.357 vs .45

This is a discussion on .357 vs .45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Without getting into a caliber war , I'm curious as to effectiveness of both the .357 (6" barrel ) vs .45 (1911,XD, etc ) . ...

Thread: .357 vs .45

.357 vs .45

Without getting into a caliber war , I'm curious as to effectiveness of both the .357 (6" barrel ) vs .45 (1911,XD, etc ) . What do both offer in impact energy, range, wound creation , etc . I have both and when shooting things like pumpkins , there doesn't seem to be a big difference . Any input and links would be appreciated .

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I think either one will kill whatever you shoot with it very well.

I dont think it matters if you get shot with either one.

Six of one...half dozen of the other...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As far as links go your " google fu" is most likely as strong as mine .. but here goes exactly what you DID NOT ask for . Both work well on medium sized animals ( deer , pigs , humans , fill in the blank) with good ammo. On both energy and range the .357 will win hands down , tho i have won a fair amount of bets knocking over 5 gallon buckets with various .45s at a quarter mile . As far as wound creation goes they both do it rather well . A 5" 1911 is a LOT easier to carry ccw than a 6" revolver tho . IMHO also a lot easier to shoot well with time constraints such as self defense. the .357 can be and is shot well but by many fewer than carry the ctg. it is somewhat a rompin stompin bad boy to handle fast or under duress . To put it blunt, if i were carrying in the wild with 4 legged issues primairy i would carry the .357. Were i among " polite scociety" and wanting to be armed for two legged adviserys at urban distances i would opt for the .45.

Or do as i do and carry a single stack 9mm without any worry .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? With good hits both would be effective as far as handgun rounds go. With bad hits...

Assistant Administrator
    Putting one or the other in the ideal spot - will IMO determine the efficacy of either!

I'd feel suitably prepared with either tho - like RR I carry 9mm - but large double stack
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1911 is much easier to conceal, but a good revolver is my choice as well out in the open vs 4 legged targets

You might want to check out http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm I don't remember if they did .357 but they did some other rounds agaist level III body armor. The body armor didn't interest me as much as the craters the round put in the clay behind the body armor. It gives you an idea of the energy a round has.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Links