.38 Super in a .38 Special

This is a discussion on .38 Super in a .38 Special within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for all the feedback, my wife has now "been to school" on the difference between the ...38 Super and the .38 Special". Plus I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .38 Super in a .38 Special

Thanks for all the feedback, my wife has now "been to school" on the difference between the ...38 Super and the .38 Special". Plus I now store the .38 Super ammo in a place that only I can get to.
    Any thought on the .38 Super AMT as a carry gun? It's DAO, no hammer, no safety, no sights (there is a groove that runs the entire length of the slide), so there is nothing to "hang up". It fits in my pocket great and comes out easily (I do use a pocket holster)
    Also, any one know anything about the semi marked FEG HUNGARY?
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpsVet View Post
    Also, any one know anything about the semi marked FEG HUNGARY?
    Check here. This page lists many of the FEG pistols that are currently imported into the US. Three of them are .380s.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Thanks for the link. Comparing the photos to the gun, it appears that it is a B9R, they list it as a .380. It's marked 9mm Browning Short, but I am going to take it to an expert to make sure it is a .380.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the link. Comparing the photos to the gun, it appears that it is a B9R, they list it as a .380. It's marked 9mm Browning Short, but I am going to take it to an expert to make sure it is a .380.
    9mm Browning Short, 9mm Browning Court, 9 x 17 mm, 9 mm Kurz, 9 mm Corto, 9 mm Court, 9 mm Short, 9 mm Kratak, 9 mm Scurt are all .380 Auto. Some ammo lists other names. I have a box of Sellier and Bellot that says 9mm Browning Court/.380 Auto.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Redneck, both the AMT and the EAA are in .38 Super, they are clearly markek as such, and I have fired both. The question involved putting .38 Super into a .38, since the round will fit into the cylinder.
    As stated above, the .38 Super has almost 3x the chamber pressure as a .38 Special.

I wouldn't even try it in a .357 gun. You never know.

Any thought on the .38 Super AMT as a carry gun? It's DAO, no hammer, no safety, no sights (there is a groove that runs the entire length of the slide), so there is nothing to "hang up".
    That's what the AMT was designed for. .38 Super is a high-energy low-recoil round, that's why it's used for gun-games so often. The high speed of the bullet makes up for it's low weight and allows the round to qualify for use in IDPA and IPSC. Not sure of the exact rules, but that's my general understanding.

For SD it's probably at least as adequate as 9mm, but spendy for ammo. If it suits you, go for it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The biggest drawback of using a .38 Super for SD is that so few of the modern SD bullets are commercially loaded for .38 Super.

And then there's the .38 S&W which again, is not the same as a .38 SPL.

I have no idea if they will fit, fire or damage the gun. I just know a friend of mine who had a Ruger Speed Six .357 magnum bought a box of .38 S&W thinking they were .38 Spl and I had to tell him they were different rounds. He ended up taking them back and exchanged them for the correct ammo.

I believe the .38 S&W is a shorter round than the .38 Spl, but I have no first hand knowledge.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

AutoFan, the rounds that came with the pistols are Winchester Silvertips. I have no idea how good a SD round they are. I am considering using the AMT as a carry gun. Does anyone know of a good SD round in .38 Super?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    And then there's the .38 S&W which again, is not the same as a .38 SPL.
    I believe the .38 S&W is a shorter round than the .38 Spl, but I have no first hand knowledge.
    Here are some of the rounds mentioned. From left to right: .357 Mag, .38 Special, .38 S&W, .38 Super, .380 Auto.
    Attached Images
    George

VIP Member
    AutoFan, the rounds that came with the pistols are Winchester Silvertips. I have no idea how good a SD round they are. I am considering using the AMT as a carry gun. Does anyone know of a good SD round in .38 Super?
    I can't tell you what is the best SD round or even a good one, but I can give you a link to some. .38 Super
    George

The .38 Super appeared in IPSC back in the early '80s when guys like Robbie Leatham and Jerry Barnhart were looking for an edge. The IPSC "power factor" was what they were having to meet in order to compete with these pistols. the power factor is determined by taking the weight of the projectile and multiplying it by its velocity. then take the result and divide it by 1000; the result of that is your ammunitions' power factor. In the good old days of IPSC, it used to be 175; just about any load out of .45 would make it, but 9mm and lesser calibers could not. the intent of the founders of IPSC was not to necessarily rule out anything except 1911s, but they wanted to make sure there were no "mouse" loads either. the typical load I used in my open gun was 13 grains of AA7 powder with a 115 grain bullet. the velocity this load generated around 1550-1590fps. and completely removed muzzle flip in the weapon.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Sounds like you are somewhat of an "expert" on the .38 Super, and carry one for SD. Do you have any advise on a factory SD load?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links