Oy gevault, "condition white" - Page 2

Oy gevault, "condition white"

This is a discussion on Oy gevault, "condition white" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by The Tourist 'Soldier, Your mention of locked doors when sleeping brings me to another aspect of constant vigilance. I don't really want ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oy gevault, "condition white"

Wink Just a little rest....

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    'Soldier,

Your mention of locked doors when sleeping brings me to another aspect of constant vigilance. I don't really want it to be "constant."

As bad as that sounds and as much as I want to be realistic about security, there are just some times when I want to lay that heavy armor down.

For example, if I am out to dinner with friends. I want a glass of wine, and I want to relax.

If I go to church for deep thought or the need of spirituality.

If I just want to be home, eat, and play with the pups.

In each of those scenarios we can all nod our heads and agree that man needs to unwind. And yet, in any of those scenarios we can all cite cases where attacks have happened, and that's my point.

It's easy to lapse. And there are times I just don't want the job. I know better.
    ~SIGH~ I know EXACTLY how you feel. There are times when I too, will just ignore that little voice inside me (one that has in the past saved my life more than once) when it reminds me that I should really put on a holster and a spare mag to go along with the Glock or Sig or whatever I SHOULD be carrying. And I just say Well, I'm too tired... or more frequently these days: It's too hot to wear a cover garment...etc

If we're just going out to a nice relaxing dinner, and a movie I'll generally make do with a SureFire and a knife (spyderco) in my pocket. But I always feel guilty. It's not a matter of slipping out of "Condition Yellow" that is just so second nature I'm not even aware of it until some slimeball triggers my "spidey sense." But when that happens as it sometimes does, two simultaneous lines of thought run thru my mind.

If I'm armed I thank the Lord and then I usually think, "Gee, what if I hadn't been carrying tonight? Would I have sacrificed my life and that of my wife?" If I'm NOT armed, I think "OH $H**!" where is the nearest cover and concealment? How far am I from the car? How many and how close? 'Course those same things run thru my mind if that happens and I'm armed, but I leave out the expletive and worry a lot less, LOL.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    with a SureFire and a knife (spyderco) in my pocket
    This, too, is about the bare minimum for me. I usually have the Razor Knife in my back pocket; not as a weapon, per se, it's just a work knife and that's where it rides. If I have time to react, however, it's the one I'll pull.

My picks are the SureFire E1e and Spyderco Li'l Temperance. I've ridden so little that I haven't even felt the need to switch over to more "sickle savvy" implements. As if by magic, a Glock can appear.

Depending on style of dress, I sometimes "mouse gun" my wardrobe with a .380 ACP. Yeah, yeah, I know all of the arguments and I believe it's a second choice option at best. I hate these situational ethics type debates, but practicality sometimes is trump.

Talking Mouse Guns? Got Ya Beat

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    Depending on style of dress, I sometimes "mouse gun" my wardrobe with a .380 ACP.
    My only "mouse gun" is a NAA mini-derringer in .22LR with a 5 shot cylinder that you have to REMOVE to load and unload. It vanishes in the palm of my hand. If I ever have to use it, I'd better not show it to the perp, he's liable to die laughing. I think my only hope is to jam it into an eye and pull the trigger. One reason I have it stoked with .22LR TRACER ammo.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Ex - my bare minimum would be NAA mini too - tho 22 mag. very ''last resort''!

Have to say tho - these days - going anywhere, carry comes first. Somehow, anyhow - I WILL carry and preferably nothing less than the R9 - dress has to be accomodated around that! No half measures!

I am so aware (NOT paranoia!) - that the one time without just might be THAT one and only time I save my bacon or that of someone dear. So - 100% for me - has to be.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I am so aware (NOT paranoia!) - that the one time without just might be THAT one and only time I save my bacon or that of someone dear.
    I'm not paranoid, either. Just ask all those guys who keep following me everywhere!

But I have to agree, I'm just certain that the ONE time I don't carry, the balloon will go up and I'll be there empty handed. And subsequently dead.

There's something in the wind...can't you feel it? Something very B-A-D is headed our way. When it hits this country is going to go berserk. Just a feeling.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    dress has to be accomodated around that! No half measures!
    Oh, I tell myself the same thing, and then curse my own weakness for choosing comfort. And I am going to have the lining of my jacket rebuilt/re-cut to accomodate a better firearm.

The temptation is that the .380 ACP is carried "off body." No straps, no chafing from Summer Specials. Just scoop up the day-planner and hit the bricks.

And it takes more than resolve. I'm hitting the gym harder so my pants will allow a IWB. I've never known one or two silly inches to be such a long way!

sm
    Great Thread!!

Personally - I was raised in an enviornment where one didn't stay unaware of surroundings or be prepared. Only time we were not - when asleep. I get older and hear this Col. Cooper has given colors to various states of awareness.

Now back growing up we had/ didn't have certain gubmint laws. WE always had OUR perceptions of Reality - laws about personal responsibility - like guns. Basically if the former got in the way of the later...stick with the later. Dead is forever.

Sad to say some are complacent. Fortunatley some folks survive,prompting them / family / friends to change ideas and perceptions about personal safety. Worse is the person has to die for this to occur to family/ friends.

Tacky ******* I am - I have taken folks to visit with a person that survived an attack, see the disfigurement, loss of an eye, limb, emotional strain of rape...

...have a dad and son show a lady the wedding pics, the newborn pics...then show the pics from the attack, taken in the ER...then hand them the Urn with the ashes sitting on the mantle all left of a mom and wife..

'Just be a few minutes , gonna make a diaper run...' Wife headed out, dad is bathing the kid...next call is the Po-po.

Hell of a way to change a single mom's mind...it worked tho'.
    Use Enough Gun

There ain't no way in hell I can change my daughter-in-law mind about protect herself and be careful She is a professional woman( a term) who has been working independly for 20 years or more, sleeping in her car so she doesn't have to drive home at nights after working long hours. She has my son converted the same way, not a problem out there.
    There are people like this that have zero run in's and nver have a situation, then there are guys who seem to have an event every other day. So why do we need guns???
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    It ain't paranoia, if they're out to get you.
    And as we all know, there are plenty of goblins to go around.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links