Defensive Carry banner

Going to have some custom work done...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  S&W8207 
#1 ·
Bought a sp101.357 3" last week and I am considering the Hyrbra Porting, slab side and skeltonized trigger guard like this example but without the Black-T. Has anyone had the porting done and did it reduce muzzle flip?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just curious as to why you picked Hyrbra Porting over say MagNaPort...not that there is anything wrong with Hyrbra porting - wondering if there is any special reason you selected them.

Who does Hybra Porting?

#4 ·
Okay, couple of thoughts:

1) You are losing one of the most destructive components of a snubby's injury-capacity- the muzzle blast. At contact range, magnificiently HUGE tissue damage occurs with a .357. Pressed to the chest wall, or over the liver or spleen, you can indeed get a one-shot-stop. Why reduce your effectiveness?

2) No amount of training will "enable" your orientation of the gun in a live struggle for one. You will shoot when you can get the muzzle on the BG, and his hand(s) is not locking your weapon. Orienting the muzzle will take a great deal of focus on your part, much less where the 5 Venturi cones are pointing.

If you are really curious about this effect, rest your SP over your forearm, and fire a couple at the range. This experience tends to dissuade people from desiring any more energy on their end of the weapon than is absolutely necessary.:biggrin2:

3) If you're considering porting to reduce the .357 recoil, shoot .38Spl.s. If you must port, I would suggest Magnaport, as they will certainly have less blast potentially going your direction.

#5 ·
Tim,

The snubbie is probably going to be used at very close range. I'm sure that you have considered the possibility of discharging the weapon from a tucked or "retention" position. We tested an SP101 with ports and found that from that shooting position, ALL of the vented gas, powder and other "products of ballistic discharge" ended up in our faces. Bless Mr Oakley! Losing your eyesight in a fight is a non starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.