Gun show Purchase - need help ! ??

This is a discussion on Gun show Purchase - need help ! ?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This weekend is Gunshow Weekend in Ft Worth (plus the Grand Opening Of Cabelas). Anyway, I went with the intention of locating a 696, or ...

Thread: Gun show Purchase - need help ! ??

Gun show Purchase - need help ! ??

This weekend is Gunshow Weekend in Ft Worth (plus the Grand Opening Of Cabelas). Anyway, I went with the intention of locating a 696, or a Colt Magnum Carry, or a Smith 66-1. The only 696 in the show was $975.00, and much too large for my little dainty hands. There were no Magnum Carry's there. I did luck out and find a pristine 2 1/2 " Smith 66-1 from an individual. It showed very little use, a little dirty, obviously fired, but very slight cylinder pecker-tracks. I would rate it a 98%+. My problem is, I was under the impression that the -1 configeration of this weapon had a pinned barrel. This weapon has the hammer-mounted firing pin and the recessed cylinder, but no barrel pin. It also has a red front sight insert. The SW Logo is not the large one shown on some photos on the right side, but a small logo on the left side below the cylinder release lever. The S/N's match. How many configurations of the 66-1 did they have before they went to the -2 ? It had a new, unused Pack rubber grip, still in the box. The price, out the door was $300.00. I bought it. Did I get hillaried ????

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Geezer,

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (by Supica & Hahas), the pinned barrel was eliminated in 1982 & designated Model 66-2. Revolvers marked 66-1 should have pinned barrels. Sounds like you might have an oddity there.

Price sounds fair to me. I'd say you got a good deal.

Almost forgot, the 66-1 was introduced in 1977, according to the book.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Thumbs up

Your gun was a tranistion model..right between the changes that were made........the recessed chambers are VERY desirable........Try to find a set of Smith K frame Round Butt stocks.. (the small wood ones) to make it original. Did it have a box? (dark blue and silver enhancments?) The gun may have been made 1980.to 81.. I was going to say, that if it had NO Red ramp... it was a real early 66.... For 300.00 you got a steal!!
    I LOVE hearing of those who got the better end of the transaction!! GOOD DEAL YA GOT THERE!!!

Thanks for the replies. It does appear to be a transition configuration. It has the small Smith grips (probably why the previous owner had a set of Packmyers) with it. Any reason why Smith converted over from pinned barrels ? What's the advantage ? I do wish it had the large Smith Logo on the right side. I also like to see someone get a good deal at a gun show, lord knows I've been had enough times (like shoe polish covering blue), but it is delightful to get to a dealer. My purchase was from a real person, but we both walked away happy, and that's what matters. This is one sexy firearm, just like the 686 is to the L frame. Like comparing Boxer to klinton ???

Thumbs up

Smith started doing the pressed BBLs for ease of instalatin..the Pinned BBls were hand fitted and then Drilled after they were set. Replacing the BBls was not only difficult, but costly. (it taked a lot less time to press, and then space the BBL, than screw it on, and then space it.) not to mention the possiblilty of sights not lined up. Some Smiths were to be sent with sights slightly canted to one side, and in need to being sent back to the Factory for re-fit.. II had observed these items via a Gun Shop I once worked at..more so with the tranistion guns..... Hope this bit of info helps You can also contact Roy Jinks at S&W for a histiroical letter.for 30 bucks......Roy will give you the complete back ground on your 66-1..Bet you truely have a transition gun, as Smith made many changes during that time

Links