Colt Defender - Page 2

Colt Defender

This is a discussion on Colt Defender within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Received the Defender back on Friday (Colt sent to gun shop accidentally instead of home). The replaced the entire slide assembly to correct the multiple ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Defender

Got it back!

Received the Defender back on Friday (Colt sent to gun shop accidentally instead of home). The replaced the entire slide assembly to correct the multiple problems.

I will range test it this week (200 rounds) to see how it works. I'm hoping that I will have no issues.

Colt handled this return much faster than the first and it appears that all is well. I will report back after the range and ammo tests.

Thanks for all the comments. Hopefully this thread will be closed after the testing.

OD*
    It's a GI series 80, MarkIV.
    What is a GI Series 80, Mark IV?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Kathy in customer service at Colt bent over backwards to take good care of me.
    Unfortunately, Kathy Johnson and Mark Roberts are no longer with Colt.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    I look forward to seeing how your gun came out.

VIP Member
    Thanks for keeping us updated. I had previoulsy posted that I have a new Defender, though it hasn't demonstrated any problems so far. So I'm interested in knowing Colt's results in clearing up your problems. It looks like it's working out for you, hopefully your range test will be okay.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

whats a....

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    What is a GI Series 80, Mark IV?
    MKIV Series 80 Government Issue

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    MKIV Series 80 Government Issue
    OK thanks, you mean Government Model.
    Series 80s weren't issued.

OK thanks, you mean Government Model.
    Series 80s weren't issued.
    Yes I mean Government model. Pardon my slang, I have some 19911A's that were GI and with my armory filling up I even have some nicknames. The MKIV Government Model Series 80 is called Elaine.

Going to the range now will report back. Thanks to all for the support. If it doesn't function I will be driving to CT to deliver the Defender back to the manufacturer personally!

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    I had problems with my Defender "FTE" and "FTF" no matter what mag I bought until it go some Wilson Combat mags. Since then it's my carry gun with not problems.
    ďDream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.Ē James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Tell customer service that you are a member of DefensiveCarry.com and there are about 14,000 members waiting to find out how they handle your particular problem with your firearm.

Give it another try.
    Tell them that you would like a technical person or someone from the custom shop to CALL YOU before they ship your firearm back to you (for what will be the second time now) and then have that person visually inspect your firearm and check to make sure that it has been test fired and checked for functional reliability.
    Great point...hadn't thought of this 'print power'...could be useful for other venues also...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OD*
    Or you could just call the head of the repair department,
    Paul Zamsky, 1-962-2658 ex: 1571.

Thanks for that information. I will call him today. The last time I called a department head they delegated it to a CSR!

They replaced the entire slide assembly and sent me a spare spring set. However, they sent my defective mags back with the weapon when they were marked for replacement. They tried but this weapon is a picky SOB.
    The Range test was not good. 200 rounds, jamming every 5 or 6 rounds going up the feed ramp using the OEM mags from Colt. That was the first 100. I used a Wilson Combat mag on rounds 100 through 200 experiencing only 5 feed ramp jams stalling the slide from fully locking forward by only 1/4". I tap it with my thumb and it slams forward.
    Out of the 4 SA Colts I have the only one's that operate reliably with all stock Colt parts are my WWII era 1911A GI's. Even my latest purchase had the same issue, all mag related I believe now after putting over 1000 rounds through the Defender and 500+ through the newest MK IV Series 80. Wilson Combat mags fix the issues but why should I have to PAY to get a new weapon functioning properly? The Wilson mags are $30+ a piece. I like the Colt logo on the bottom of the mag but Wilson has taken it's place.
    I will call the guy listed and see if he can't replace the entire weapon, mags and all. They were very quick on the second time around getting it back to me and plenty of contact but this is simply a lemon. I will continue to buy Colt products but only when they replace this Defender with a new one. No more repairs.

Appears I have to keep this one open to post the final, final, FINAL results from Colt MFG.

Thank you, Thank you

Mr Zamsky is sending out new Colt mags to see if this corrects the issues. If they work then great, if they don't then back to Colt for it's third trip!

Thanks OD.

OD*
    You're welcome sir.

I take any of those ol junk Colt mags you don't want.

junk mags?

Heh, thanks I have a depot for storage of my junk mags! I offered to send them back to Colt so they could test them but they said toss em.

Still have not received the mags and the mail/carriers have already hit my area.............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links