Brownell's Grip Safety Installation - Ed Brown

This is a discussion on Brownell's Grip Safety Installation - Ed Brown within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is a pic of the Ed Brown that I just added to my Colt Combat Commander. I added this first one without using the ...

Thread: Brownell's Grip Safety Installation - Ed Brown

Administrator

Thumbs up Brownell's Grip Safety Installation - Ed Brown

Here is a pic of the Ed Brown that I just added to my Colt Combat Commander.
    I added this first one without using the Ed Brown installation jig.
    I would STRONGLY suggest that you spend the slight extra bucks and buy the correct frame fitting JIG for any grip safety that you buy.
    If you do any part installation that will need modifications done to the pistol frame. Invest in the Jig.
    I've since purchased the JIG and now just did a Series 70 frame for the Ed Brown and what a difference that jig made!
    That one is FLAWLESS and it was quick! (more pics to follow whenever)

I still did a fairly neat job (I think) on this one fitting the new "frame contour" by hand but, it was a tedious chore.

You still need to carefully contour and profile the frame to the Grip Safety after you get it fit but, if you are used to using a Dremel then you can handle it.
    The Ed Brown blocking arm also needs to be slightly fit to the trigger.
    I cheated and just took a very exact tight tracing from the original "factory fit" grip safety and carefully matched the Brown length & profile to that.
    That worked out perfectly great.
    The Ed Brown might not be the first BeaverTail that you'll want to do.
    Some other grip safeties are a bit easier to install. There are tons of them to choose from.
    If you are decent working with your hands though you can do it if you know how to follow the instructions.

I also took the Dremel to the original thumb safety and "converted" it to a Colt "old style" that I always liked better.

Then I just really quickly Cold Blued everything since this is my daily carry gun these days and I didn't want any "bare metal" showing on it especially in the hot humid summer time. I hate rust.

Next I'm going to checker the front strap...I'm finally getting back to working on this gun then (when it is finally done) I'm sending it out for probably a satin Electroless Nickel finish.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

WOW

Excellent job for not using the jig.

Administrator
    Seems like a lot of the various grip safeties use one or the other of two available jigs.
    The correct one for each is mentioned in the Brownell's catalog.
    The jig makes the cut REAL EASY since it is made from steel hardened SO HARD that it's impossible to cut into it with a file.

So you put the jig on and scribe around it....then get close to your scribed lines with a bench grinder....and put the jig back on.

You then basically just keep filing away until the file will not cut any more frame metal.
    Then the file stops cutting all by itself. It just cannot file any further as the file just skates over it without removing any metal.

I think it's better to move onto a finer cutting file as you near the jig for a smoother final filing. It's about as foolproof as it gets.

The additional contouring on the frame tail is not too bad if you just go slow and take your time.
    I just used the small drum sander on a Dremel with a fine grit sanding drum to countour the remainder of the frame to the Grip Safety and then finished up with 3M Wet Or Dry paper.

I'll post another pic of the 2nd Colt frame done with the jig tomorrow.
    I'm on a rool now. I love the Ed Brown safety...others are Real Close to looking exactly like the Brown these days though.

looks good for no jig for sure

Links