Talk me through this…

Talk me through this…

This is a discussion on Talk me through this… within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All, I decided my next purchase will be a wheel gun. This will be my first revolver. It will be used for range work and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me through this…

Talk me through this…

All,

I decided my next purchase will be a wheel gun. This will be my first revolver. It will be used for range work and maybe home defense after familiarization. I’ve decided a 6inch full size .38/.357 will fit the bill. I will probably be shooting .38s 99% of the time, but I feel a full size would be best for learning, and extended range use.

I have been looking hard at the S&W 686, and the Ruger GP-100 (and lightly kicking around the idea of a Taurus) trying to decide which is for me. Let me talk myself through here, and feel free to set me straight.

GP-100 - I’m told they are tough and able to handle the full house .357 loads for a long time. To my relatively untrained eye it feels the most solid of them all. I would probably replace the front sight with an orange insert, and maybe the grips with Hogue finger grooves. The price is very good for quality gun.

S&W – It feels good with the Hogue finger groove grips. The sights are to my liking. And, probably to none of the veterans surprise, the trigger is a dream. The single action pull is crisp, sharp, and beautiful. The gun store guy’s word was “electric” with no mechanical feel at all. I’m sure I’m not experienced enough of a shooter to appreciate this trigger. The price is nearly a third more than the GP-100.

Taurus – I am sure it would handle my occasional range use, and the price is the lowest of the three, but it feels the least sturdy. It has a few sharp edges, and the roughest trigger of the three. I think that the nearly identical price to the Ruger make it the third place winner. (was never really in the running)

Now that I’ve have talked myself down to the Ruger or S&W, I guess my question (finally) is which would you choose? The solid, attainable Ruger (with upgrades probably in the future) or the 686 with every thing I’m looking for and less money for ammo.

Tell me what you think, and teach me what you know.

Thanks,
    Dauff

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Personally, I think S&W has made some of the finest revolvers ever. I think you allready made the case yourself to go with the S&W. If it feels that good to you, then do it. Better to do that then to purchase the Ruger, only to find out a year from now you are trading it to get that Smith.

Also, another personal opinion, you will be better off going with the 4" model rather than the 6". I know it is not quite so Dirty Harry, but you will find it a more practical size and weight unless you are only bench shooting with it. That 6" model gets to be a little heavy when holding it up.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    Save up a little while longer & go with the S&W.
    They sure do make a dang fine revolver.
    Consider it to be an investment in quality that you'll sure appreciate in the long run.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    S&W.
    IMHO a better gun and, as you already described, a great trigger.

S&W 686 probably the best

I think the conventional wisdom among revolver shooters is that the S&W 686 is probably the best .357 magnum double action revolver currently produced. I've had one for over 10 years and think very highly of it. The trigger action is outstanding, and the gun is solid and well made.

I have two older S&W 357 magnums, a model 586 and model 19 both with a 4" barrel. They are great guns and have stood the test of time. There is no doubt that S&W makes some fine revolvers.

I have looked at the Ruger, and though it is a nice gun, it doesn't feel like a "fine" gun. The trigger pull was not as smooth and for me it didn't have a grip angle that was comfortable. Also, the weight distribution seemed awkward, (probably due to the grip angle.) By the time you add some new grips and a red ramp sight, you could have paid for the S&W.

However, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by dauff View Post
    All,

I decided my next purchase will be a wheel gun. This will be my first revolver. It will be used for range work and maybe home defense after familiarization. I’ve decided a 6inch full size .38/.357 will fit the bill. I will probably be shooting .38s 99% of the time, but I feel a full size would be best for learning, and extended range use.

I have been looking hard at the S&W 686, and the Ruger GP-100 (and lightly kicking around the idea of a Taurus) trying to decide which is for me. Let me talk myself through here, and feel free to set me straight.

GP-100 - I’m told they are tough and able to handle the full house .357 loads for a long time. To my relatively untrained eye it feels the most solid of them all. I would probably replace the front sight with an orange insert, and maybe the grips with Hogue finger grooves. The price is very good for quality gun.

S&W – It feels good with the Hogue finger groove grips. The sights are to my liking. And, probably to none of the veterans surprise, the trigger is a dream. The single action pull is crisp, sharp, and beautiful. The gun store guy’s word was “electric” with no mechanical feel at all. I’m sure I’m not experienced enough of a shooter to appreciate this trigger. The price is nearly a third more than the GP-100.

Taurus – I am sure it would handle my occasional range use, and the price is the lowest of the three, but it feels the least sturdy. It has a few sharp edges, and the roughest trigger of the three. I think that the nearly identical price to the Ruger make it the third place winner. (was never really in the running)

Now that I’ve have talked myself down to the Ruger or S&W, I guess my question (finally) is which would you choose? The solid, attainable Ruger (with upgrades probably in the future) or the 686 with every thing I’m looking for and less money for ammo.

Tell me what you think, and teach me what you know.

Thanks,
    Dauff
    I love em both. I went with the Ruger and replaced the stocks with a Hogue rubber grip. Both great revolvers. I also own a Smith And Wesson Model 19 357 mag with a 6" barrel which is a dream to shoot 38+ps with. Bought it back in the mid 1980s.

Administrator
    I'd buy the Smith, but cant fault the you if you go with the Ruger.
    You have already began modding the Ruger, spending money (in your mind) to make it on par with the Smith. After doing so, does the price of the Ruger, +time and effort, pass the price of the Smith?
    The Smith will hold its value a little better too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

S&W or a used Colt Trooper MkIII. Either will be a lifetime keeper as well as gain some value as time goes by. JMHO-Chuck.

I've had both- I would get the Ruger (4"), and work it up a bit. S&W is still good, but not at all what they were. I've grown from "Basic", to "Premium" and back to "Basic".

The Smiths are nice, but you really want to get a set of Power hammer & trigger shims fitted, and probably endshake bearings, for it to be what it should. The Ruger just needs some internal polish and new grips.

For shooting specials I think a S&W model 10 is about the best there is. That said my 686 is my favorite gun, I shoot quite a few magnums though.
    FEG PJK 9HP 9mm
    Yugo 59/66 7.62 x 39mm
    4" S&W 686+ .357 magnum
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18mm(currently in need of new slide)
    Madsen m48 .30-06

I never got over seeing a buddy bend the frame of his stainless security six shooting Speer lawman series ammo. 6 shots was all it took while my Trooper ate box after box.

I have been carrying a Ruger 5 shot 38 cal. Special for several years now. I love it. My hubby is pushing for me to get a automatic with higher capicity...which is the only draw back to mine...but I keep my revolver because being carried off body in a purse...I know when I pull the trigger...it will work without hang ups.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Look for an older S&W. Ruger is good but vintage S&W is better.

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    I have had a Ruger GP-100 for 7 years now and love it. Perhaps if I tried it next to a S&W, Colt, whatever, I would like the other better. But I have never regretted the purchase of that Ruger. I like the factory grips and the trigger on mine was very good (at least for me) right out of the box.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links