Trouble with the Pops

Trouble with the Pops

This is a discussion on Trouble with the Pops within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So here's the situation. I live in a very high tourist area of Michigan. On Memorial Day weekend we have a ton of people come. ...

Trouble with the Pops

So here's the situation. I live in a very high tourist area of Michigan. On Memorial Day weekend we have a ton of people come. Because of the nature of the attraction of my area most of these people are pretty rough around the edges and usually extremely drunk. This creates an unusually overall dangerous just everyday situation. So today I went to go out for a horse back ride, and didn't think twice about grabbing my 30-30 to throw on my saddle just in case something should happen (not so much for my safety but for my girlfriends). Well my father who is president of the camp that I keep my horses at and ride on the camps land had other idea's because it's a Christian camp and he didn't want that kind of image. I've carried the gun while I ride a lot, and I hunt this property all the time. I'm not sure what changed in his mind. Anyways there's not a whole lot of other spots to ride around here and we have over six hundred acres of undeveloped woods to ride. I'm not going to let a bunch of crazies keep me from riding, but I feel much more comfortable with some more protection than just a fast horse. Because I ride colts I don't carry concealed very much while I ride because I have gotten bucked off and landed on my gun before. Not good for the gun or me. Any suggestions on how to get pops to come back around would be great.

Assistant Administrator
    Right now - sad to say - I see no obvious answer. I guess it is of course his call - however much you may disagree with it.

Probably the only approach would be in depth discussion - to try and see why he perceives the ''image'' would be damaged. From here I see no problem but then I would be feeling as you do in this situation!!

No help - sorry. Unless I come up with some whizz solution later!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95 hit it im not sure how you could change him other than have a calm talk and see what the problem is ...

Not around the Mio area per chance are ya ?

You might tell him that the rifle you carry is more for feral dogs and rabid animals than it is for people. Explain to him that it's just a tool for the prevention of an incident more than it is for the creation of one. You might also discuss with him Luke, 22:36.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    There is no simple answer other than to move.

In fact, even without the rifle issue, move anyway.

You have flatlanders to your 6 and the yoopers up north.

You're screwed. Come to Wisconsin. I'll give you cheese and we can both ***** about this tragic regional peril. Bring your rifle.

Administrator

Thumbs up The Age old Answer ~ A good Revolver Or Pistol &....

Saddle Bags

Or Better Yet! You can buy a Saddle Pommel Bag w/ a built in holster under one flap. Shop around on the web. ~
    [IMG]
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    There is no simple answer other than to move.

In fact, even without the rifle issue, move anyway.

You have flatlanders to your 6 and the yoopers up north.

You're screwed. Come to Wisconsin. I'll give you cheese and we can both ***** about this tragic regional peril. Bring your rifle.
    Yoopers don't care if yer carrying,eh. I think a full scabbrd for your rifle or a pistol saddlebag would work nicely and keep a low profile.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Rocky,

Oh, I never questioned the yoopers strong love in firearms. In fact, their love rivals my own.

However, in my area, we have a lot of "lawn furniture." You know, little gnomes, birds, water fountains and, alas, cement casts of whitetail deer.

You know the 'fever' that befalls a yooper when he thinks he sees "dat turty point buck, eh."

Man, we would have shot up plaster from the Porkies to Sheboygan.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Saddle Bags.... Or Better Yet! You can buy a Saddle Pommel Bag w/ a built in holster under one flap. Shop around on the web. ~
    QKShooter stole my thunder, get a pommel bag to carry your carry gun in....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

much appreciated

First off, Tourist as much as I appreciate the offer and I do enjoy my visits to Wisconsin, I don't think I can handle all that cheese so I suppose I'll either stay here in Michigan, or move somewhere outwest away from cheese, flatlanders, and yoopers. Like I think I said I do carry my 30-30 in a saddle scabbard and apparently a full faced scabbard was too much of an image problem. The saddle bag idea is a great idea, and I have shopped for them, just a matter of saving up a few pennies. I reckon I ought to have a chat with my dad, thanks for the input, any other idea's would be great.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    What kind of "image" does a lever action rifle in a saddle scabbard convey? And how is it not Christian? You need to get those questions answered.

Personally, I can't think of a gun that has a better image, aside from maybe a classic over/under shotgun.

I don't know where you are in MI, but I can remember from when I was growing up there hearing about black bears and wolves, personally seeing coyotes, feral dogs running down deer, rattlers, and raccoons (nasty and not unusual to carry rabies). Have cougars made a recovery in MI like they have in other parts of the country? Aside from the snakes, that rifle sounds like a prudent precaution to me.

Also, discussing your concerns about human predators is not unreasonable - hardly a day goes by without hearing about some young person gone missing, too many that end in tragedy.

I agree with the others as far as sitting down with your dad and talking about why he does not wish for you to carry while you ride on the property, but on the other hand you have to abide by his wishes. If you feel the need to carry and your dad will not allow it then simply take your horse and board him at a different location that will allow you to carry. My only concern if I were in your position would be animals I might come across while riding and I would not worry about other people trying to harm you since it is a lot of land your riding on. (unless your riding through some bad neighborhoods)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    Rocky,

Oh, I never questioned the yoopers strong love in firearms. In fact, their love rivals my own.

However, in my area, we have a lot of "lawn furniture." You know, little gnomes, birds, water fountains and, alas, cement casts of whitetail deer.

You know the 'fever' that befalls a yooper when he thinks he sees "dat turty point buck, eh."

Man, we would have shot up plaster from the Porkies to Sheboygan.

Ya, we Yoopers need to keep in practice for da huntin season eh.

Cool Carrying in the woods.

Ok, your dad isn’t anti gun right? MI has a CCW law which allows you to carry concealed and without anyone else knowing your carrying. So ask Dad to compromise and you carry a small snubbie in your pocket or in a smartcarry holster. Nobody will know your carrying unless you tell them.

I live out in the woods of MI and you’d be surprised the people you come in contact with. You have the right to protect yourself.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Livin in the woods.....feelin mighty good!
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Links