Defensive Carry banner

Colt Defender

7K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
Anyone else have major issues with a Defender? Mine has been to Colt two days after purchase for stove piping and it came back with new symptoms.
Second question anyone want to buy a barely broken in Defender? I think it's going to be replaced with a Kimber!

Had to replace OEM mags with Wilson Combats to allow slide to lock after last fired round, had to polish feedramp, adjust extractor and replace slide recoil springs. In fact the springs that Colt shipped me were longer (two inches on large spring one inch on small, c-clipped inner spring).

My biggest concern is that of the frame rail itself. The left rear frame protrudes about 1/8" beyond the slide when in firing position. The right side of frame is flush with the rear of the slide! It came back from Colt this way. Bought it in March, have been told to shoot through thr problems, grind it down!:yup:and others say they have had no problems.

It is new and under warranty but why continue to send it to a failing manufacturer? They are now an LLC and have seen significant losses over many years.

Suggestions, comments? I own two other Colt 1911's, this one is a real issue.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
How about 500 rounds.....

500 shot through already. I don't believe that a handgun has a breaking in period. If there is one it certainly shouldn't have these types of malfunctions.

I am probably going to just box it up and ship it back to Colt for refund or replacement. I never get many replies on this issue.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Call Colt customer service and ask them either for a replacement firearm or demand that it be properly fit with a new slide and barrel if necessary.

Tell them that you want it "function checked" and test fired before it returned to you.

If you are not getting any satisfaction from the person that you are speaking to then ask to speak with their supervisor. Write down the name/names of the person/people that you talk to and the date and the time of the call.

Tell customer service that you are a member of DefensiveCarry.com and there are about 14,000 members waiting to find out how they handle your particular problem with your firearm.

If your firearm has been back to them once already - and you got it back and it still has function and cosmetic problems - then you have a right to have a properly fit and functioning pistol at no further expense to you.

To be fair to Colt Firearms - that is actually VERY UNUSUAL for Colt to have not properly repaired any firearm before shipping it back to a customer - after it has been sent in for repair. I would say that is a fluke rather than the norm for Colt.

When you ship your firearm back to them include a letter stating exactly what you want taken care of cosmetically also.
If the slide is not properly fit and finished to the frame then you are entitled to have that taken care of.

You will get satisfaction from Colt.
Give it another try.
Tell them that you would like a technical person or someone from the custom shop to CALL YOU before they ship your firearm back to you (for what will be the second time now) and then have that person visually inspect your firearm and check to make sure that it has been test fired and checked for functional reliability.

If you do not get your firearm back from Colt in an acceptable functioning condition this next time around - then send me a private mail but, make sure you have the name of the person that you talked to and the date and the time that you called.

#25 ·
Tell customer service that you are a member of DefensiveCarry.com and there are about 14,000 members waiting to find out how they handle your particular problem with your firearm.

Give it another try.
Tell them that you would like a technical person or someone from the custom shop to CALL YOU before they ship your firearm back to you (for what will be the second time now) and then have that person visually inspect your firearm and check to make sure that it has been test fired and checked for functional reliability.
Great point:yup:...hadn't thought of this 'print power'...could be useful for other venues also...:hand10:

#5 ·
I agree with everything QKShooter had to say.:yup:
No excuse for this. Colt should make it right. Good Luck.

#6 ·
Thanks QK

It sounds as if you may have some 'affiliations' in your post. I appreciate your comments and plan to do exactly what you posted this coming week.

I should have been more respectful of Colt in my post. However, the first time I sent it in I did list everything and placed it inside the barrel as well as on a packing slip. They returned it over 60 days later to my local shop with three out of 10 items I had listed. Even the rear Novak site set screw was loose upon return which was one of my items on the list.

As I mentioned I own two other 1911A's. Both of my Grandfather's side arms during WWII. I shoot one often and have never once had an issue that a good cleaning didn't remedy.

I will bust some chops on Monday and get it overnighted once I can get an RA.

My questions to you are;

Do you have a name contact I can speak to?

In regards to your comments and possible affiliations does defensivecarry.com carry some weight?

I hate to give up a good handgun, especially one of Samuel Colt's legacy.

#7 ·
My Colt experience

I'm sorry to hear about your Colt Defender problems and hope they are resolved to your satisfaction.

I wanted to comment on my Colt and Defender experiences. I currently own 8 Colts, of which 6 are 1911 design and 2 are revolvers. I have about 20 years' experience with Colts, and my most recent Colt purchase was a Defender bought about a year ago.

I have never had to send a gun back to Colt, so I can't comment on their customer service. My Colt problems have been pretty minor, and I always used a local gunsmith to handle them. I believe the Colt brand in general is excellent, and that problems with their guns are fewer than with some other brands.

I did have a few minor problems with my Defender, which I bought slightly used. The plunger tube was a little loose, and I had the gunsmith restake it. Also, the slide stop would sometimes hold the slide back when there were still rounds in the magazine. This was solved by using a Wilson aftermarket slide stop and having the gunsmith drill a small indent in the slide stop where the plunger engages it. Thus far I have 650 rounds through the Defender with no failures to feed or eject, and the gun now runs very well. I think Colt Defenders may be the best of the 3 inch 1911s, from what I have seen.

#8 ·
I just recently bought a new Defender and posted something under "Concealed Carry Guns"......I think it was titled "First time experience with new Colt Defender"

Admittedly I've only fired it <100 times, it did just fine other than one empty hitting me between the eyes.

All in all, I think any brand of short-barrelled 1911 can be a little finicky at times.

I think you've gotten good previous advice here, I don't have anything beneficial to add other than "good luck", and stay after Colt until you get some satisfaction.

#9 ·
It's my experience that ALL 1911 designs shorter than a 4" barrel are inherently less dependable than Commander+ lengths. I've tried Kimber Ultra Carry, Springfield Mirco Compacts & Colt Defenders. Anything that relies on the dual-captured (Seecamp style) recoil spring set-up is, to me, a gamble. Yeah, I know, I know...the "never had a hiccup" crowd is gonna' grouse. I just know MY experience in making SEVERAL attempts. I don't mind an Officer's length frame, I just want a Commander length slide. Good Luck.

#10 ·
Sounds like you got a lemon, ask for your money back.

My own Defender I've had 3+ yrs. now and bought lightly used has run like a top both in my hand that of the previous owner. He sold it due to arthritic wrists and hands not being able to comfortably deal with the recoil. Only mods to mine are new grips, a solid trigger, a Wilson beavertail safety (dropped right in), and an SA ILS (Integrated Locking System).
I pull the trigger, it goes bang, I pull the trigger again, repeat...

I'd ask for my money back and tell them to keep that specific unit.

- Janq

#11 ·
Finally got the time!

I wanted to keep this thread open to see it through.

I called Colt today and left a message for the person in charge of all repairs/customer service (Mark Roberts) today. He had a lady named Carol call back that I have spoken to on several occasions regarding the same handgun. They are overnighting me a FedEx Label to send the Defender and it's mags back. I asked for it to be replaced since they already had it for two months the last time but no dice.

I will let you know how it comes out.

One note, I have 5 compact carry weapons, and realize they require a strong wrist but I don't think that you should have to mod ANY handgun that's over $800 out of the box to make it work. There may be some simple things such as burs or lubrication/cleaning that needs to be done but being told to 'shoot through the problem' or mod the weapon to me is ludicrous. I think I got a lemon as well, hopefully Colt will live up to their rep and handle it for me in a timely manner.

Thanks for the assistance and I will post here until it comes back and I fire 500 more rounds (an afternoon) through it satisfactorily. I wonder if they can improve my 25 yard shot with it while its there??:image035:

#12 ·
I bought my first Colt Defender new in Jan. '04. It was a lemon straight out of the box. Would not cycle anything but alum. cased ammo. Go figure! Colt had it back 3 times. The third time I got directly involved, instead of the store that I bought it from. Colt sent me a brand new gun. That one has worked like a charm right out of the box.

Keep on Colt. You're doing the right thing at this point in insisting they send you a different gun.

Kathy in customer service at Colt bent over backwards to take good care of me.

#13 ·
Agreed...no mods at all should be required.
In my own case the mods are purely toward individual operator comfort (grips) and convenience.

Again send it back and request your money back or a completely new exchange.
Sorry to hear of your debacle as I love my Defender, it's been great.

- Janq

#14 ·
We'll have that return label to you by 8/16.....

I have to go with what was suggested to me earlier in the post by QKShooter. I'll give Colt another shot at the weapon, one last shot.

The prepaid return label was due to arrive today. I did not receive it.

So far, not pleased. Hopefully someone at Colt is a member or reader.

I guess this is a good excuse to go and buy yet another HG to add to the collection. It will leave a 2 month void in the cabinet, wife can't notice an empty......can she? :image035:

#15 ·
Received the label via USPS 12 days to go 500 miles...

I shipped the Defender off to Colt on Friday, 8/24 after waiting for their FedEx label to arrive. Then I went to a gun shop (same day) and bought another Colt! Am I crazy?

I've included my latest addition as my avatar pic. It's a GI series 80, MarkIV. I replaced the rosewood with the black rubber grips and stuck it in my IWB holster, that extra 2 inches hurts when you sit down!

Colt signed and received for my Defender this morning. I suppose it will be at least 2 months before I see anything. I called when I shipped it and asked for a replacement noting that I didn't feel safe firing this weapon or using it for protection. It would either go back to the gun shop and be re-sold to someone else who will send it in or they can give me a new one. They said let us take one more whack at it. I said no thanks, they said that's the policy, I said no thanks, they said basically too bad.:blink:

Hoping that they do what is right, I own 5 of Colt's weapons now but I am not beyond shipping them all back to make a statement!

Here's waiting on my Defender. I'll keep all posted. :mad:

#16 ·
Got it back!

Received the Defender back on Friday (Colt sent to gun shop accidentally instead of home). The replaced the entire slide assembly to correct the multiple problems.

I will range test it this week (200 rounds) to see how it works. I'm hoping that I will have no issues.

Colt handled this return much faster than the first and it appears that all is well. I will report back after the range and ammo tests.

Thanks for all the comments. Hopefully this thread will be closed after the testing.

:congrats:

#20 ·
Thanks for keeping us updated. I had previoulsy posted that I have a new Defender, though it hasn't demonstrated any problems so far. So I'm interested in knowing Colt's results in clearing up your problems. It looks like it's working out for you, hopefully your range test will be okay.

#24 ·
I had problems with my Defender "FTE" and "FTF" no matter what mag I bought until it go some Wilson Combat mags. Since then it's my carry gun with not problems.

#27 ·
Thanks for that information. I will call him today. The last time I called a department head they delegated it to a CSR!

They replaced the entire slide assembly and sent me a spare spring set. However, they sent my defective mags back with the weapon when they were marked for replacement. They tried but this weapon is a picky SOB.
The Range test was not good. 200 rounds, jamming every 5 or 6 rounds going up the feed ramp using the OEM mags from Colt. That was the first 100. I used a Wilson Combat mag on rounds 100 through 200 experiencing only 5 feed ramp jams stalling the slide from fully locking forward by only 1/4". I tap it with my thumb and it slams forward.
Out of the 4 SA Colts I have the only one's that operate reliably with all stock Colt parts are my WWII era 1911A GI's. Even my latest purchase had the same issue, all mag related I believe now after putting over 1000 rounds through the Defender and 500+ through the newest MK IV Series 80. Wilson Combat mags fix the issues but why should I have to PAY to get a new weapon functioning properly? The Wilson mags are $30+ a piece. I like the Colt logo on the bottom of the mag but Wilson has taken it's place.
I will call the guy listed and see if he can't replace the entire weapon, mags and all. They were very quick on the second time around getting it back to me and plenty of contact but this is simply a lemon. I will continue to buy Colt products but only when they replace this Defender with a new one. No more repairs.

Appears I have to keep this one open to post the final, final, FINAL results from Colt MFG. :aargh4:

#30 ·
junk mags?

Heh, thanks I have a depot for storage of my junk mags! I offered to send them back to Colt so they could test them but they said toss em.

Still have not received the mags and the mail/carriers have already hit my area.............:22a:

#31 ·
COLT DEFENDER the Final Chapter THANK YOU OD!

OK, wonderful, thanks for all the help, especially to the member OD for pointing me to the right guy!

I am now a proud owner of a working, dead on accurate Colt Defender. I am confident enough to carry it as my CCW.

After it's two trips to Colt, replacement of it's entire slide assembly and the NEW mags for the defender that are out I am a happy camper.

Colt treats you right, they say what they mean and do what they say. I have over 2000 rounds through this weapon about 500 with the new mags and slide now. In those 500 w/new mag and slide I had ZERO failures. All Colt stock, no Wilson combat mags.

Now I have 6 mags for this weapon, a bit much but tis ok. I will keep the first edition mags in the box it came in!

THANKS OD and thanks to the members of DCC!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.