"Why I Do Not Own A Gun"

"Why I Do Not Own A Gun"

This is a discussion on "Why I Do Not Own A Gun" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Preface: The following is a blog entry made by some person being quite frank about himself and his views provides toward firearms and owning them. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Why I Do Not Own A Gun"

"Why I Do Not Own A Gun"

Preface: The following is a blog entry made by some person being quite frank about himself and his views provides toward firearms and owning them.
    This might be of no surprise for some of us while for others it might be eye opening. None the less from my own adventures in life this persons views and perception very much mirror that of many if not most antis in so far as what they themselves are thinking in their own minds & hearts toward firearms and owners and consciously or subconsciously apply to those of us who do own firearms.

---
    Why I Do Not Own A Gun

I remember when my dad first took me down to the firing range for my birthday. I had never fired a gun, and I was a little nervous about the details – would I be able to withstand the recoil? Would I jump like a skittish girl when it went off, and then all the other guys would make fun of me?

I didn’t want to feel this stupid about guns, but I did. I’d read up on them, of course – I was always a voracious reader – but the difference between theory and actual gunsmoke was pretty vast.

As it turns out, I did pretty well. The shop was clogged with bullets and sexy black metal, and they gave me an hour’s lecture on gun safety and told me what to do if the gun jammed, and when I was done they gave me a little gold certificate I could hang on my wall. And then I got the reward for being so patient: I shot guns for an hour. My aim was better than I thought it would be (“You’re good at the arcades,” my dad said proudly, “It must carry over”), but not particularly great. I asked to fire the heaviest handgun they had, the Desert Eagle, and I held it steady as could be expected through the kickback.

When I was done, it turns out I’d locked my keys in the car, so I had to call a tow truck. I was twenty-five years old at the time, and I’ve never fired another gun since.

This was not unusual. After all, I’m from Connecticut.

Oh, I’m led to believe that down South, you’re given a rattle and a Browning 9 millimeter, but in the Northeast gun owners are a quiet minority. It’s not that there aren’t people with guns – they exist – but there’s not that kind of gun pride you see in Southern states. They own the gun, and they’re enthusiastic, but they don’t talk about it that much.

But me? I can’t own one.

A lot of my friends have the gun terror – they’ve never fired a weapon, and guns terrify them. They not only refuse to have one in the house, but they don’t want to see anyone holding a gun. I get the impression that to them, guns are kind of like landmines – even if you’re just holding one by the barrel, it could go off and kill everyone in the room at any time. And for them, the idea that someone would keep a miniature Death Star in the house is evidence of purest insanity.

But me? I think guns are simply a tool that can be used for good or evil. I think that having a gun in the house is a choice that people should be allowed to make – it’s not always a wise choice, but like smoking and drinking and drugs, as long as there are laws to force people to do it responsibly, I have no issues with it.

To me, it’s a wash; every time I hear about some nut shooting up his son who was sneaking in after curfew, I hear another story about a guy who chased off a burglar with his gun. The statistics aren’t pleasant, of course, but there’s a part of me that notes that the statistics don’t show how many deaths a gun deters, only how many deaths it causes. (Probably not as many, but still.)

Plus, I’m practical. We have a zillion goddamn guns in this country; outlawing them would have all the effect of, oh, I don’t know… outlawing drugs. Plus, unlike drugs, guns don’t get used on a daily basis by their owners; nobody’s huffing bullets, meaning that a supply of ballistic tips lasts longer than a bag of cocaine. Even if we cut off the supply of guns overnight, we’d still be awash in a tide of bullet-conveying devices that would be easily available, so my fondest wish is that the Democrats would drop the “we must ban all guns” talk and move towards the middle so they can discuss “stopping crazy folks from getting legal guns” and make it stick.

So I’m actually for legality. But personally, I’ll never own a gun. And you know why?

Because guns are ****ing neat.

I’m a nerd, and I love reading catalogues, and even though I have no desire to fire a weapon again, skimming through a gun magazine is enough to make me drool. Guns are designed to look bad-ass, and the catalogues are filled with statistics and discussion of the craftsmanship that goes into them, and there are hundreds of details that make the difference between various models. Even allowing for the whole “This thing is designed to dispense death,” they’re sexy.

If I can spend hours reading up on types of armor that I’ll never own and spend days playing Oblivion in search of the ultimate superweapon, a gun catalogue would be heaven.

But I’m just smart enough to know myself. If I bought a gun, I’d buy a damned fine weapon, and it wouldn’t just sit in the closet in a safety case; I’d have to take it out and look at it a lot, and I’d dress up in my Matrix trenchcoat and pose with it, and I’d probably be dumb enough to go out in the backyard and see what the hell it did when I shot a tree. Give me long enough, and I’d accidentally shoot someone while experimenting to see what the gun could do, maybe with a bad richocet, and then look phenomenally stupid when the cops showed up.

I am not responsible enough to own a gun. And that is why I do not have one.

The comment fury may now commence.

Source - http://theferrett.livejournal.com/771153.html
    Next time you're out trying to turn an anti or introduce a newbie at the range or having a discussion toward firearms with a fence sitter, keep in mind this persons words as the person in front of you just might be of this mindset. Effectively he has little faith in himself and believes himself to be weak of mind and thus may be transferring those same thoughts and fears on to you, which then support his own beliefs.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    The causes for his weakness of mind and inability to believe in himself are probably numerous enough to employ a team of shrinks for many, many months.

But one such cause is that our society (particularly the urbran subculture in the northeast part of the country...go ahead, flame me for overgeneralizing) breeds dependence, not independence.

"The police will take care of me" is just a preface to "because I can't be trusted to do it myself".

Not only are others responsible for our safety, according to such "thinking", we aren't fit to, responsible enough or capable of taking charge for ourselves, either.

It makes for fine employees (I'm self-employed- another flame-able bias), subjects (not citizens or free women) and easily-managed populations.

As a side note, I've found that "easily-managed" and "good" tend to be used synonymously, whether you're talking about school, the workplace or society at large; a non-virtue thus becoming the ONLY virtue...ugh.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Interesting article. It is true, they're projecting thier fears onto us and guns in general. Just because they are not responsible enough to own a gun doesn't mean I'm not.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

To the individual who wrote that I would say this, to quote the immortal Dirty Harry:

"A Mans' got to know his limitations"
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    But one such cause is that our society (particularly the urbran subculture in the northeast part of the country...go ahead, flame me for overgeneralizing) breeds dependence, not independence.

"The police will take care of me" is just a preface to "because I can't be trusted to do it myself".

Not only are others responsible for our safety, according to such "thinking", we aren't fit to, responsible enough or capable of taking charge for ourselves, either.

The type who expect someone else to take care of them and blame someone else when something happens to them. I find them nauseating. They are a creeping disease.

Administrator
    Although I find it a little odd that he has little self control, at least he is able to admit and understands his faults. Maybe its a cultural thing, but it is kind of sad.

I see plenty of gun owners who are like him, I just wish they would take the same stance he does and choose not to own a gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Immature and foolish

I don't know the age of the writer, but it must be more than 25, because he refers to an incident that happened when he was 25. But regardless of his calendar age, I would judge from his writing that he is mentally still a child, and not mentally or emotionally qualified for the responsibility of owning a gun.

He talks about spending days playing a video game named "Oblivion", is very familiar with illegal drugs and the related terminology, and says that if he owned a gun he would dress up like a character in the movie "Matrix" and pose with the gun. He believes that guns are designed to look "bad ass", and says that if he had one he would accidently shoot someone.

This guy certainly can't be trusted to own a gun, and it is a close call whether we should trust him to own a car or a computer. He could easily hurt himself or somebody else with such dangerous machines.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I see plenty of gun owners who are like him, I just wish they would take the same stance he does and choose not to own a gun.
    +1

The same could be said about people and their cars. Look how many deaths and injuries are caused by irresponsible drivers.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to the actual site source and check out the replies from folks.
    They are largely being serious and frank as well in their own posts, which largely are uninformed and/or are themselves persons who do not trust themselves.
    It's very interesting and revealing reading.

These are real and regular people, as opposed to say card carrying Bradyites.
    A lot of Americans have zero clue what soever when it comes to firearms as to how they function, how to handle one, the law, or anything muchless the constitution and it's purposefulness.
    This is why we saying to another thet we are 'for the constitution' or am 'pro-2A' is completely meaningless to anyone but another one of us.
    There are people in that thread that actually believe they are informed persons and in the same breath point to the UK as being an example of how removal/banning of firearms from society is a winning way (!).

The mountain we have to climb and scat to overcome thanks to false media and Hollywierd portrayals of firearms and people who possess them is high, wide, and deep. People actually and literally believe what they are fed through these venues including that if you shoot a guy with a .45 he'll go flying backwards through a plate glass window and die in mid air from one shot and that it's easy as pie to shoot a kife wielding attacker in the top of the hand to which he'll learn a lesson and go on to become a kindly old Jr.HS guidance counselor or a priest.

Seriously. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Assistant Administrator
    I think guns are simply a tool that can be used for good or evil.
    That is one good acknowledgement at least - many who hate guns only ever consider the evil side. While this is almost for sure very typical of so many people - the one redeeming feature, if we can call it such - is an apparent honesty of self appraisal.

I too will add sixto's quote .

Originally Posted by SIXTO
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Very interesting post, Janq. I've run into a number of individuals who, upon examination, have a very similar mindset. The conversation has typically started by them saying something like,

"They ought to outlaw those assault weapons."

My response usually follows:

"Why do you think YOU shouldn't be allowed to have them?"

This leads into the discussion of why their personal prerogatives should be restricted in the matter of weapons, which can lead into lots of other areas. Typically people advocate restricting rights for "them", rather than "me".
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I'm certainly glad that the people that inhabited Connecticut in the 1700's were different than this one that inhabits it now.

While I can "admire" the honesty of his personal assessment, I am left with the knowledge that a man who recognizes his personal failings, and fails to address them in positive, corrective, fashion, is not a man, but a large-bodied child, incapable of legitimate function in society. What other personal weakness is to be not simply ignored, but glorified?

"I am thus, love me..."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Although I find it a little odd that he has little self control, at least he is able to admit and understands his faults. Maybe its a cultural thing, but it is kind of sad.
    It is. It reminds me of a person who is schizophrenic, and who knows he is schizophrenic, and knows that he will be fine as long as he continues to take his medication, and knows what he is like when he does not.

The kind of mindset displayed in that article is a disease. It is no way for a person to be. I wonder if that same guy feels he can't allow himself to own a motorcycle, because if he did, he'd take that "sexy metal" and do 120mph down a local street "just to see what it could do" and kill himself.

What a loser. Must be tough, going through life trapped in a body that will do whatever it wants, with a mind that is determined to fulfill the prophecy that it has no control over what the body does. And jeepers, what a great excuse he has built in for when he does something he's not supposed to! "Hey, it was too alluring; how can I be expected to keep myself from doing that when it's just so tempting?!"

The guy has male pudendum, right? I wonder how it is that he manages to keep himself from raping women (if, indeed, he does keep himself from raping women). He strikes me as one of these immature, video-game-addicted "young adults" that modern society keeps creating, who have huge pieces of a healthy mind missing from their makeup; among them are self-control, perspective, and independence.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The mountain we have to climb and scat to overcome thanks to false media and Hollywierd portrayals of firearms and people who possess them is high, wide, and deep. People actually and literally believe what they are fed through these venues including that if you shoot a guy with a .45 he'll go flying backwards through a plate glass window and die in mid air from one shot. - Janq
    You know, whenever I criticize movies for being done in a stupid, unrealistic way, with misrepresentations of reality like you point out above, people love to let me have it: "It's only a movie, dude! Chill out! It doesn't have to be realistic."

But I understand the truth; and that is, people "learn" from movies whatever is put into them. It doesn't matter if it's represented the way it really happens or not. What they see in the movie they don't know how to differentiate from reality (because they've never seen the reality, i.e. held and fired a gun) and they come to believe that they're being shown fact.

So every time I gripe about a movie being stupid and showing guns blasting people backward, or even worse, the way they depict aviation (*groan!* ), I complain because I know that more and more people are going to be considering themselves "educated" and "knowledgeable" on whatever subject the movie presented.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links