a Taurus 605 that has 38+P's in it for my wife.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

the j-frame wheel guns are the best. you can get a used s&w model 36 and/or 60 real cheap. yes s&w has other models in the j-frame style, but it is hard to beat a used model 60/36. you could also look at the other makers of small wheel guns, i.e... charter arms, taurus. they both made a small j-frame type guns for a smaller price. find someone that has one and let her shoot it to see if she likes it. that's the best way to know if she will like it and use it. taurus also has some of their j-frame type guns in the .17 HMR round. easy to shoot, but a hot round.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

1943 - 2009
    Just throwing out another possible option to be considered here.

You might look at a S&W K frame, .38 Special, 4 inch.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Couple of thoughts--
    In a SD situation trigger pull is not generally a problem but it might be for practice. The 8- 10 pound pull of a smith might discourage her. Spousette preferrs my (well, now she lets me borrow it) 629 over the 642 and 44 spl 696 and even the Kel Tec P3AT. The 629 is her bedroom handgun but I get to use it in AK.

Think you can pick up SW Model 10s fairly cheap ... 38 with 4 in barrel ... never owned one but they are smooth shooters.

Think the 642 is tough to beat for a 38 snub.

Kel Tec P32 ?
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

.44 Specials in the 629 should do fine for her...unless you really want a new gun. Either way, the trigger pull is going to be there on a DA revolver.

Austin

I have a Ruger GP141. Its a 357 with a 4 inch. The grips are big enough that small hands can get a good hold on it while not being to big. Its a little heavier than the snubs and 2 inch but when she goes to the range she will appreciate the extra weight that mitigates recoil.

My wife keeps mine near her side of the bed. When we go to the range I make her shoot 6 357 rounds then she can switch to 38. At home I load the 357 that way if she misses the BG will more likely be cleaning his pants on his way out.

Works well for us and for simple wheel guns, they don't come better made than the Ruger
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I would advise you to not go the J-Frame route.
    J-Frames are great guns, but in truth are an "Expert's" weapon. They are harder to shoot than the "Duty" size weapon. +1 on the Model 10. It was what Cops carried for years all across the United States, until the switch to the autoloader en masse by agencies.
    Since it is a "House Gun" size isn't much of a factor. I'd get either a 4" or 6" barrel. 4"er's are more common. You could even get a .357 magnum and load it with 38 Specials for her. I wouldn't have her shoot 38's and then load it with .357's unless she fires some off first and can handle it. Also, please remember that the smaller and lighter the gun the more recoil you will have.
    Some models you could look for and and probably find in the Used Gun Case are:
    Model 10
    Model 13
    Model 15
    Model 19
    Model 64
    Model 65
    Model 66

My "pick" would be the 13 and the 65, same gun just different finishes. My second choice would be the 19 and 66 combo. Again, same gun just different finishes. The difference between the 13/65 and 19/66 is two are fixed sights and two are adjustable sights.
    These are all "K" Frame guns and stocks can be purchased to accomodate a wide variety of hand sizes.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I would advise you to not go the J-Frame route.
    J-Frames are great guns, but in truth are an "Expert's" weapon. They :
    Yes.. I'd imagine a small female shooter might appreciate something with a little more heft to absorb some of that recoil.

I bought mine (wife) a Taurus .357 yesterday, model 605.
    While at it I got another Colt 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
    I bought mine (wife) a Taurus .357 yesterday, model 605.
    While at it I got another Colt 1911.
    Hmmm. Taurus for wife, Colt for hubby.

I would 2nd the motion to look at a 4 inch K-frame S&W. I have a 66-7 in 357mag. But shooting 38's out of it is very easy on the hands. My g/f loves shooting this and it is very accurate as well. CT also makes the laser grip for them as well if you want that.

Best bet is to go to a range and have your g/f hold and rent what they have.

My wife is very fond of her Ruger SP101 3" loaded with .38 Spl. It's small enough to feel comfortable in her hand but heavy enough to absorb recoil, especially with a Hogue Monogrip installed. Crimson Trace is supposed to have a new laser-intergrated "soft" grip available soon. That should complete the package.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links