Reloading "Almost" Newby

Reloading "Almost" Newby

This is a discussion on Reloading "Almost" Newby within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have talked my wife into letting me start reloading. I am not sure it is for me, so I have went to the local ...

Reloading "Almost" Newby

I have talked my wife into letting me start reloading. I am not sure it is for me, so I have went to the local library and searched the internet on what it takes to get started.

I have come to the conclusion that a LEE press might get me started. I am going to be reloading mainly for the purpose of my new .32 H&R Magnum (Whew! Ammo is high as ****.)

I figure until I get this then a scoop measurer and a Lee press with get me going.
    I will probably move on to 9mm some day, but the .32 H&R is the primary reason.

Could anyone give me there thoughts on if this low cost press is a good way to break into the hobby?

Thank you.

Assistant Administrator
    Let me look and see if I can find a link - where we discussed much of this ............. a search on 'reloading' might turn up quite a lot.

Here's one link - one more I want to find for you

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=30038

Here's the other

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=30320

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now - I use Lee and have for years - it's good value IMO but well slower than more expensive methods.

However - there is much IMO to recommend starting with a slower pace - less chance for mistakes and later you can upgrade if you want to get into high production ... Dillon 550 or 650 maybe.

That said - because I started Lee decades ago - and have added turrets and many die sets - I am well enough equipped to suit my needs. recently over a few weeks loaded many 1,000's of rounds of various cals.

A scoop measure is ''OK'' - but you should have some scales to properly check your powder charge - starting always at around 10% of quoted max.

Lee 2nd Edition Reloading Manual is full of info and loads and if you can find a Lyman #47 and maybe Speer $13 - you'll have some good reference data. Dean Grennell's ''ABC's of Reloading'' - while an old book is worth getting if you can find one.

Check those other threads and drop back with further questions if we can help.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

sorry for not searching.

thanks for the many words of advice.

P95Carry,

I have a question about the Lee Progressive 32 long and H&R model.

Seems like I would like to have a set of 9mm and 32 H&R that are set, and matched so that I can have an expectation of working without much adjustment. Do you agree or not?

Also if you get a progressive that does all in a few pulls how do you trim your casings?

Thanks.

Assistant Administrator
    I confess I have never used a Lee progressive - I use turret presses and also single station presses.

This means I can have a turret set up with a die set (and powder measure) for each and every cal - and so for that all I change is turret and shell holder when changing cals.

Not sure quite what you mean by ''set of 9mm and 32 H&R that are set, and matched " ........ these are two distinct cal die sets.

Progressives will not take into account case lengths and trimming - that is a separate operation with a case trimmer deal. Mind you - with parallel cases like most handgun cals - trimming is not too much of a needed operation. 9mm and 45 acp maybe because they headspace on the case - but .32 and .38spl and .357 are less critical because rimmed. It'll take many reloads IMO for any significant ''stretch'' to be a problem with rimless handgun cases loaded to normal parameters.

Bottle neck cases are where trimming becomes most important - and that will be mainly rifle cals - tho 7.62x25 and .357 SIG could require some attention on case length after some reloads.
    Chris - P95

gotcha. i understand about the case trimming. i kind of figured that about the revolver casings.

Not sure quite what you mean by ''set of 9mm and 32 H&R that are set, and matched " ........ these are two distinct cal die sets.
    sorry to be so vague. Lee offers a .32 H&R Magnum set for $132.00 from Midway. comes with dies for that round. it comes with a powder dispenser. and is progressive. they also offer it in 9mm same setup. i was thinking having two different presses one for each would be a good thing.

you know. i think that the single press, or even the hand press might get me started. i am thinking that if i can spend an hour or two for a couple days to get 50 to 100 rounds finished then that would let me know if i feel up to progressing into this hobby. it will allow me to start relatively cheap.

they also offer a $89.00 with scales and book. I am really excited because one of the links you sent me had picture instructions with a really basic hand kit that helped me understand the basics, and steps. I feel that if I do get into this, I would want to go with a basic setup because I like to learn trades from the ground up.

well if I have any more question I will send them to you, but for now I am going to order something less complicated than a progressive for my .32 H&R Magnum and see how it goes. if I like it then the 9mm maybe, but that is pretty cheap anyway.

I got to have it for the .32 H&R though. Geez!

Assistant Administrator
    i think that the single press, or even the hand press might get me started. i am thinking that if i can spend an hour or two for a couple days to get 50 to 100 rounds finished then that would let me know if i feel up to progressing into this hobby. it will allow me to start relatively cheap.
    It really is IMO worth starting real basic .... may be slow but - get a feel for the whole process. Your investment is quite modest and ... at least you can turn out some ammo even if slower. Hand press might be a tad tedious but single station is good - it'll be useful later for decapping or sizing bullets, even if you upgrade to better things.

I assume without checking ... you are relatively young so - no prob's starting simple and building from there. I do think reloading is way to go even more now as prices rise. It sure has saved me a bunch and all my gear is long paid for.

Good example ------- Hornady .454 Casull now has to be probably over $1 a pop ----- my reloads even with costly XTP bullets are 25c!!! I even now reload 9mm again because of prices.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    It really is IMO worth starting real basic .... may be slow but - get a feel for the whole process. Your investment is quite modest and ... at least you can turn out some ammo even if slower. Hand press might be a tad tedious but single station is good - it'll be useful later for decapping or sizing bullets, even if you upgrade to better things.

I assume without checking ... you are relatively young so - no prob's starting simple and building from there. I do think reloading is way to go even more now as prices rise. It sure has saved me a bunch and all my gear is long paid for.

Good example ------- Hornady .454 Casull now has to be probably over $1 a pop ----- my reloads even with costly XTP bullets are 25c!!! I even now reload 9mm again because of prices.
    Then slow and efficient it is. To answer your assumption I am 32..
    As for price of ammo. The .32 H&R Magnum is about the same as your .454 per round. That is really cool that you got the cost down to 1/4 the retail.

Thinking about it more, and looking more on the internet. I feel that a 1 step at a time process is best for me anyway. I do things that way. one process until it is finished. then the next and the next. So something complicated like pull once, feed with right hand and the release and feed with left, etc, etc seems like a path to disaster from me being a complete novice.

In the next coming weeks I will let you know how things are going.

Once again thank you for your time, and sharing you knowledge.

Links