Rifled Barrels and Shot

Rifled Barrels and Shot

This is a discussion on Rifled Barrels and Shot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At our shop we are seeing increasing interest in the Taurus Judge. More requests are being made for the 3" bbl than for the 6" ...

Senior Moderator

Rifled Barrels and Shot

At our shop we are seeing increasing interest in the Taurus Judge. More requests are being made for the 3" bbl than for the 6" but it's becoming a gun of great popularity, at least in my area, more particularly because of it's ability to shoot both .45LCs and .410 shotgun shells from its rifled barrel.

Now, the first two thing I was told when I started learning about shotguns were: Never put a rifled slug down a rifled barrel and never shoot shot from a rifled barrel.

How is it possible to shoot shot from the rifled barrel of the Judge and not damage the rifling or cause other problems?

VIP Member
    The barrel has to be cleaned as nec. However if the .410 shotgun shell has a shot cup the lead probably won't hit the rifling much; the real problem may be from spinning the pattern and getting blown patterns. Though in a handgun and hand gun ranges it probably isn't much of a factor; in a rifled barreled or rifled choke tubed shotgun and buck shot it can make you miss or have ineffectual patterns.
    I shoot foster slugs in a rifled shotgun barrel and it works good and is accurate to 100 yds.

As you are most likely aware, the rifling isn't very profound. And at only 3" there isn't much to effect the shot pattern, which is going to be rather large anyway with small shot. Finally, they had to have some type of rifling or it would be a short barrelled shotgun and not importable or saleable.

JD
    Administrator
    Actually it would be an AOW if it was smooth bore, not an SBS, but that's topic for another thread

I agree that the 3" may be short enough to prevent damage, but the Judge also comes in a 6" model...

I think that would be pushing it, (the 6") with either bbl, I wouldn't shoot much shot out of one of I had one, just to be on the safe side.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I shoot foster slugs in a rifled shotgun barrel and it works good and is accurate to 100 yds.
    I thought foster slugs were rifled lead. ???
    Rifled lead slugs go in smoothbore barrels.
    Sabot slugs go in rifled barrels.
    There is no way the accuracy of a foster lead slug through a rifled barrel is going to compare to the accuracy of a sabot slug fired through a rifled barrel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I thought foster slugs were rifled lead. ???
    Rifled lead slugs go in smoothbore barrels.
    Sabot slugs go in rifled barrels.
    There is no way the accuracy of a foster lead slug through a rifled barrel is going to compare to the accuracy of a sabot slug fired through a rifled barrel.

Did not say it was more accurate, just said it was accurate; but, the real point was that the original poster thought it would harm the rifled barrel and it won't. If you got 'em or want 'em shoot sabot slugs, if a person doesn't have sabots or can only find fosters, they do not have to stay out of the woods because fosters can be used with no damage to the barrel. That's the whole point, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Actually it would be an AOW if it was smooth bore, not an SBS, but that's topic for another thread

Senior Moderator
    The shot never touches the barrel due to the shotcup. After alot of shooting, it will be necessary to clean the build up of plastic from the barrel where the rifling tears at the shot cup.

Forster slugs are indeed "rifled" The rifling on the slug is a series of grooves in a helical pattern to impart a spin on the slug to increase its accuracy...made for decades to shoot though smooth bores.

Rifled shotgun have only been around for 25 years or so. The Forster slug can be accurate in it or it can have dismal accuracy. Sabots came around much later and due to the sabot, a smaller diameter slug could be pushed much faster and the rifling gave it more accuracy, which was needed in some states like Illinois when the Mobsters up there outlawed any rifle that could shoot a politician or a gangster and forced deer hunters to use shotguns exclusivley..even though it was prairie and in most places one could see for several miles.

The thing is...shot used with a rifled barrel will have a pretty radical pattern up close due to the spin.
    I had a .45/.410 Contender barrel that I used to shoot squirrels and an occasional quail with but after 15 yards the pattern was useless.

The Taurus, being meant as a defensive weapon, can actually be pretty versatile. Since 15 yards is about the limit that one would want to shoot in a defensive situation, the rapidly opening pattern could be seen as an asset rather than a liability.

I'm not sure I would recommend using anything less than buckshot for defensive purposes, but for hunting or a backpack gun it could be pretty useful.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Lima, this is a little off the subject, but not a hijack. There is also a 4" barrel Taurus Judge. Sports South is a huge distributor. In fact they are big enough to contract with Taurus to build a Judge with a 4" barrel just for them. I have one and my cousin has one. I have handled the 3" and 6" models as well. The 6" feels nose heavy. The 3" feels OK, but the 4" really handles well and the 4" is surprisingly accurate with the .45 Colt rounds. The dealer that my cousin and I bought our 4" Judges from sells about twice as many 4" as 3" and 6" combined.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Links