Are High-Standards quality handguns?

This is a discussion on Are High-Standards quality handguns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have one of their 1911's, and I just cant bring myself to love it that much due to the fact that I have really ...

Thread: Are High-Standards quality handguns?

Are High-Standards quality handguns?

I have one of their 1911's, and I just cant bring myself to love it that much due to the fact that I have really never heard any praises as to the quality of High-Standard. It fails to feed occasionally, but I can't discern if it is because it still needs to be broken in (Only about 100 more shots to go) or if it was the Mec-Gar magazines I was using (I had heard they are very finicking with feeding on their 1911 models.)

2. Remove Ads

I were you, I wouldnt gage anything on what others say, but instead on what you have personally experienced with it.

Give it a good break in and reserve judgement until then.

Assistant Administrator
    My assessment of Hi-Standards is based on .22 rimfire semi's over the years - and in that area they were certainly regarded as good guns - quality on a par with Walther GSP's for instance.

I have not seen or handled anything in larger cal but if the rep' is maintained with other guns with the name, I would expect or at least hope for quality.

Poor mag's will easily let down an otherwise excellent gun.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

+1 Chris

I have a Hi-Standard "Sport King" .22 rimfire and it has always been a sweet little target/plinking pistol. One of my all time fav's!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I have a High Standard 1911, and I love it. It's about as bare-bones as a 1911 gets, but after its break-in period, it's been a very reliable and accurate gun. I've heard stories of loose fit and burrs, but mine was tight and smooth. For the price, it's an excellant gun, and it was exactly what I was looking for in a bare-bones GI 1911.

Lead Moderator
    I used one of their .22's when I was shooting with a Pistol team and thought it was great.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    the old HS semi 22's were US made, very good quality, particularly the old ones. the 1911's are imports they arrange since they relocated the business. however, i read a review of the HS 1911 and it wan't bad at all for an econo 1911.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I have a High Standard 1911, and I love it. It's about as bare-bones as a 1911 gets,
    This is one of the reasons why I bought it, It was bare bones.

If you've acquired a High-Standard circa 1950s, you've got yourself one fine piece of precision machined equipment - as good as any old SIG of the same era...was used in the old days as a military survival weapon in the military (primarily the Air Force) and by others in special occupations - sort of an early very fine, excellent operating hush-puppy (before teflon inserts)...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

High Standard 22's were one of the three pistols we were given as competition guns when I was XO of the 9th ID Composite BULLSEYE Pistol Team. The others were match grade Colt Gold Cup and a Smith & Wesson M41 in cal 22LR.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I sold my old H-S .22 model B, and have been regretting it ever since. Very fine firearm.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Okay...maybe I am a knucklehead. Is "Hi-Standard" and "High-Standard" the same company?

My understanding is that these are two seperate and distinct manufacturing companies...

I have a High Standard 12 gauge and have never had a bit of trouble from it..... Not a big brand name but it has always been reliable for me.
    Praise the Lord....Pass the ammunition

Joe

The new High Standard 1911's are made by Armscor in the Phillipines. The same folks who make the Rock Island Armory 1911's. However, they are imported and sold by different vendors than the RIA and their customer service reputed to be not as good as RIA. I have a RIA GI standard and a compact officers model 1911s and they are both great guns for the money. I have not had any FTF or FTE issues. I understand that Ivan who works for Armscor and has a facility in Pahrump, Nv has said that they will honor the warranty work if needed. He posts daily on the 1911.org forum. FTF issues in semi-autos are usually due to: (1) Bad mags, (2) Shooting technique ie, limp wristing (3) ammo, (4) Improperly cleaned and lubed pistol or (5) Weak recoil spring.

Here is a thread on 1911.org about HS business practices: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=28574

Here is where you can contact Ivan: http://www.advancedtactical.com/about.htm

Distinguished Member
    I had my dad's Hi Standard Model B (he's now 94) for years. He got it in 1938. Never a problem. Ever. I was warned that using today's 22lr was risky so quit using it. It shows its wear as both he and his father used it trapping in Northern Maine.

Links