Hell Just Froze Over!

Hell Just Froze Over!

This is a discussion on Hell Just Froze Over! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wife said for first time in 25 years she'd go to the range with me. Conneticut murders followed by 48 hour (i think) show about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hell Just Froze Over!

Distinguished Member

Hell Just Froze Over!

Wife said for first time in 25 years she'd go to the range with me. Conneticut murders followed by 48 hour (i think) show about stalker who broke into a home and murdered girl and guy. And they knew he was coming! I have a Mossberg Home Defense with light by my bed and my .357 S&W under the bed. I told her we had a pretty good chance of making it when I am home but not when I travel. Looking apprehensively at the weapons she agreed to learn to shoot for self defense. There is a God. We go next Wednesday. Ladies shoot free at Marksman!
    I'll report back on how it went.

good goin' ! Best of luck with her....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Glad she agreed. Make sure her first trip is a pleasant one. Don't make my mistake. My daughter was just learning but hadn't shot the .357 yet. She asked me if it had much kick. Being used to the .357 magnum rounds in my sp101, I said it's not bad at all. Well, I went from Mom, to MOTHER. Seems she noticed a bit of recall. Luckily, she wasn't scared off and had the "if Mom can do it so can I" attitude.

Congrats...and it will get better. Be sure to keep talking to her about the news reports as often as possible.

I've been married 36 years and it took 32 years to get my wife thinking about SD...another year to get her permit and weapon...and just during this LAST year...she has started taking a weapon with her almost every time she leaves the house.

It takes time...develop some 'positive' associations...
    Go to the range, stop at a jewelry store on the way home, etc.,...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I'm happy that she decided to take your advice. But from the title of your post, I was expecting Hillary Clinton to have announced as pro 2A!

Good deal!! Some friendly advice. Make it fun as posible. Compliment her. Even if she misses the back stop. Compliment her.

great news,,

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I'm happy that she decided to take your advice. But from the title of your post, I was expecting Hillary Clinton to have announced as pro 2A!
    Squawker, didn't you hear? Hillary's packin' heat! Bill's self control has noticeably improved as well.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    HOOO RAAA! Get her to the range now before she changes her mind.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Looking apprehensively at the weapons she agreed to learn to shoot for self defense. There is a God. We go next Wednesday. Ladies shoot free at Marksman!
    Nothing is freezing this summer in Tucson.

Congratulations on getting her to shoot. She will have a great time.

Which Marksman? Do ladies shoot free at both locations? Just on Wednesdays?

Everyone is right. Make it as pleasent as possible....no pressure. Take her out for a nice dinner afterward and remember the positive renforcement. She has made a good choice for herself and her family and deserves You might suggest she come here also. There are many women who do....like me. We might be able to assist from a woman's point of view. I know everyone here would be happy to help make her choice a more comfortable one. Let her know we are behind her in spirit.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That's great news! Train her well.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    ... murders followed by ... stalker who broke into a home and murdered girl and guy ... [followed by] ...

Looking apprehensively at the weapons she agreed to learn to shoot for self defense.
    Sometimes, that's what it takes. I'm glad for both of you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I had talked to one of the guys at the range I go to about the best way to get my wife to shoot. He said, "Watch the news with her and talk about it with her." Worked well. He also mentioned that the worst person to teach her how to shoot would be me. You may want to get one of the people at the range to teach her the basics and even rent a smaller, less recoil weapon for her to learn with and later purchase for her. I did and so far it has cost me a few hundred but she is shooting a gun that she chose...Kel-Tek PK32. She also fires a few rounds of .45 or 9mm "just to see if it kicks any less than last time." It has also helped for her to see and talk to other women at the range, especially women that shoot. Ladies day would be a prefect opportunity for that type of interaction. Finally, be prepared to be bested by a better marksperson...and brag on her to all your shooting buddies! Their wives will call her with a report on all that you told their husbands...so keep it very upbeat and positive when talking to anyone about how much better she is a hitting the target than you are. It will pay off in every room in the house...if you catch my meaning....and she will be a proud, pistol packin' mama soon. Best of luck and stay safe.

Side note: I, too, looked at the title of your post and thought that maybe Hillary had come around...
    Last edited by citizen510; August 21st, 2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: side note
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Distinguished Member
    Excellent posts, here. Lots of wisdom. Will take you up on getting someone from Marksman to help her. Shooting on the east side Marksman (29th). Will check on the Wednesday free shoot but I'm pretty sure it's still a go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links