Rifle Fun!

This is a discussion on Rifle Fun! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Brownwood, Texas area suffered an invasion of water filled milk jugs on Thursday evening this past week. Of course this intrusion couldn't be allowed ...

Thread: Rifle Fun!

Rifle Fun!

The Brownwood, Texas area suffered an invasion of water filled milk jugs on Thursday evening this past week. Of course this intrusion couldn't be allowed to stand so we rushed to the attack. A friend of brother-in-law Bo had saved up 124 jugs and brought them out pre-filled for some fun rifle action.

The three of us jumped into the fray with an interesting array of rifles. Chris, the jug provider brought along an intriguing Remington Model 788 in 6mm Remington with expensive Nikon glass and also a bolt action scoped .22 Hornet, the brand of which I failed to note. Bo had his CAR 15 .223 and his Ruger 77 .22 Hornet (it may have been his Ruger .223 bolt gun). I unlimbered my M1. We didn't have time for much preliminary examination of weaponry because of the circumstances of the jug invasion (we set them up late in the afternoon after work then went in to eat supper that my sister Johnna had prepared-baked ham, fresh green beans with new potatoes, Pecos cantaloupe, vine ripe tomatoes with a dazzling cherry cream pie dessert).

The water jugs in position. We liked to have worn ourselves out in the heat and humidity setting them up on the steep hill side. It required us to retreat to the house for the grub before we had the strength to commence our assualt.

Chris provided an evaluation of the distance with his range finder. The wooden pallet standing up just in front of the hill of jugs measured 155 yards. That meant that the jugs on the higest point of the hill were about 180 yards. Both 1/2 gallon and gallon jugs were provided. The 1/2 gallon jugs presented quite a challenging opportunity. Very sporting but "hittable".

Brother-in-law Bo readies his rifle.

A good ol' friend of mine.

Our position on the opposing hill side.

Happier than a couple of hogs in slop! Rifle shooting has a way of plastering silly grins on faces.

We really tried to take no prisoners but darkness closed in before all jugs could be taken out. I filled the magazine of the M1 one last time, the jugs very dim in the rear aperture. I think all I did was plow up the hill side for Bo. He claimed that one ulterior motive of his was to provide for a unique way for irrigation. Chris was suppose to come out on Friday evening to finish the job as he'd done all the work filling the jugs. Bo and I were to be absent for that round.

Thanks to Chris Hazzlewood for providing the jugs, taking photos, and letting us see his interesting Remington 788. A very good rifle.

Thanks to Bo for providing the .30-06 ammo for me to shoot. Late in the shooting I said, "I'll just shoot up these last three clips and quit so I won't use up all your ammo. He replied "there's four more cans available." So I shot up many more clips full of good 150 grain bullet/IMR 4895. The M1 ate it like candy, the sights requiring no adjustment from shooting matches. I can do .30-06 though and intend to bring enough next weekend to pay him back.
    Last edited by P95Carry; August 11th, 2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Addition of photos by OP (and pic spacing by P95)

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like fun! I'm glad you got a good meal out of the bargain too - a rifle shooter needs sustenance you know.

Austin

Assistant Administrator
    Looks like a great time - and that M1 of yours looks real minty - very nice.

I have always derived great pleasure from water-jug neutralization ....... all the more so when sending JHP's downrange

I will split your pics up a bit to separate - should look even better!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks P95Carry! I didi crowd them a bit.

Thanks for your kind comments. The M1 is a DCM (now CMP) gun from 1985. $108.75 was the purchase price as I recall. It shot 5-shot groups crowding an inch from the bench at 100 yards and gauged 2 so I took it to high-power matches, retiring my '03A3. 20 years and many matches later it'll still shoot 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch groups from the bench if I'm in the proper frame of mind. The stock isn't finished in a high gloss as it appears in the photo. It's just been handled a lot through the years.

It came to me as abasic WWII rebuild with the late rear sight. Serial number and barrel from June 1944 and mixed revision WWII trigger group. SAW inspected stock.

I had Col. Snodgrass in Fort Worth, Texas work the trigger into a pleasing match trigger and shot it for some years. One day while shooting prone at a match in Waco it "urped" and fired three with one trigger pull. One round struck the target, one round struck the top of the paper and one round went through the metal position marker. To this day the Central Texas Rifle and Pistol clubs No. 12 position marker sports a .30 hole through it. I got ahold of a bunch of WWII trigger parts and tried several combinations until I got one that actually felt as good as the match tuned trigger. This was the only failure the rifle's ever had. It's never failed to feed and fire in 12,000 to 15,000 rounds.

Love those M1's (and M1A's)!

.30 caliber forever!

Assistant Administrator
    The M1 is a DCM (now CMP) gun from 1985. $108.75 was the purchase price as I recall.
    Oh my - bit different now methinks!!! Thx for the historic info on it - it has obviously served you very well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Looks like a fun time!
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

124.. most I've ever set up would be 20.. lol

Looks like everyone had a lot of fun.

Sweet! Looks like great time with friends and firearms! Nothing better than that!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Links