Introduced Grandson to shooting

This is a discussion on Introduced Grandson to shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Grandson is 12 years old and has just recently started to show some interest in shooting. So I had a day off work during ...

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

My Grandson is 12 years old and has just recently started to show some interest in shooting. So I had a day off work during the middle of the week and one of my co workers did also. So he brought his son and I loaded up the Grandson and off to the range we went.
    We started off with safety instructions and then turned them loose with the 22's. Worked on some sighting and trigger control and both boys did great. My buddy and I had the boys take a break and we did a little pistol shooting. My buddy had his Glock 17 with him and my Grandson wanted to try shooting it. He did great with the 9mm so I let him try my XD45. He did a great job with the recoil. He kept wanting more. So my buddy handed him his Kimber and he again had no problem.
    Now my Grandson is a bit on the small side so I was really impressed that he could shoot the 45s with no problems. By the end of our shooting session we had many people just watching the kids enjoying themselves and talking about how great it is to see the next generation of shooters in action. On the drive home my Grandson asked if I will take him hunting. Talk about music to my ears. So it looks like we will be doing some squirrel hunting this Fall to get his feet wet. Just wanted to share a great experience with all of you.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Congratulations! It is always wonderful to read things like this, bringing up the next generation.

While I am nowhere near grandparent stage, I do look forwar to the day my children are able to start shooting and hunting. Its a family thing.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

congrats mike,,im gonna start my 11 year old daughter this week,,,it is great taking the kids with you shooting too the range,,the excitement they have,,,

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    By the end of our shooting session we had many people just watching the kids enjoying themselves and talking about how great it is to see the next generation of shooters in action.
    I probably would have done the same thing. Good sessions like this don't happen frequently enough. They seem downright rare, actually. Kudos on the successful session! Whatever else it may be, spending quality time nurturing someone's passions and interests is always a good thing. A wee tot no longer.

Looks like birthday presents might be a bit simpler, from here on out. A Ruger 10/20, ammo, a range bag, targets, his own personal/private stapler, ...

On the drive home my Grandson asked if I will take him hunting. Talk about music to my ears. So it looks like we will be doing some squirrel hunting this Fall to get his feet wet.

He might well not like it. But, you'll both know by the second or third outing. If he's already done fishing and doesn't bat an eye with the gutting, he'll probably do fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Lucky man, mine are girls and no interest

when you first take people shooting ,grown-ups as well as kids , the ooooooh guns i'm doing something bad doesn't even show up. just the look of pure joy ,and pride of being able to handle a firearm .
    then they kind of listen to the media and teachers with the "humm what else were you wrong about ?" look.
    on those days that i take newbs i rarely fire 50 rounds . and i enjoy it more .. almost . lol

congrats on the intro ,sounds like gramps has got a new best friend .

elance

Good for you, that's the way to pave the future for gun ownership, the shooting sports and protecting our 2nd Amendment rights. Shooting was a hobby I shared with my dad from a young age. Introduced my stepsons and my daughter too, they enjoy it.

nn
    I know what you mean about the girls. We have two daughters and no boys. Tried turning them onto shooting, hunting and fishing but with little luck. So I had to wait until one of them blessed us with a Grandson. My other daughter gave of a beautiful Granddaughter but she is not drawn to shooting either.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE=ccw9mm;461273]Looks like birthday presents might be a bit simpler, from here on out. A Ruger 10/20, ammo, a range bag, targets, his own personal/private stapler, ...

Funny you should mention the gift idea. Our Family all went out to dinner the other night and we were talking about how well the Grandson did and my oldest daughter (who has recently lost her husband) told him that he could have her husbands 22 rifle. So he is good to go for now.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

twin grandchildren eight years old

Great to hear you all are teaching your grandchildren the safety and art of shooting. My twin grandchildren boy and girl eight years old started their first lesson when they were six years old. Now they can both shoot not only their 22's but both my m1 carbines it feels great to know that another generation is coming up and being trained the right way congratulations to us grandpa's that take their time to teach their grandchildren.

Nice day. It's always nice to hear these kind of stories.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Good job Mike!

Thumbs up Good News

That's great!
    U.S. Army Veteran

Congratulations on bringing up another generation of fine Americans who understand and appreciate their rights.

Well done Sir!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

One of our grandsons is from Belgium. He came here to live and go to school with his dad and my daughter. He is 17 and a great football (yes, OUR football) kicker and has a scholarship to college. My hubby took him out shooting for the first time. He loved it. He is now looking forward to becoming a "full" American and getting into Law Enforcement....his major in college. I wish I could have gone, but I had to watch the 5 year old grand daughter.
    I look forward to going to the range with hubby, grandson, daughter, and son in law to continue this family tradition. I know my dad is looking down at us and smiling.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Links