Late Father's Day

This is a discussion on Late Father's Day within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, first of all I know that Father's day was an eternity ago, but I finally got around to buying my dad his present. A ...

Thread: Late Father's Day

Late Father's Day

Ok, first of all I know that Father's day was an eternity ago, but I finally got around to buying my dad his present. A little backstory may be in order. When I was a teenager my dad had an old Winchester 1894 30-30 rifle that as far as I knew, he never shot. It also happened to be the only gun he owned. Well it turns out that my younger brother, stole it and ended up pawning it. All of that was discovered and there were apologies and financial restitutions made. There are no hard feelings. However my dad has been talking about the gun ever since then (about 10 years) because he never replaced it. Well this year I decided to try and surprise him. I could not find the Winchester in anywhere close to a price I could afford, so instead I went with a fairly decent Marlin 30-30. I gave it to him on Saturday. Saturday afternoon we decided to go to the range, so that he could try it out (as well as get a little handgun time as well) He absolutely loved it! I don't think I have ever seen his face "beam" quite so bright in my entire life. He actually let me shoot it a couple of times, and I ended up with a useless shoulder after only about 6 shots. But overall it was a success. There had been quite a bit of "baggage" between us for the past couple of years but this one time at the range helped us bond in ways that could not have happened otherwise. There is not really a point or question to this post.....just sharing a good time.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by KellyCooper View Post
    There is not really a point or question to this post.....just sharing a good time.
    There IS a point to the post. Thanks for sharing with us.

excellent post ,,,that was a great present ,,,i really havent gone to the range recently but i know target shooting is a great way to bond with your dad,,

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed Kelly - I agree with wmhawth - there most definitely is a point to your post, a very favorable one.

I can imagine your Dad's pleasure - it would be in part the gift element but also the nature of the gun itself. Not maybe quite what he used to have but, close enough to be a good alternative.

Good for you - and best of all maybe ......
    overall it was a success. There had been quite a bit of "baggage" between us for the past couple of years but this one time at the range helped us bond in ways that could not have happened otherwise.
    That - is probably the biggest single bonus here IMO ...... may you move fwd and build on it - and repair any broken fences .

Glad you posted this
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

There is always a point...for a good son doing something for a great dad...

Thanks for sharing...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links