New toys, or the extremes of the Sig handgun catalog come home

This is a discussion on New toys, or the extremes of the Sig handgun catalog come home within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, after much tribulation, my Sig Mosquito showed up today while I was filling in for the local shop owner who was down with some ...

Thread: New toys, or the extremes of the Sig handgun catalog come home

New toys, or the extremes of the Sig handgun catalog come home

So, after much tribulation, my Sig Mosquito showed up today while I was filling in for the local shop owner who was down with some medical problems. I was very pleased, as a cross-communication with Sig had informed me that my order wasn't due to ship until today. Make that very, very pleased - because it arrived about five minutes after I was disappointed.

First examination of the firearm was that it's about a medium-frame automatic- nowhere near as small as a Walther P22, bigger than a PPK, but certainly not a Sig 226. Controls and layout were comfortable, even with my extremely large, oversized hands. Takedown is a breeze compared to most other .22 autos - requiring no tools, no hassle, and resembling a Makarov or a Sig 232's takedown mechanism.

I'd already read the manual, so I knew what to expect in that regard. I'd read some of the horror stories about ammunition compatibility with the new Sig Mosquito online, and SigArms included an insert recommending high-velocity .22LR ammo for use in the firearm. I'll agree with them to a point, but the biggest thing I've noted is that it wants to see jacketed bullets (even the cheap copper-washed that aren't a proper jacket). Mine ran today for an entire box of cheap green box Remington Game Loads straight from Sig, no hiccup. I was pleased, as I had brought with a couple of boxes of more expensive stuff to the basement range and as long as it would eat a few hundred of the cheap beasts before cleaning, I'd be happy.

Once I closed the shop, I went out to the range with a couple friends and the three of us proceeded to pull the trigger and load mags for 300+ rounds before any problem not attributable to dud ammo (the bane of cheap .22LR, about 1 in a hundred). The gun warmed up like an actual firearm around the chamber, and I decided to switch to the lead round nose CCI Stingers everyone had warned me about. First round didn't sizzle as nearly as much as the Remington. Cycling was problematic for both magazines, and I got particularly proficient at the tap, rack, bang, made easy on the Mosquito by the oversized ejection port. I did a quick slide removal and looked in the chamber - leading was visible, fouling was everywhere, the gun was oozing soot. I figured I'd see if it would run on the Remington some more, and it continued to do so without issue for another 150 rounds before the slide began to not release with the lever and required an actual slingshot to operate. Soon thereafter, within another four magazines, it began to actually fail to cycle, and I called it a day.

Between the three of us loading and shooting as fast as humanly possible with two mags and the determination of the crazed, 500 rounds were expended before the initial cleaning. I recommend pipe cleaners to clean under the slide stop and the small areas on the underside of the slide - that's where the fouling that eventually stopped the gun up was present. After a routine cleaning otherwise, it's back to normal.

Accuracy wasn't measured in any formal sense - this was a plink and spray fest at its finest. Rocks, shotgun hulls, pop cans, plant life, anything that looked inviting and was a safe target downrange was liberally doused with lead. It hit what it aimed at, and I was surprised to find myself just pointing and shooting like I do with the full-sized 226 and getting similar results once I focused on the fact that the gun is a hair smaller than the real thing.

I've never actually been excited about a .22LR auto before - but this was one that left me in a good mood after a very, very trying month.

I suppose it would be tacky to mention that I also acquired a CPO (certified pre-owned) Sig 226 in .357 Sig today too. It looked virtually unfired with a couple minor dings on the rear slide rails (standard for a 226 with a stainless slie), and came with two factory 12 rounders. I've never been a big fan of the .40, but the .357 Sig reminds me more of a ******* stepchild of the .45 and 9mm in recoil and punch than anything I've fired, and I have this thing about lots of boom in unexpected packages. I snuck downstairs to put a mag through it to test for function, keeping everything in a couple inch group at 7 yards on a quick function test. It shoots just like my other 226s, except with more push and more zing.

At the later range visit, I discovered that the .357 Sig is a heck of an entertaining cartridge. The boom attracted the attention of the local hunter's ed class in a nearby berm, over hunting rifles and shotguns.

A word to the experimenters out there- the MecGar 17 round 9mm mags hold 14 .357 Sigs without incident and lock the slide back reliably. A couple hundred rounds through it as well and I was done with my quick journey through the extremes of the calibers in the Sig line.

Photo below is a size comparison against a full-sized Sig 226.

I'm unsure which one I like more, and this was the most fun range trip I've had in a while. When you're up to my collection of guns and go regularly, it's fun to discover something new now and again, and well, I suspect these will be fun guns not just today but a few months down the road.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

2. Remove Ads

I didnt even know the Sig 22's are out yet ... Sounds weird they want you to shoot a jacketed 22 bullet... who makes one..lol

Glad you happy with it ...

The 357 sig is exciting more so in a ported gun with corbon's would have kept my 229 but just to unfriendly for my shooting style.

Lead Moderator
    Over at the SIG Forum, the word is the .22 is a 9mm 226 that lost weight! It's scaled down to about 90%.

I haven't seen one yet, but I'd like my next SIG to be a 229 in 357.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sig Mosquito

I am really looking forward to your detailed range/accuracy report ! How does it compare to the Kimber .22 ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I didnt even know the Sig 22's are out yet ... Sounds weird they want you to shoot a jacketed 22 bullet... who makes one..lol
    There are copper-washed game loads and whatnot - they're not proper jackets but enough to keep the barrels from leading.

Most of the upper end of the CCI line will be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer
    I am really looking forward to your detailed range/accuracy report ! How does it compare to the Kimber .22 ??
    I'll post once I've gathered some more data and a few more visits - and after my 4H kids have had a chance to play with it some. It's not how well it works for me, but rather for the 8-18 brigade and non-experienced shooters as well.

As far as comparing it to the Kimber 22, this is probably both in scale and price midway between that and the Walther P22. It's certainly a Sig, feels like one, handles like one, etc., so no complaints there.

I haven't shot one of the Kimbers - I have a Walther Olympia clone that fulfils my single action target geekery well enough. ;)

yeah i use the copperwashed loads never had any luck with winchesters thats for sure

That's pretty cool. I actually do love a good .22 pistol be it a S&W revolver, Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark II, etc.

In a different world where there was no need for personal protection I could see myself having nothing but .22s.

I bet the Mosquito's boat loads of fun.

Senior Moderator
    Ive been eyeballing those Sigs .22's ..I didnt think they were out yet.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did it set you back ? The Mosquito would make a great addition to my other 4 Sigs...

MSRP is $389.

I moonlight at a gun shop and do ordering, so I paid cost (the usual 20% less than that).

Senior Moderator
    Not bad...thanks.

I can see me owning one in the future...

Assistant Administrator
    I want one!!!! :biggrin'' - but maybe a 220 has to come first! Oh well! ...........

Thanks Robert for an excellent write-up.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links