1911Two piece guide rods

This is a discussion on 1911Two piece guide rods within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a Springfield Lightweight Operator for a nightstand gun. I was futzing with it Sunday night and found out the instruction manual was ...

Thread: 1911Two piece guide rods

1911Two piece guide rods

I picked up a Springfield Lightweight Operator for a nightstand gun. I was futzing with it Sunday night and found out the instruction manual was either 1.Outdated or 2.Too generic for words. The instructions say to pull the slide back until you see a hole in the guide rod, and insert a "retention device" (paper clip) in the hole...ala Kimber.
    I never did find the hole. I looked in the box and found the oh so wonderful keys for the ILS junk, and a rather large allen key. Too large for the grip screw..AH HA! Two piece guide rod.
    This is the fist 2 piece I've ever owned. What's the easiest way to tear down a 1911 with a two piece guide rod.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

2. Remove Ads

un screw front half then break down like normal 1911

then throw 2 piece guide rod in garbage replace with gi set up call it good..

the two piece like to unscrew but look really cool flying down range as your shooting

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post

then throw 2 piece guide rod in garbage replace with gi set up call it good..

the two piece like to unscrew but look really cool flying down range as your shooting
    Yep, seen that happen twice You should see the look on the shooters face...priceless

OD*
    What's the easiest way to tear down a 1911 with a two piece guide rod.
    Removed the slide stop and take the slide, barrel, recoil spring and recoil spring guide off as one piece.

Then follow Bud's advice.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post

then throw 2 piece guide rod in garbage
    Agreed there. I happen to like a properly fitted FLGR, though, so... "Properly sized", means your bushing will clear it, for normal takedown. To each their own.

I've never understood the need for them, except for my Kimber Ultra CDP, which has a double spring. Same goes for beavertails and ambi safeties. And I've been shooting them for almost 50 years.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Beavertails I get..ambis I NEED (LH shooter)
    I don't see anything good about a two piece guide rod
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yep, seen that happen twice You should see the look on the shooters face...priceless
    Ouch that's got to be a sight .
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

If you have a bull barrel, the standard guide rod will be a necessity. As far as they are concerned, I really don't care. My primary carry gun, a Springfiled Champion doesn't have one. It probably will when I drop a bull barrel in it later this year. My STI Spartan I converted to a GI style because it is going to be a pure fighting gun when I get finished with it.

If you must have a guide rod, check out Dawson precision; My old buddy Dave has some pretty cool guide rods that do not require a takedown tool at all, it is machined into the rod itself. They are also made in Tungsten as well if you like the extra weight up front.

Good Luck
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Two-piece guide rods are baggage in my view.

Links