Reloading info needed... N00b here! :)

This is a discussion on Reloading info needed... N00b here! :) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With all the pricing increases and my ongoing penchant to add more and more firearms to my stable, I'd like to get some info on ...

Thread: Reloading info needed... N00b here! :)

Reloading info needed... N00b here! :)

With all the pricing increases and my ongoing penchant to add more and more firearms to my stable, I'd like to get some info on reloading. Specifically, what are the basic needs when it comes to setting up myself to actually reload. I have read about it and seen it from time to time but never really thought of doing it until the last few months or so. I'd like to give it a try and pick up some basic reloading tools within the next 6 months or so if the money allows.

What would be a basic setup to start reloading as far as equipment goes? I would be starting from ground zero so I would need everything a basic reloading entails as far as equipment.

What would be a good resource to get into the basics? Would your average reloading manual suffice or are there other texts out there you would reccomend?

Any and all info is appreciated!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    We had this subject IIRC just a week ago - and if I can find the link it will effectively supply info to help you.

This one has some info - still looking for the other .....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=25847

Here's other ........

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=30320

After having a look thru those do drop back with extra questions you may still have and we'll go from there.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

if you are going to be reloading just 9mm you won't save too much money. If it's 45s or other bigger rounds you can save a good amount.

You can get a lee single press for around 90 bux. and for around 300 bux would get you going with supplies,scale etc.

I was in the process of getting a reloading setup (dillon 650 XL), but I am going to wait until next year

VIP Member
    If you decide to buy everything at once and don't mind going single stage press, I think this is a pretty complete list. You other "investment" will be time.
    Lee Challenger Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit with "Modern Reloading" Manual
    (Kit includes Press, Auto-Prime, 11 Auto-Prime Shellholders, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, 2 oz case lube, Cutter and Lock Stud (Case Length Gage and Shellholder sold separately), powder scale, powder measure and powder funnel. This kit also includes the popular "Modern Reloading" manual. )
    Product #: 820810
    Our Price: $89.99

Lee Carbide 3-Die Set 9mm Luger
    Product #: 140349
    Our Price: $21.99

Hodgdon Titegroup Smokeless Powder 1 lb
    Product #: 411636
    Our Price: $14.49 (times 2 for 1K rounds)

Winchester Small Pistol Primer #1-1/2 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)
    Product #: 166619
    Our Price: $22.99

Frankford Arsenal Dial Caliper 6" Stainless Steel
    Product #: 119623
    Our Price: $25.99

Frankford Arsenal 50-Round Perfect Fit Reloading Tray
    Product #: 386904
    Our Price: $3.99 Sale!

Frankford Arsenal Max Case Length
    $16.95

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 115 Grain Plated Round Nose Box of 1000
    Product #: 592349
    Our Price: $55.99 Sale!

Once-Fired Brass 9mm Luger Grade 3 Box of 1000
    Product #: 369677
    Our Price: $23.99

Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator 110 Volt
    Product #: 414369
    Manufacturer #: 645880
    Our Price: $49.99 Sale!341.85
    Compare at: $59.99 You
    TOTAL $341.85 or 34 cents a round your first 1K.
    Wally World White Box around $150 per 1K or 15 cents per round. And it will increase)

Now, for the next relaod and you are still being lazy and not retrieving & picking picking brass off the range, you will only buy brass, bullets, primers and powder: $132.99 if my numbers are correct or 13 cents a round.
    You decide to reuse the brass you price drops to $108.00 or 11 cents a round.
    You may want to search for a local cast bullet merchandiser which may bring the price even lower.

If you buy your "perishables" in bulk, you get to save some more.

By the time you reload your fourth batch of 1K in 9mm, you paid off the equipment and you may want to start investing in casting your own bullets.... but that part of the math I will leave to those who actually cast like Chris. Or you may want to buy one more gadget here and there: Anothe scale, another thrower... etc
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Wow! Fantastic information! Thank you!

You guys have put up EXACTLY what I was looking for!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

go to a used book store and get some reloading books. don't worry about the age/years on/of the books. the basic information on how to will be the same. look for some used reloading equipment, that is the best way to start out. later on you can start casting lead bulletts.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

ABC's of Reloading by name of Author was C. Rodney James, has been really helpful for me.

Links