"Why I Do Not Own A Gun" - Page 2

"Why I Do Not Own A Gun"

This is a discussion on "Why I Do Not Own A Gun" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off great article find . I also found randys response to be equally well articulated and thoughtful, which brings me into my point: The ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    First off great article find . I also found randys response to be equally well articulated and thoughtful, which brings me into my point: The sheep scare me...to death. Its easy to be a sheep. The "Oh i can wait/trust/hangon until LEO arrives" attitude is garabage (I have a deep respect for LEO, and the seemingly impossible things they accomplish, but they can't be incharge for my personal saftey at the very moment I need them). It disgusts me on a level deeper than anti 2A, and anti owning a gun. It comes down to people thinking for themselves and chosing to be idependent and fighting for what they have worked/lived for and what others have bleed and died for. I hope people wake up, but the sad part is they just won't. There is going to be a divide in this country, between people who will think for themselves and the people who will sit and watch MTV all day b/c it is the cool thing to do. My generation (im Y (i think)) is nearly RUINED b/c people are too afraid and too lazy to own a TOOL that protects them and thier family from harm. I wonder if they know that a hammer is dangerous? Or a skill saw? Shoot i've seen someone nail a board into thier leg, and i've also seen another guy just about chop of his finger. I'm just really happy there are a few of us left, a few good... no... GREAT Americans, who understand the gift that the architects of this amazing country gave to us.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Administrator
    Did some of us miss the point that he isnt anti gun... he just doesnt want one himself? While I dont agree with the mindset, I dont see anything wrong with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

"After all, I’m from Connecticut."

Fargin' idiot! Yeah, because nothing bad ever happens in CT, right?!?!

Ask Dr. Petit who just had his wife and two daughters raped and murdered in the lovely little quaint town of Cheshire, CT last month.

The two POS criminals beat him to within an inch of his life and BURNED their stinkin' house down! They kidnapped the Dr's wife and made her withdraw money from their bank...

They were caught by the po-po AFTER crashing the stolen Petit's car into police cruisers...

But, after all, he's from Connecticut where firearms aren't needed and, apparently, a shotgun or the like wouldn't have helped the Petit family. Vaya con Dios...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/24/ny...rssnyt&emc=rss

Uh...this guy is not representative of men from CT...

<--CT transplant....now in a free state

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Did some of us miss the point that he isnt anti gun... he just doesnt want one himself? While I dont agree with the mindset, I dont see anything wrong with it.
    I have not missed that point. It is about the right to keep and bear arms. Not about the responsibility to keep and bear arms.

I will not try to "convert" everyone into a gun-toting person. My first and main goal is to show them that I, as a pro-2A gun owning person, is not a boogey man. I am on their side. And that I, like many others, are what the 2A is all about. If they want to travel further down the path, I will discuss training, etc. ... for them.

Remember folks, actions speak louder than words. All it takes is for us to say anything pro 2A ONCE and we are branded as "gun nuts", however, our actions are evaluated every day. We need to be ambassadors to 2A with our actions moreso than our words.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    The causes for his weakness of mind and inability to believe in himself are probably numerous enough to employ a team of shrinks for many, many months.

But one such cause is that our society (particularly the urbran subculture in the northeast part of the country...go ahead, flame me for overgeneralizing) breeds dependence, not independence.

"The police will take care of me" is just a preface to "because I can't be trusted to do it myself".

Not only are others responsible for our safety, according to such "thinking", we aren't fit to, responsible enough or capable of taking charge for ourselves, either.

It makes for fine employees (I'm self-employed- another flame-able bias), subjects (not citizens or free women) and easily-managed populations.

As a side note, I've found that "easily-managed" and "good" tend to be used synonymously, whether you're talking about school, the workplace or society at large; a non-virtue thus becoming the ONLY virtue...ugh.
    I bolded...TOTALLY AGREED! I'm a product of the Northeast, south baltimore(brooklyn/curtisbay/linthicum/etc...been around/pick yer poison). I grew up watching people beat each other to death out front and crackwhores shooting up in the alleys out back. Was always drilled into us at schools or via police visits...not to get involved...only call 911...don't fight back...give them what they want...you're not trained...you're not responsible...

Oh great now I'm on a tangent... It's really an interesting dynamic to investigate or evaluate after the fact really. The worst part about the "urban sub-culture" is that it's effectively bred in as a survival mechanism. You really don't have much choice if you grow up in it(you have choice, but what you choose decides whether you live, live misserably, or not live at all). Going to public school for instance...if you don't have that support system(gangs/large group of friends that roam in packs together etc...)...you don't make it all the way through the day, let alone make it home in one piece. It turns into a ...you watch my back and I'll watch yours mentality. Hell, the school I went to for 7-9th grades, if a fight broke out, the rent-a-cops ran the other way(believe it or not this was ESPECIALLY the case if it was a girl fight which were always exceptionally brutal) and the hallways filled up with "bits"(bookies-in-training) taking bets. And if ANYONE, teaching staff, rent-a-cops, or real LEO's tried to push through the crowd to break them up...it ended VERY badly(ie mobbed, stabbed, beaten etc...). I find it interesting though that it never made the news. It became a normal routine. It wasn't anything new, so the local news orgs didn't even bother broadcasting it.

Thankfully, my parents shipped me down to my grandfather down south about every other summer for pretty-much the entirity of my summer vacations up until around 16 or so. So for all the "education" the public school system and city life drilled into me...my grandfather spent the summers "re-educating" me on life and personal responsibility.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Next time you're out trying to turn an anti or introduce a newbie at the range or having a discussion toward firearms with a fence sitter, keep in mind this persons words as the person in front of you just might be of this mindset. Effectively he has little faith in himself and believes himself to be weak of mind and thus may be transferring those same thoughts and fears on to you, which then support his own beliefs.

- Janq
    Excellent post and point(s).

You never know who you are dealing with when you meet a fence sitter/anti/new, etc...

This isn't a twelve step program(not yet but when Hillary is President it may just be!).

Do you really know whomever it may be that you want to introduce to or attempt to convert to what is our right but also our responsibility.

One may consider it to be their responsibility for continued Constitutional rights. While another may think it's something to pass to your children and that's only two examples of the infinite mindsets of the mass.

I spent some time in that forum. I read the posts, noted the members read the owner/moderators info. The posts are consistent with what could be a Prozac nation uprising. I suspect that it's another activists way of getting the ones on the fence to 'just say no'

Have a look at just a few of what the self proclaimed 'journalist' has posted about himself - "The Ferrett" that went to Norwalk Community College - Norwalk, CT (hmm, should check the schools website to see if you can get an associates in journalism). http://theferrett.livejournal.com/profile

Here are some of his chronicles he hasn't written yet that I found not surprisingly.

# The day I killed the only child I ever had
    # My second (and final) suicide attempt
    # Why I began dressing in women's clothing (not written yet)
    # Finally admitting I needed to go on Paxil (and why I went off it)
    # How I settled down and became a *****
    # The day I got neutered

and the one that spoke to me in regards to our 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms;

# Proof that a really good writer can sound forceful, like he really means something, and then do something different when nobody's looking

"When nobody's looking"
    That's the best line of offense or defense right there. To appeal to the human nature when the facts and statistics don't match the cause, ramp it up and play the heartstrings. Get the fanatics all riled up with sad press and online tapping away at posting a new way to discourage anyone they can to become anti and pass the word.

Look at all of the 'friends' he has in his list then look at the posts, notice any similarity to the posted nicks?

Long one, I wouldn't have read this far. My point being and I am from the south, this guy is a fart in the wind. Perhaps the few the proud should flood his forum with success stories, encouragement or social engineering as the Ferrett (isn't their only one 'r' in ferret?) is attempting in this forum?

It is a wake up call to see this freak show (all due respect to Dr Ferrett and his ban of merry bleeding heart liberals). It made me think about what Jang had to say as well. Enough to read that site...thanks on that Jang...not.

I was born with a rattle and a shotgun, yea I know...

Quite frankly, while I don't particularly admire the author of the article, I think it takes a level of maturity to recognize his own limitations.

I compare it to a man who does not drink alcohol, because he knows that he cannot control the beast that comes out when he does. When this kid gets his hands on a gun, he knows he'll play with it, and handle it irresponsibly. Therefore, I applaud him for realizing he doesn't need one, and him having one is a bad idea. Hopefully his southern-raised neighbor has one to help him out if SHTF.

This country doesnt need "more gun owners" per-se, but more RESPONSIBLE gun owners.

This has been an interesting thread to read. The most telling remarks from the original poster are the ones that enlighten me to their immaturity and their indoctrination. Too bad for them.

I do believe a person has to know their limitations. I am happy when someone who is too immature to recognize a firearm as nothing more than a sexy toy decides not to get one. We are all better off. I am sad that an adult still feels that way.

Our goal, IMO, must be to exemplify responsible gun ownership. We must conduct ourselves with maturity. We must engae in enlightened discussions and always allow respectful differences. By not being "cooks" and relocating ourselves to "fringe/extremist" status we can win first the respect, and later the hearts of those who are uninformed. This does not preclude social activism and political participation. Those are our responsibility as citizens just as much as safety is our responsibility when we are handling a firearm.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

I think his expressed views demonstrate quite clearly the crippled nature of the minds that are coming up nowadays.

And I don't think that his comments are made in good faith. I think that he is camouflaging a continuing fear about guns. He claims to have been anxious but that it went away, and now he won't own guns because... well, because he doesn't trust himself to not screw around with them to the point of being dangerous. But I think that either that's only part of the story, or he's actually still afraid of guns and is giving this as a cover story.

He offers himself up as someone who has tried guns but has decided, "Nah." It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the truth is he never even did this shooting he claims to have done; that the entire thing is a fraudulent piece designed to demonstrate that not all anti-gunners are people who have never used them and don't know anything about them.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senseiturtle View Post
    Quite frankly, while I don't particularly admire the author of the article, I think it takes a level of maturity to recognize his own limitations.

I compare it to a man who does not drink alcohol, because he knows that he cannot control the beast that comes out when he does. When this kid gets his hands on a gun, he knows he'll play with it, and handle it irresponsibly. Therefore, I applaud him for realizing he doesn't need one, and him having one is a bad idea.
    I see nothing to respect. I see a mind that is not fully developed, like a deformed fetus or something. That's what a lot of today's youth are: partly, oddly developed humans, but lacking in key features here or there, and so being warped and misshapen (mentally). They have some subset of the mental characteristics that make a whole person, but some parts are just conspicuously missing: sometimes it's a conscience, sometimes it's social responsibility, sometimes it's compassion, sometimes it's a work ethic...

This is not like a guy who knows he shouldn't drink. What is wrong with a person's head that he knows he would not be able to resist being an idiot when a gun is in his hands? That's a serious mental disability--a crippled mind. How is it different from someone saying, "I can't let myself use kitchen knives, because whenever I get them in my hand I just can't resist doing stupid, dangerous things with them like juggling them, or throwing them at my girlfriend like we're in a circus show"? I don't see a difference. If you're so mentally unsound that you can't fight ridiculous urges, it doesn't matter what the tool is. You're just plain dangerous.

But if you can recognize that you would want to do those things with a gun but know also that it would be wrong, and you feel you would not be able to stop yourself, somehow I am not comforted by your eschewing gun ownership. Who knows what else you can't control.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    He offers himself up as someone who has tried guns but has decided, "Nah." It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the truth is he never even did this shooting he claims to have done; that the entire thing is a fraudulent piece designed to demonstrate that not all anti-gunners are people who have never used them and don't know anything about them.
    Perhaps your right, but I'll take it at face value until I learn otherwise.
    I dont disagree with what the others are saying ref. this article, but we have nothing to base his "real feelings" on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a couple of friends that are quite brilliant(doctor,etc), but in no way I would trust them with a motorcycle, chain saw, or gun. I unwisely tried to introduce them to those things and I'm glad they decided that was not for them. Tools, mechanical things, kinda common sense things that maybe we take for granted, just don't compute with them.
    If this guy's on the level, I compliment him on his self analysis, but my first reaction to the post was disgust.
    ...one jagged hole!

I know a few with this type of thinking. I give up on them.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Uh...this guy is not representative of men from CT...

<--CT transplant....now in a free state
    I don't know... I had a lot of neighbors and co-workers in CT that were rabidly anti-gun. And that includes the officer who tried to talk me out of getting my pistol permit in my town.

Lots of fathers/families in CT seem to support the military with all the yellow ribbon and American flag displays, but THEIR kids will never go into the military. As if they're better than everyone else's kids or something.

edited to add: As for Mr. Ferret, email sent...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links